Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.5 mm. Game over. That ruins everything. ;)
Last edited by: zachboring: Oct 17, 14 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a low near stem available for the first generation speed concept?
Quote Reply
Gen 1 Stem [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl -

It looks like the Gen1 stems are no longer for sale on the website? Or do I need to head to a shop to have them order me one?

When breaking down my bike for a race a bit ago I noticed that my stem is suffering from some really bad corrosion and it's probably a good idea to replace it.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 Stem [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A dealer should have no trouble ordering one up...all sizes in stock.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I lost my barrel nut too when I shipped my bike. How can I get a replacement without buying the whole wedge assembly?
Seems silly to buy a $30 wedge for a $.50 piece......
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [grad98cofc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it were a part at high risk of loss or damage, it might be stocked separately...but the seatpost wedge needs to be completely disassembled in order for that nut to come free, and disassembly isn't necessary for wedge function.

The barrel nut design didn't change when the rest of the the wedge design did (from the original 11Nm version to the improved 7.2Nm version), so it's possible that a Trek dealer or another original SC owner might have that first-generation wedge sitting around and you could scavange the part from that.

On the off chance that your wedge is in fact the original 11Nm version, you can get it replaced with the new one under warranty.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have have the 7.2Nm version. I checked with my local Trwk dealer, they don't have any.
Anyone on the board have an extra one laying around?
My only other option is to buy the whole wedge assembly.

There is a high risk of loss for this part, clearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
ah...my mistake (reading too fast)...you need the barrel nut I take it, not the bolt. PM me your particulars and let's see what I can find.

Please, can someone help me out? Carl???

I just need the barrel nut. I've been to 4 bike shops - all Trek dealers, none of them have this in stock. I even went to ACE hardware, but it's clearly some proprietary Trek size.

mark.aroneck@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice quote! roughly 3yrs ago is when the changeover happened and I had several wedges & parts within arm's reach...that's not the case anymore. the gentleman you quoted ended up going to a dealer who had one of the old ones and swapped out the nut for him.

it's not surprising the dealers wouldn't have a wedge (new or old) in stock...it's not a high demand item anymore. that said, the new version is in stock (W311236) and could be to any one of those dealers in a few days.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they could.
My point is I don't need the whole damn wedge, and think it's really unfair that I have to pay $30 for a 59 cent barrel nut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're in luck...I dug into the dark corners of my parts bins and managed to find one. PM me your shipping info and I'll have it on the way today.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Post deleted by grad98cofc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
you're in luck...I dug into the dark corners of my parts bins and managed to find one. PM me your shipping info and I'll have it on the way today.

Thanks Carl, you've been extremely kind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl-
I'm replacing the cockpit screws in my series 2 speed concept with stainless (as suggested by previous post)- what are the lengths, diameters etc. of those screws- arm pad, stem, etc. Service manual specifies trek part number, but not actual dimensions of screws. thanks

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [shelgemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Want to make sure I'm answering the right question...are you talking about a 2014 Speed Concept (and what model) or are you talking about a 2-Series Speed Concept from 2010-2013?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2014, 9.9 with the thinnest spacer, size small
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost all of the cockpit hardware on the 2014 bike is already stainless, and the rest has some form of anti-corrosion coating. What bolts specifically are you seeing rust on?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It must be the combo of salty sweat and leaky bottles, but all of them seem to be developing a veneer of corrosion. I was not as fastidious with my maintenance/cleaning when I first got the bike (in April). One shop that looked at it said the hardware on the bike- cockpit and the rear brake assembly didn't seem like they were properly coated after assembly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if it's all of them, why not just get the parts kit which has all of them vs trying to source them all individually? 437027 covers everything above and forward of the headset...including the custom bolts (like the two holding your mono to the monospacer) which you aren't going to be able to source anywhere.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where can i order that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any Trek dealer

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks- not available direct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, we work through our dealers...particularly on service parts like these.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
different question- when is the 2 pack-behind the saddle-storage that was described as an aero solution for the bike coming out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I wish I knew as well. Sorry I have nothing to report.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next