Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [olbmtb52] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2011 SC 9 bike had the same "popping" sound and it was actually coming from the plastic cover over the cabling and stem bolts. I took off the plastic cover and cleaned the plastic and the base bar with rubbing alcohol. It was covered with old Powerbar Perform drink gunk that had gotten on the base bars and under the cover. Once cleaned and reassembled the "popping" disappeared.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bobknox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
I was involved in a crash at Ironman Texas on my '11 SC 9.9 and the derailleur hanger portion of the frame cracked off. See photo. Can it be repaired? If no, can I use this as an alternative: http://wheelsmfg.com/...leur-hanger-158.html

Thanks,
Brian

2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.9
2010 Trek Madone 5.5
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brian.pautsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the dropout bonded into the frame is broken. that's not repairable or replaceable, other than through a crash replacement of the frame.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
the dropout bonded into the frame is broken. that's not repairable or replaceable, other than through a crash replacement of the frame.

Might be a silly question...
Is a "crash replacement of the frame" anything special? Or are you just saying I need to replace the frame? I asked my LBS and they said the lead time is 88 days. Thanks again.

Thanks,
Brian

2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.9
2010 Trek Madone 5.5
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brian.pautsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, just an awkward reference to what's commonly referred to here as a "crash replacement" frame...different from warranty replacement...usually discounted from regular pricing in the name of customer loyalty.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

It appears that the rubber gasket that's on the inside of the non-drive side chainstay for the duotrap has gotten stuck inside the chainstay. I don't really want to fish around for it too much for fear of damaging the carbon around the opening. Do you see any issues with leaving it where it is? Does that opening for the duotrap extend down the length of the chainstay, and would it take in water in the rain if I leave the gasket in there?

Thanks,
Anando
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

nothing really wrong with leaving it in there. whether or not you choose to put a new one in is up to you. your frame is going to take in water whether that gasket is there or not. no frame is 100% weather sealed.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl Iv sorted out my creaking for the stem thanks, this was hiding a slight creak from bottom bracket. I got the bearing changed today as they seemed most likely, hmm still not. It's only on the left leg side at bottom of pedal stroke? Any ideas....? It was local bike shop that fitted bearings.

Cheer
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I posted the following in a separate forum, and was kindly directed to this thread. I'm hoping that someone can help!

My wife has a 2011 Trek Speed Concept 7 series (white, pink, black). We recently 'upgraded' her crank from the stock SRAM to a Shimano Ultegra FC-6700. In order to place the crank, I had to switch out the bearings. According to the Trek Owners Manual, the Shimano kit is #404699 (which is the BB90 series). I ordered a set of Enduro BB90 from a local bike shop. The bearings fit without difficulty, but I can't secure the non-drive side crank arm- the seals for the bearings make the distance too wide. If I remove the seals, the cranks operate with no problem. As far as I can tell, I've placed everything properly (used a press for the bearings, flush with the frame, etc). Any suggestions?

Thanks.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl - I'm sure this has been asked on here somewhere, but I can't find it. Can you tell me the differences between the SC 7 and SC 9? Link somewhere maybe?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try changing pedals.

check chainring bolts for tightness.

after that, I've got nothing because I can't see the bike in person. shops are good for that :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jdoctwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 2011 7-series isn't BB90...it's BB86...BB86 is a press-fit system, where the bearings are already contained in cups and have their own integrated seals. most look something like this:

the original SC service manual only covered the 9-series bike. the Shimano pressfit BB PN for your 2011 7-series is 419088 from your Trek dealer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tc_tri_texan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
original SC:

• 7-series heavier and slightly stiffer, not made in US, no external-steerer style fork, standard front brake
2014 SC

• 7-series has aluminum dropouts vs 9-series carbon, 7-series slightly heavier

ETA: you can find more info on the 2014's via the product pages for each model on our website...likewise the bike archives for the pre-2014 bikes

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Jul 15, 14 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. I'll give it a go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl, I'll check it out. There must be some differences in the carbon layup since there is a weight difference but no other differences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the weight difference comes from the difference in carbon fiber. The 7 series uses 500-series OCLV and the 9 series uses 600 series OCLV. My understanding (and Carl can probably speak better to this) is that 600 series is stronger, so less carbon is required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anando pretty much nailed it. 600 is a more advanced layup, so less is required.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl -

What is the largest size tire a 2013 9.8 Speed Concept will accept, using 303 FC CC?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [XXX!!!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to say for sure. Every tire is a little different and each of those will sit on different rims differently. Too many combinations to keep track of. The bike was sold with 700x23, and I know from the early months of this thread that some 25c tires worked and some didn't...but I don't think it was always clear what rim was involved in either case. You'll probably have to experiment a little if you plan to go beyond 23c.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, that answers that question, use 23c's only...

Another question, can you re post the past picture of your speed concept with a disc cover?

Are you still riding that set up?

I purchased a disc cover to use with my 303's, removed the duo trap and gasket, and it still rubs, any suggetions?

I am hoping for a simple logical solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might need to go to a narrow rim out back. I use a Flo 90 on windy days up front (H3 when calm) and an Enve classic 65 with Power Tap and cover on the rear, 22 mm Vittoria Corsa Evo tire. It's nowhere near rubbing.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure what the picture would do for you ...but yes I still run a disk cover on my speed concept and have done so with an old aelous 9.0 and new Aelous 9 & 5. have you tried taping the nondrive side cover to the spokes from the inside to suck it in a little closer? that's a very common suggestion here.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Do you know what the stock seatpost length on a 2013 Speed Concept 2.5 in medium is? And does the stock length vary through the size range?

Thanks a lot,
James
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jstreetley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XS and S get 275mm posts, M thru XL get 335mm

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, lightening fast reply. Thanks a lot!
Quote Reply

Prev Next