Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a sinking suspicion I ordered wires that are too short. 500mm for the shifters ('14 ski mono extension) 700mm for the downtube, 750mm for the battery (I sent you the message last week about mounting the battery on the backside of the water bottle cage), 700mm rear derailleur, 400mm front derailleur. Size large frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I have a sinking suspicion I ordered wires that are too short. 500mm for the shifters ('14 ski mono extension) 700mm for the downtube, 750mm for the battery (I sent you the message last week about mounting the battery on the backside of the water bottle cage), 700mm rear derailleur, 400mm front derailleur. Size large frame.

so what follows assumes you'll mount the EW90 5-port box on the back of the stem cover or very near to that location (e.g. on the back end of the monoextension), and that the JC41 junction box lives in/near the BB (as is most common):

• that shifter length should cover any human fit...orangutans might need more
  • nothing wrong with FD or RD as far as being too short
  • downtube definitely seems short...downtube length on a large is about 630mm, leaving you almost nothing to get from headtube opening up through the front of a "-far" stem, for example...I might shoot for at least 800mm here, and 900 would make life a lot easier for doing the initial routing and connections
  • similar story here for your battery placement idea...and same recommendations, though I might lean even more heavily towards 900mm

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I changed the 700mm and 750mm to 850mm and 950mm (800 and 900 were out of stock). I should be able to stuff the slack in the downtube, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
absolutely

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to chip in here and say that I am hugely impressed by the level of service and thoughtful responses you have provided to Andrei (and everyone else) in this thread, Carl.

I sized Andrei on our Exit cycle last May, he is racing Ironman distance and we went with what I believe is a fairly aggressive long distance setup for amateur racing. As Andrei suggested, I don't envisage him going 4-5cm lower any time soon unless he switches to pure time trialling. I've attached a photo of the final position on which the numbers are based.

I have been away this weekend, back in the studio this morning, and based on the numbers and your charts I would agree that the Small frame/Medium Far setup will be the best combination of handling, comfort and aesthetics.

As a professional bike fitter I am always aware that aesthetics of the final setup - spacers, stem length etc. - are very important to most buyers, and rightly so.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
Just wanted to thank you a lot for your support and your thoughts about the frame choice.
Definetly i don't want to risk anything with the medium frame even if that means other stem than the low one.

As Richard said i am very impressed by the level of your professionism.
Thank you so much,
Andrei
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl - you've been quite helpful on this thread and I am hoping you can do the same for me. I have spent the last couple months trying to choose a bike but unfortunately every Miami bike shop likes to recommend whatever bike they carry. I finally broke down and shelled out the $250 for the Retul fitting and the system suggested a Trek SC L, but I am on a Felt 58 now - which is too small - so I am nearly convinced that I should opt for the XL. Unfortunately the bike shop couldn't even send me my results in PDF so I had to write down the measurements on my friend's Retul report. The pic is below - if you can take a look and give me your opinion I would be eternally grateful. I have spent way, way too much time on this bike search. And yes, I have extremely long legs, 6'2" and a 37" inseam.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no prob, tremink

you could fit on a Large with a couple different stem combinations, but neither checks as many boxes as the XL with medium-near stem...right in the middle of the overall adjustment range for that size bike, pads nicely centered on the bar, nails the basebar stack, and appropriate for your saddle height.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many, many thanks Carl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I know you've said you're not involved with the Trek Care Plan before, but do you have any information about it not being in existence any more. The dealer I took my bike too for a new cable said the company that ran it is out of business and therefore isn't accepting claims. I have 2 trek bikes, 12 and 14 months old. Have the plan on both bikes.

Any information would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know much beyond what's been posted or linked to (in the other thread) already. Dealers who have questions or want more info to help answer questions like yours can find the answers in the Trek Care Plus FAQ on their ordering system (Dexter).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Carl, similar question to last post, i have an opportunity to get a small 2014 SC, with my fit info embedded, would a small SC 9 work for me? I assume i can change/order new cockpit risers/spacers etc...?

John

Last edited by: jlafren42: Feb 10, 15 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Small can work, but with those #s I like you better on a Medium, with the medium-far stem. If you get a 9-series or a P1 7-series you get the whole monospacer set.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info Carl, my fitter said essentially the same thing, he could get a small to work, but much easier to make it work with a medium

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl - I ordered the stack kit...and got ONE 5mm spacer in the kit...so, $40 to get one of each spacer? Really?? Is there any way I could get my hands on another 5mm spacer just by itself (and preferably not for another $40)...

