Quote | Reply
Hi Sean

w308963

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, thanks for this.
Does Trek actually sell these little pieces and Can this part be ordered through the Trek Bike LBS store? I would just like to get a bag of say 30 pieces, I know that each little nylon trim clip or grommet probably only costs about $0.02 but I would like just a few spares. Alternatively, are you able to indicated who makes them so I can just buy them locally?
Thanks
Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SeanPM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any Trek dealer can order that part# for you in whatever quantity you want.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 2014 9.9 frame set (haven't received it yet). Can anyone tell me which set of bearings for a Rotor 3D crankset?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bonafide505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, make sure you've got a 3D and not a 3D+ (aka 3D-plus)...the latter is not compatible with any SC.

Rotor says the 3D cranks are Shimano compatible, so these are the BB90 kits your Trek dealer can order for you:

411813 ceramic
404699 steel

and you can now get CeramicSpeed BB90 kits from your Trek dealer as well...the Shimano versions available are:

518150 standard
518152 coated

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the older 3D.

Thanks Carl!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Maximized2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similiar creaking noise on a 2012. Been in a couple LBS - bottom bracket torn down but no solutions. Did you figure it out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry why can't you simply use a bb90 to 30mm adapter to fit the Rotor 3d+ or rotor power?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [themarker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bearing size required to get a 30mm spindle into the BB90 cups is so small as to raise serious concern over durability...never mind drag. Have yet to hear of a long-term successful installation of a system like that, and have yet to see the results of lab testing to support same. Not saying there aren't solutions being sold out there...saying we can't vouch for their effectiveness so we can't recommend them.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much Carl. Never thought bout the bearing size issue. I know of a friend team here in Italy that uses Canyon Spedmax (BB90+Rotor power) with no apparent issues, but i reckon that the kind of issue you are suggesting are more on a long term and/or on a professional drag and reliability standards. Thank you again,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, is it possible to just get the plastic stem cover for a 2014 long far stem? I, well my kids, stepped on my cover and obliterated it.
I don't see the separate part number.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assume you mean Low far? Yup, W326770

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops. High/far. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no prob: W326774

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Sorry I missed the seperate line in the manual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

Tried to search but can't find: early marketing materials claim the 2014 speed box 2 can fit two gel flasks. I can't to find one that fits--do you know what brand(s) were tested? Also, ever seen anyone mount a water bottle directly on the TT / is that a horrible aero idea?

Trying to find a way to keep concentrated infinit and a BTA bottle of water up front.

Love the SC, fits amazing and its flat out fast. Huge fan of my 7.5, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [adamas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey adamas-

Glad to hear you like the bike!

On the gel flask, try this?

As for toptube bottle mounting, you'll probably find a regular bottle interferes with your knees. I've tried mounting an aero bottle there and I found the additional height compared to a flask holder or speedbox was annoying for the same reason...but I may swing my knees in a little tighter at the top of the stroke than others, too. If you're going to try it I'd suggest starting with a smaller aero bottle like the Elite.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

The 2014 SC service manual lists the saddle clamp top and bottom plates as carbon in Kit 437030. Does this indicate the saddle rail material, or the clamp plate material? This type of clamp usually accommodates 7x9 carbon rails as well as 7x7. My clamp plates are aluminum. So neither makes sense unless the replacement kit only is made of carbon? If it matters, we goofed on the P1 seatpost setback and my great LBS (Livermore Cyclery) exchanged it. The one I'm using came packaged as a retail part.

Also, what are your thoughts on adjusting the brakes to accommodate different widths of wheel? I'm aware of the instructions regarding washer placement but when changing from, say, an Aeolus 5 D3 front to an H3C it is much easier to adjust the centering screws than it is to move washers if you do this with some frequency.

Thanks,
Jeff

PS: Very sneaky of you to offset the mounting post of the brake pad carriers slightly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeff-

You're right, the seatpost plates are aluminum...originally intended to be carbon but that didn't make it into production...the manual language must have been approved for publishing before the change was made. Thanks for the heads-up.

The brakes on the 2014 are best adjusted by the centering setscrews on the arms. For 2014 that feature was added to the rear brake while the front has always had it. Both processes are covered in the manual, front on pg27 and rear on pg30.

The brake pad posts are offset to clear the chainstays without having to cut pockets into them or use undersized pads like some other brands have in the past. Nothing sneaky about it.

Cheers!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So maybe been asked before, but I'll go ahead anyway. On my 2014 SC 7.5 I am running Bontrager Aeolus 7/9 wheel set up. With the new R4 aero tire, can I run the 700x22 or does a tire that thin on the wide rim eliminate the aero advantage?

I put the 22s on and it seems that the aero 'wing' doesn't come out and mate to the rim edge (which is much wider that 22mm. Do I need a wider tire? I grabbed the 22s since they were on overstock sale.
Thanks.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TriTJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The R4Aero is the fastest tire we've tested for those rims right now.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl. Does the Zipp Super 9 disc fit on the new speed concept? I have heard it doesn't fit all frames due to the fact it isn't "flat".
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've run that disc in the tunnel on the SC, and the team has had some too.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I guess that means...it does fit. Putting aside cost, is there a "better" (faster) disc for the SC?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't tested a faster disk on the SC...but a wheelcover on pretty much any of the Aeolus D3 clinchers (clincher because you can run the R4Aero tire) has tested slightly faster...and is more versatile.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next