Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Switching from a shiv to a speed concept......... having bike envy watching my friend roll around on his 9 series all summer so i am taking the plunge!

Time frame on a 9 series project 1 build?
Any changes with 2015 frame or components?

Thanks in advance

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time frame very dependent on your choices with respect to components and paint...so no easy answer there. Create something through the configurator on the P1 website and see what your Trek dealer says about lead time.

Colors & components (groupsets) often change to keep up with the times and consumer trends, so it's likely you'll see some differences there between 2014 & 2015 bikes. Platform is only about a year old, so I'd say frame-level changes are unlikely.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl thanks for fast response will follow up with LBS, i am looking a DA 9070 Di2, can't see that really changing to much over next 6 months?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea if 9070 is changing. What can change is availability of 9070, or any other component choice. That's where it's sometimes nice to do this in person with a dealer (could be kind of involved...some dealers may want you to make an appointment), because then in near-real-time you/they can see the effects of making changes here and there.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, my friend and I both ordered P1... his DA Di2 with stock paint was quoted as 50 days lead time. My P1 Ultegra Di2 with custom paint was quoted at 45 days and is actually coming about a week early according to my LBS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I recently bought a SC 7.5; per the SC size charts PDF file from Trek I ordered the size S with a medium/near stem. My #s are:
Arm pad reach - 495mm
Arm pad stack - 580mm
Base bar stack - 550mm
Base bar reach - 530mm

Everything looks great except I don't know how o get the bars low enough to match my current bike fit numbers (Felt DA) to match my saddle/bars drop to 13cm. I did a Google sreach and looked in The Trek website for the Speed Concept Manual (pdf format) and I am assuming that with the stem I have there is no way I can adjust and I may need a different stem and spacers for the bars? Below is a pic of the stem that came with the bike, not sure how to determine if it is the medium/near and if it is but can't adjust it, I need to contact my LBS asap to get a different stem. Thanks for your help!

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jorge M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stock 7.5 in Small comes with a medium-near stem and that's what you've got pictured. the lowest it goes for pad stack is 600mm and that's only with the lowest monospacer, 15mm. stock spacer on the 7.5 is the 25mm, if I remember correctly.

to get down to 580 (and keep your pad reach in range) you need the low-far stem and the 35mm monospacer (and the 5mm pad wing spacer). the stem is PN 436146 and the 35mm monospacer is w326502.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Jorge Martinez
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

Is there any chance that the 7 series will come in UCI legal version?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

What is the part number for the little metal frame protector (near the bottom bracket) that is meant to save the frame in case of chain-suck? I think I need to pick up a dozen of these and learn how to install them myself as this will be my 3rd fix for this issue...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ngless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
w302284

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

I have a 2011 Speed Concept 7.5. The pins that hold the rear derailleur to the frame keep coming lose. One of them fell out completely and is gone and the other is just very lose. If i buy a new derailleur hanger will it come with new pins? Or whats the best fix for this? If i line it all up and put a wheel on it holds it all in place but its a pain when i take the wheel off and the derailleur falls off the frame.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bolts come separately, so if you wish, you can get just those vs replacing everything. there were a couple running changes to the hanger over the first 3yrs of production, so which bolts you need depend on which hanger you have. here's the breakdown.

one solution to bolts which repeatedly come loose is a threadlock compound like Loctite 242 (blue).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Per your advise I got the low-far stem with the 35mm mono spacer and pad wing and I am close to get to the same coordinates of my current bike fit. Only thing off is my saddle/aero bar pad drop now is 14cm which is 1cm lower than my current. What would be the solution to raise it? A pad wing?

Also, the cable housing seems pretty tight with the low-far stem to the point I can't screw the cover. The current set up has housing running from bottom to top tub and then connecting to the housing running for the shifters/rear break. (That's how it came). It seems the housing connectors run on top of stem and makes it tight and even clunky to turn fork. I was wondering if I just run housing from shifters/rear break all the way through (without connectors) will be the fix or if you have other suggestions. Thanks for all the help once again!

