Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bobknox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It varies...a lot. We do our own BB bearing testing to assist the product managers in OE spec decisions, and ceramics have been included in those efforts, but those results and how we rank them (cost vs life, etc) aren't necessarily applicable to an aftermarket-oriented question like I'm guessing yours is. More to the point, within "ceramic" bearings there's a lot of variation to begin with and we certainly haven't tested everything that's available on the market...so it's hard to give a definitive answer.

This article (and the ceramics portion in particular) is a great introduction to the topic. The frictionfacts guys don't go after the lifetime question, but their BB bearing results are still useful for those who want to come up with their own (short term?) value calculations. (yes, you have to pay to get the brand names associated with the results)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl,

The ceramic bearing bottom bracket was an option on the SC 9 series P1 order. I don't remember the exact cost but $150 sounds familiar. I had assumed that it was a shimano part but maybe it is after market and installed by Trek. Would you know what ceramic part is being used?

Regards,

Bob Knox
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off the top of my head, no. I think they're made by Enduro, but which of their many offerings I don't know. You or the shop could always look for identifying info on the bearing seals when the bike arrives and try to track down any additional info that way.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
I have a 2014 Trek SC 7.5, I am wishing to upgrade it to shimano Di2, Do you have parts lists or is it possible?

Any information appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [meerkite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's a thread on the subject

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Aug 5, 14 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fixed this. Thanks for the advice!

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Zev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is
Zev wrote:
Had to share with the family as it just arrived tonight:[/q
uote]

Is that "lime green"?!!! Looks way better then the paint chips they have at LBS. Anyone know.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, it is.

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mr.Bump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Firstly, apologies if this has come up before, but I've spent the last few days trying to search the forum with no luck - and I'm not sure if that's because I don't know how to search correctly or if the topic hasn't been covered before.

I have recently purchased a second hand 2011 SC 9. I am extremely happy with my choice and already setting some new segment PB's! However, the current groupset on the bike has a mismatch of 10 speed parts with a Dura Ace 7800 chainset. In order to be able to chop and change wheels between my road bike and my SC, I thought I would change the groupset to Ultegra 6800 11 speed (mechanical), but in doing so, I have the following questions:
  1. Do I need to replace the chainset when moving from a 10 speed to 11 speed? I have spoken to two LBS's on this and the one said that you could probably get away with using a 10speed chainset and an 11speed chain. What are your thoughts on this? (ignoring the fact that I will end up with a mismatched groupset if I do this).
  2. On a similar topic, would I need a specific 11spd front derailleur or would the Dura Ace 7800 work with 11spd?
  3. Lastly, assuming that I do purchase the new chainset, do I need to purchase a new bottom bracket component or will the 11spd fit into the existing component on the bike?

Depending on your answers, my shopping list is thus:
  • Ultegra 6800 11 spd chainset (tbc)
  • Ultegra 6800 11spd braze on front derailleur (tbc)
  • Ultegra 6800 11spd rear derailler
  • Dura Ace 9000 11 spd bar end shifters
  • Ultegra 6800 11spd chain

Ignoring the cassette which I already have.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this!

Regards,
Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Nords] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd probably be better off going to your LBS or Shimano for the answers...seriously...but here goes:

-cranks are pretty insensitive to the switch
-FD cable pull ratio changed when they went to 11spd, so you probably need to match the product "age" to ensure compatibility...i.e. a 5800, 6800, or 9000 FD with your 9000 shifters...I did try matching up a 9000 FD with my older 10spd DA TT shifters and it's not a happy combo.
-they didn't change their Hollowtech2 BB design with the 11spd cranks so yes you'd be able to drop an 11spd Shimano crankset right in if you bought one

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Responses very much appreciated - thanks Carl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am reassembling the Speed Concept with Di2 components. I noticed there is a pink plastic tube "noodle" attached to the rear brake guide. How important is this piece? Mine is split and frayed. Could I substitute it with shimano's bc-9000 brake ferrule?

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/...Cabling/P1010707.JPG

Or could this be left out? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Neoryan7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's not critical, but it does improve the feel of the rear brake. if the bc-9000 fits in there you could certainly use it instead.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi, any out there know or have speed concept clamp tat guy has in TriRig or know where i can get 9 series (2012) extension clamps under the arm pads. I got bad customer service from trek last year while buying my sister an sc. They said they were in the box but they werent.
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?

the TriRig clamps are not a Trek product, so they wouldn't be "in the box".

is there a Trek part you didn't get? it's a little hard to tell from your description...are you talking about the "P-clamps" that the armpad holders attach to?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Carl for the vague question. I thought tririg was a simple answer to what I need but here is the Long story Cut short....
. Bought sister 9 series(old model). Chip or a mark was on the frame so my lbs sent it back. When It returned the extension bar plus the arm pads weren't there. I need all the pieces that connect the extension bars. They won't admit blame.
How she got away with it until now is because I myself own an SC and she used mine.
I'm in the USA at the world para championship in Greenville South Carolina, with the irish squad so if there is anywhere close to here I can go I will.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, just wondering your thoughts on the internal battery mount for the new Trek Speed Concept. I asked my local bike shop to order it awhile back and when they finally got around to building it (after 5wks...) I asked if they ordered/installed the mount and they told me I didn't need it because its already a tight fit in the seat post... Is this something I should tell them I want for sure or will it be fine?

Thanks

- Jake
------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the difficulties. Will PM you for more details.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jcooley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jake-

The inside of the carbon post for the 2014 SC isn't a controlled surface along the entire length like the outside, so while it's possible that the battery can be wedged way up in there there's no guarantee it'll stay there. We designed and tooled up a dedicated battery holder (part # W332400) for that exact reason.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else have issues with the Draft Box cover popping off their 2014 SC 9? Every time I hit a bump (bridge transition, crack in road, etc.) the lid pops off the box and it hangs by the tether cord to the side of the box. I have to stop the bike and get off and fix it. I finally put a piece of electrical tape on the box and lid to hold it in place.

Sound like a warranty issue. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check this out

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
check this out

Thanks Carl!

I had resorted to taping mine shut :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bobknox wrote:
Does anyone else have issues with the Draft Box cover popping off their 2014 SC 9? Every time I hit a bump (bridge transition, crack in road, etc.) the lid pops off the box and it hangs by the tether cord to the side of the box. I have to stop the bike and get off and fix it. I finally put a piece of electrical tape on the box and lid to hold it in place.

Sound like a warranty issue. Thoughts?

Got mine replaced by my dealer under warranty in 3 days. The new one is rock solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke the damn front brake cover. I don't suppose I can order a replacement myself online. Part # anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on the model year and the size SC you have

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next