Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [cldtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noel is correct. Those PNs include the cover and bolts.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl-
Just picked up a used 2014 SC 9 frame and I need to replace some missing parts that would presumably have come with the complete bike, such as the BB bearings. My questions:

1. In addition to buying an appropriate BB90 bearing set (I'm looking at the Enduro XD-15 ceramic GXP compatible to pair with my Quarq S900), do I need to order the "axle shield" #281823 (per SC service manual)? I will have internal Di2 cables & junction box in that area that probably need to be shielded from a moving axle. Or would the plastic sleeve that comes with my Di2 EW-7975 fit (it looks like its for threaded BB's though)

2. I saw mention in the service manual: "Note: The 2014 Speed Concept frame uses an integrated carbon fiber front hanger. This hanger requires a special spherical washer to allow you to adjust the position of the derailleur. Do not use the washer from the derailleur manufacturer. The Speed Concept spherical washer, which is identical to the one used on the 2013 Madone, is PN 319576." The 3 major Trek dealers I contacted could not find this part number in their system. Is it truly necessary? If so, can I get it directly from Trek? [EDIT: Is this part included in the Speed Concept Frame Hardware Kit?]

3. Does the 2014 use the same work stand adapters (#403494 & 416101) as the previous generation?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by: heliskyr: Mar 17, 15 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy-

1) If you order the bearing kit from your Trek dealer the axle shield comes with it. 411814 is the GXP ceramic kit. The shields are not stocked separately (as in, no dealer is going to find one listed in our ordering system...it's possible a dealer might have a loose one lying around).

2) Yes, you need that washer on the 9-series 2014 SC to properly distribute the clamping force of the FD mounting bolt into the carbon hanger...to use the OE FD bolt risks damaging the frame. That PN is wrong in the text on pg 23 of the service manual (nice catch)...but the correct # is in the table on page 22: W319573. In very limited stock right now by itself...but also is included in 2014 SC frame parts kit 437032...which might include other things you need?

3) Yes

4) All of the parts you mention in this section exist in the dealer ordering system. Not every employee at every dealer is experienced in using that system..which is why we have inside and outside sales reps and technical service reps who are very good at navigating it and the shop can call any of them for help. Also, very few of the small parts or individual monospacers (for example) are likely to be in stock at any dealer anywhere, as they come in the box with bikes bought brand new...meaning there's very little demand for them otherwise. It's hard for dealers to have a bunch of $ tied up in stock that doesn't turn over very often...whether that's bikes or bits...so we stock it for them at our warehouses...which they can order from and (domestically anyway, assuming it's in stock there) the parts can be on the way within a day or so.

Draftbox II 433746
Speedbox II 436152
15mm monospacer W326500...subsequent heights (25mm, 35mm, 45mm) just start counting up from there (W326501, -502, -503)

Hope this helps!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of your help Carl! I can honestly say that on all the bike-specific forums I follow you are by far the most responsive & knowledgeable bike company representative I've encountered, so kudos!

Prior to seeing your reply I pulled the trigger on the Enduro XD-15 BB90 as the extreme durability of those bearings will be quite useful here in Seattle. So I'll see if I can mod the Di2 sleeve that came with my wire kit to serve the same purpose. Big ask: Any chance you have a schematic or length measurement of the Trek sleeve available? That would help me get the length perfect without trial and error.

Also, I was able to find a lot of the other parts on a Trek store online after much manual digging (the parts didn't show up in search results making it a little more difficult to find) so I'll pick up the Draft Box & Speed Box 2, mono spacers, frame small parts, & the work stand adapters. So the picture's coming together! Can't wait to get that bad boy rolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a 2-part sleeve, one half telescoping into the other half. It seats on the innermost molded groove in the BB shell, so each half has a flange which is 34mm in diameter and 1mm thick.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! So it's self-adjusting for length... I may need to get creative with that Di2 sleeve then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl! Sorry if this might have been asked before but what is the widest tire I can get on the 1st gen SC using a sub 9 or super 9 rear and 1080 front? For long distance biking up to 1200 kms, so I'm focusing on ride comfort. Perhaps a 28 or 25?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be able to get 25s in there...though profiles (and widths) vary for the "same" size tire from different brands and on different wheels, so the only way to know for sure is to put them on and see what you get.

The larger you go the more risk of picking up road debris that may scratch your paint or become lodged between tire and frame, too...this is especially true if you're going to be offroad at any point and even more so if you expect wet conditions. FMB Paris-Roubaix tubies measure out near 27-28 when mounted on a set of Aeolus 5 D3 rims, and I was able to run those on a 7-series SC for Dairy Roubaix a couple years ago...but if there had been any rain at all there's no way I could've used them because the clearance at the rear wheel was on the order of 1-2mm.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for the quick reply! Will try 25s then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a UCI legal 2014 SC and would like to buy a couple of random parts... do you know the part number?

1) Where the draft box goes. It's just open rivets, it doesn't have the black plastic part screwed in. I need to buy that before I can fit the Gen 2 draft box on, correct?

2) Can I still put a speed fin on my bike? If so, can I buy that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

So I went with the XL...thanks for the recommendation. Been stuck indoors on the trainer but hope to take it out soon. One thing I didn't realize - the "y-shaped" front end doesn't really allow for the BTA solutions that most companies offer. Is there anything you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the Bontrager carbon bottle cage with the computer mount - it's really nice.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mounting rail for the draft box comes with it. Draft box 2 PN is 433746. Speedfin is w326750.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As davecochrane said, we offer a complete cage solution, part# 436151
You can also get just the mounting rail for that system, which any standard cage mounts to and/or provides a place to mount other horizontal BTA bottle products. That's part# 512178.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. How do I search for those SKUs? On the Bontrager site, if I search for those numbers I don't come up with any results. BTW, rode the Trek for the first time today outside. Fantastic results. Absolutely fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you like the bike! Those part #s are what your Trek dealer uses to order those accessories.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 2014 bike's stem cover, there are only holes on the sides to allow my Di2 cabling to come out. Nothing on the top center like in the picture below:

http://www.tririg.com/...pt_Review&num=19

Is this a special cover that I can purchase or is this aftermarket creativity?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's DIY creativity on display. The intended port for Di2 wires is exactly opposite that location...if you look on the underside of the stem cover towards the front you'll see a rectangular section kind of like the knock-out on an electrical box...that's what we intended for you to remove and run the wires through, with the junction box oriented 180deg from what Nick did.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I promised I tried to search for it on this thread, but its gotten too big and I was unable to find it anywhere!
Anyways, I am looking at a 7.5, is there any clearance issues with wide rims? 25mm wide ones?
Thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issue

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh one last thing, any clearance issues with Stages PM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there are people riding stages on SCs...don't know what cranks they're using...that one you might have to run a search on. I'd use keywords SC and stages.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No issues on a large gen 2 running 175mm ultegra with stages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running a Dura Ace 9000 172.5mm w/ Stages PM on my 2nd Gen SC, medium frame size, with speed fin brake cover. No problems.
Quote Reply

Prev Next