Jorge Martinez
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you need 10mm more of pad stack the way to do it is the 45mm monospacer...which, with the pad wing spacer, would give you a pad stack of 590. maybe first you should doublecheck the pad stack your current setup gives you? should be 580, which is what you specified.

the housing run from shifters and rear brake lever may have gotten longer with the new stem and monospacer (stack didn't change much, but bar reach did), so if you didn't increase the housing length to compensate then yes it will be tighter. has nothing to do with the connectors. you need to increase the housing length whether it's just the short sections from bar to connectors, or the length from shifters/brakes to the housing stops at the BB if you use full housing without the connectors.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having slept on it, I'm going to walk that second bit back a little...even if you are at a good length, the connectors shouldn't be "stacked up" in the same place under the stem cover and especially not right over the point where the stem clamps onto the internal steerer...they should be staggered forward and behind that point. Or, don't use them at all and it'll just make larger changes to your position more involved because you'll have to replumb the while bike vs just the bar.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, hope you are well mate...
Are you able to confirm the below list for a 11sp di2 upgrade of my 2013 speed concept 9 series size small... Currently I have the 100/10 stem though am looking to buy the 100/45 stem as I have it maximally spaced... I will prob end up using Ultegra derailleurs to save money and the extra few grams are not that crucial to me... I have read through most of this thread and have also looked at other suggestions and this is the list I have so far...

- DA 11 speed TT switches (sw r671)
- DA 9071 di2 11 sp TT road lever brake set
- Ultegra 6870 braze on FD
- Ultegra 6870 11 sp rear derailleur
- Internal battery SMBTR2 (will fit in seatpost)
- Battery charger SMBCR2
- Junction A SMEW90 5 port
- Junction B SMJC41 internal
- E tube wires (additional cables to purchase...
(Down tube 700mm, FD wire 300mm, RD wire 500mm and Battery wire 300mm)).

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mr.Bump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're going to take a chance on the internal battery fitting/staying in the old seatpost you'll probably want a longer wire to get to it from the junction box at the BB...I'd recommend 800mm or so to ensure you can get the post and battery out of the frame without unplugging.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Hoping you can help me / point me in the right direction.

At the end of our club ride this morning a teammate made an unfortunate move that made mecrash my belowed SC 9.9. Very slow crash as it was at an intersection, but an unfortunate landing broke my rear derailliure hanger...

I have been able to unscrew the reamining piece from the frame, and it doesn't look too damaged, but I would like to have your professional opinion.

From what I have read it looks like this part should be replaceable?!?

Do you have an email that I could email you a few pictures on? Don't seem to be able to attach pics here.

Brgds //Peter Karlsson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [swepete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Peter-

I hope you came out of the crash OK. The best inspection and assessment of the damage would be done in-person by your Trek dealer. I can't make anything more than a good guess based on pictures. In general, so long as the frame portion of the dropout hasn't been damaged and only the replaceable hanger broke then yes it can be replaced.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am absolutely fine, just irate that I will miss the Swedish National Masters Championships next Saturday, where I have a 7th place to defend from last year... :-(

All I was after from you was to have a look at a couple of pics to a/ see that I haven't broken off anything completely vital, and b/ to see which year model I need of the hanger.

I have seen that there's both a 2011 and a 2012 version of the Speed Concept 9.9 rear derailleur hanger, and I am unsure what to get. I bought my bike in 2012 but not sure if it is a 2011 or 2012 model. Thought there was no difference.

Do the replacement hangers come with screws? If not, what do I need there?

Br//Peter K
Last edited by: swepete: Aug 3, 14 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [swepete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's a link to the breakdown of different hangers and bolts across the years of original SC production.

I know what you were after with the pictures...I don't know if there's a minimum # of posts required before you can post pics (like there is for classifieds or private messages)...have you tried going through the steps Slowman outlined in this post?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I tried the instructions. Didn't work. Guess because I am new to the forum.

Br/Peter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, I ordered the ceramic bearings for the bottom bracket for my '14 SC 9 series and I'm hoping that I don't regret the decision. I'm concerned about the amount of long-ride & Ironman training I do on the bike and when they will need replacement. What is the life span rating (miles??) for the ceramic bottom bracket? How does that compare to the steel bearings?

Appreciate it.
Last edited by: bobknox: Aug 3, 14 17:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next