Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [keeeeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rick-

I'm going to defer to the wisdom of the web on the chain bit, though what you found does sound familiar. No change on the BB going from Shimano to Shimano at the cranks.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I apologize if this has been answered or I'm in the wrong spot, but there's no easy way to go through 271 pages of forum posts.

I need to order a new set of bolts for my 2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.9...the long bolts that attach the extension tubes to the aerobar.
I currently use the longest ones that came with the bike (or so I thought), but the Service Manual I found online says I could stack the spacers a bit higher.
http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/2011/service_manuals/Trek_2011_Speed_Concept_Service_Manual.pdf

I've always felt a bit cramped and would love to throw in 1 or 2 more spacers (hope it doesn't look ridiculous). Is that possible?
If so, are there SKUs for the bolts or do I need to buy a full replacement kit? Or are they very standard and I should just go to a hardware store?

Thanks for your help!

anual I found online

Thanks,
Brian

2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.9
2010 Trek Madone 5.5
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brian.pautsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answered partially here
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...=bolt%20kit;#4669545

One kit per side or m6 bolts from hardware store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might also consider one of the SC stems with more rise.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Runless!

Thanks,
Brian

2010 Trek Madone 5.5
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll look into this.

Thanks,
Brian

2010 Trek Madone 5.5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Brian-

Runless and GreenPlease are on target. The spacer stack in your picture is the maximum we designed for, and the bolt kit info Runless linked to would simply replace the OE bolts size-for-size...you wouldn't get anything longer than what came with the bike originally. Looks like you're running the 100x45 stem, so if you want to go higher the recommended way would be to go up to the 110/75 stem (PN 420567 for stem & cover kit). That would bring you up ~35mm if you didn't change the spacer stack at all.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again everyone for the detailed explanations.

Thanks,
Brian

2010 Trek Madone 5.5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl. Can you advise what torque the three screws on the handlebar stem should be tightened? I already over tightened them once, but I can't find anywhere what the proper torque should be. Also, should the two side screws be tightened first, or the one on the top? Thank you.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Barry-

The torque spec for those is just 2Nm...they don't really have to do much.

The order doesn't really matter, but in cases where you're pushing against housing under the cap it may be easier to get the forward bolt started a few turns and then press down on the rear of the cover to line up the holes and get the two rear bolts started.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [keeeeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at getting an entry level 7 from 2013. Anyone think a small is large enough for a 5'7 guy with a 30 in inseam?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Sneakyjesus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went medium, but it's slightly larger than I'd want. I'm 5 6" 32" inseam. I wss in between sizes, you probably are also. I have to move my seat forward as well as the bars back. I cannot go too agressive with my position because of the larger size. The small will probably fit with the proper adjustments
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Sneakyjesus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a general rule I follow if you're in between sizes:
Size down for a more aggressive fit but with the right parts you can still create a non aggressive fit.

If you size up take note that you're going to have slightly limited options regarding adjustment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks once again Carl.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iyun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Iyun - how did the suggested fix work? I've just ordered the 9.9 and like you, my wheel choice is Fernweg F&R and the Autobahn also. Really don't like messy cables at the front. Was thinking of "hiding" the junction box in top tube storage box?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread (NEW) [BayAreaUser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious: are you running your stem all the way down on the top cap? Or do you have a spacer underneath there?

I just picked up a used 2011 7.5 L and am curious, as the RXL stem on there had a pretty clear "must have a 5 mm spacer underneath" label. Also swapping the Bontrager bar set-up for something lower profile. Know there's been suggestions for the old Devox bar...any other recommendations?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the process of cabling a 2011 Trek Speed Concept 7. I got the frame used and just realized it doesn't have a rear derailleur cable housing stop. Does anyone have any idea where I can order one? Having a hard time finding anything online, the closest I have come is this: http://www.ebay.com/...-Black-/301030766580 That "looks" like the right part based on pictures I have found, but not sure. Would rather make sure I am getting the right part.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that does appear to be the right one in the eBay listing. otherwise, if you want to be 100% sure, it's PN W295986 from any Trek dealer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl what would you recommend putting my trek sc 2.5 training bike or 9.5 race bike on the turbo ? Weathers getting better so looking at 1 commute and 1 long ride at weekend plus 2 turbo sessions during the week.
Currently have race bike on as getting position sorted.

Any thoughts re sweat v bad weather or road v turbo
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the keys to happy turbo-ing with any SC (or any bike for that matter) are:

-put some sort of sweat guard over the toptube and cockpit area
-make sure you use either the rear skewer provided by the turbo manufacturer, or verify that the one on your bike is compatible with your turbo
-specific to the SC, you may need to space the skewer head(s) out away from the frame to avoid interference between dropouts and turbo clamps
-no standing or sprinting...we talk about that in our bike owners manual towards the bottom of this page

As for the effects of bad weather, after a ride in ugly conditions it's smart to clean your bike including the chain and reapply chain lube .

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl--

Would you be able to answer this for me?

Quote:
Curious: are you running your stem all the way down on the top cap? Or do you have a spacer underneath there?

I just picked up a used 2011 7.5 L and am curious, as the RXL stem on there had a pretty clear "must have a 5 mm spacer underneath" label. Also swapping the Bontrager bar set-up for something lower profile. Know there's been suggestions for the old Devox bar...any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 5mm spacer warning is based on testing which showed us you could end up with a point load on the steerer without it.

the RXL aero bar (31.8mm diameter clamp version of the original 9-series UCI-legal bar, uses same pad spacers and extension hardware) is a nice upgrade, but not really lower profile than the stock 7.0-7.5 bars.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl-

Would you mind confirming a part for me:

I've got a 9.9 on the way, which I am hoping to run with my FSA Gossamer Power2Max. Is FSA 293227 (BB90 bearing kit "B") the correct bottom bracket to order?

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply, Carl. Sounds good.

Yeah, have a little ways to get lower yet. So thinking something like a PRO Missile or a Devox would be best. Based on pricepoint I'm guessing Devox...

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to my FSA crank-BB compatibility cheatsheet, the right BB90 kit for a Gossamer is FSA PN 230-6001, aka Trek PN 407382.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next