Paying $80 to lower my bars 1/2 cm is a bit outrageous...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [moparflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moparflyer wrote:
Really??

Carl wrote:
OE spec was a stack which included 1x5mm, 2x10mm, and 1x25mm spacers, and that's how replacement kits are sold...PN 420552.

apologize for not making it clear the stacks are sold per side...IOW, you'd need two such stacks...perhaps you'd have some luck in the ST classifieds? a quick search there shows that PSJoyce and paxfobiscum both tried that route...might ask if they were successful?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Carl, I'll see what I can find. Appreciate your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When will this be available in USA and when can I pre-order?

"Introducing the Bontrager Speed Concept 2-Pack Aero Secure Storage system. The all new Speed Concept idea to reduce drag and still be able to carry all of your essential tools and equipment without weighing your jersey pockets down. Seamlessly fits to any standard 74mm water bottle holder. There is a quick release mount which allows you to completely remove the box from the bike, for when you don’t need that extra bit of storage. This product is compatible with 2014 and 2015 Trek Speed Concept bikes."

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dgreen624] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks fantastic - can I ask what sort of a premium you paid over the off-the-shelf SC7.5? I'm about ready to ditch my Plasma for either this year's 7.5 or a '13 9.8 that I can get for the same price (but is a size L, which may or may not be right for me). Did you have a really long delivery wait?

Would love the regular 7.5 but the colour scheme available (for NZ anyway) isn't really doing it for me. I'd love the radioactive orange!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, quick question, I have a SC 7.5 size small. The past few months I noticed some rust leaking from the bottom bracket bearings on the left side. I figured the crank just needed adjustment so I did that and greased all parts. A month later the same thing happened so cleaned/greased it again but it keeps happening after a few rides. It seems the orange plastic seal that isn't working and anytime I ride on the trainer and sweat drips, the rust leaks away. (links to pics below). A friend also bought the same bike/size and she has the very same issue (actually worst) so it seems is some sort of defective sealer. I contacted my LBS where I bought the bike to get this replaced and figure out a fix as buying new bearings every few months isn't an option. I am waiting for a response but would you have any suggestions how to address this? Thank you for your help!

PS. I'll ask my friend to post pictures as well.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2zpr1pc.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/125mhqt.jpg

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I have the same exact problem as Jorge M. I own SC 7.5 and the bike is less than 6 months old. Every time I ride whether indoors or outdoors my bottom bracket on the left side leaks rust. It is obviously much more noticeable when riding indoors, but happens even outdoors. I had the bike completely cleaned inside and out before my IM, and when I returned from the race this is what it looked like (See below). That is only after about 150 miles of riding.

When I ride indoors, this is what the floor and my crank looks like after 60 minutes. I even cover my top tube but it doesn't matter. The longer I ride, the worse it gets, and I am literally afraid I may melt my bike from under me.

Any suggestions on how to address this? Thank you so much!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. sorry :(

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jorge M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First I've heard of it. I've put in a query to the Quality guys to see if there are reports coming in from other angles (like your shop, for example).

Have to admit, it does seem odd that this would only happen from trainer usage...though in the absence any ride-generated breeze gravity will take your sweat (or products of a leaky bottle or hose/straw) right to the lowest part of the bike, so maybe not all that unusual. There are products to help with that...are you using one? A fan to help keep you dry (and cool) while you are locked in?

More questions to help me get accurate info back to the Quality guys:

The bike has never been out in the rain, or washed? Brand new bearings have been put in and the same thing happened to them? Was the bearing function poor when they were checked or was it OK and just looked really bad?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [czechchick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there-

see my answer to Jorge M...same questions, thanks!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the response. It definitely doesn't only happen on the trainer but it is just more evident and easier to see it. I do cover my top tube when riding indoors and do use a fan most of the time. The bearings were never replaced, just cleaned and put back in. One race, 150 miles later and no indoor riding, the rust was back. I don't notice any poor functioning but any extra friction is taking away watts/speed as you know.

Thanks!

Jana
Quote Reply

Prev Next