Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bcurrie007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you have to update any firmware when you did your di2 install?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi any thoughts on best front bottle for speed concept? I have a profile with straw, is this good for the aero data ? Or better with a standard bottle between bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
standard bottle between bars.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers is this due to the front of the bike ? Works one of these be good http://www.bicyclehero.com/...dba4AdQ#.UxysPn8gGSM stop having to get up and take a drink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So for IM one between bars and where's best for one more ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the whole "get up to take a drink" thing is overrated. there's no reason to get entirely out of your aero position to get a bottle and take a drink unless you're using a behind-saddle system of some sort. for everything else, with a little practice you can stay aero and simply use one arm to get your bottle, tilt your head a little to the side, get your drink, replace bottle. takes what, 10-15sec every 15min or so? in contrast, a straw is out there slowing you down ever so little Every.Single.Second of Every.Minute of Every.Hour you're on the bike. it's going to add up.

if you want to run just one more bottle, an aero bottle on the seattube of an SC is the best place...we set the bottle mounts lower on the seattube so aero bottles would nest down there by the BB better...most applicable to the original SC, but still generally the case on the new bike.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers
Another Q,
I'm about to replace a 100/45 stem with a 100/10. So I'll cut the brake n gear cables and remove. Will I need to shorten outers ? I don't have to remove these do I ?

Any other tips for this procedure ?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
front brake housing would need to be shortened...suggest "sneaking up on it" (the right length) by cutting away a little at a time and dry fitting it on the new stem after each cut...some excess may be able to go back into the bar.

the other three housings probably don't need to be cut...you simply push the excess back down into the frame.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea when Trek is going to release the new behind the seat water bottle carrier???
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [howsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
howsetri wrote:
Any idea when Trek is going to release the new behind the seat water bottle carrier???
x2
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [howsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x10

I don't have a date. I do know it's not dead...just struggling with some development issues. The samples I ride with keep getting better and better...the latest one dramatically so...but even if functionality gets locked down there's still lab (and field) testing that has to be completed before turning it loose to the market.

I suppose I can also say we've continued checking it in the tunnel, verifying performance against representative competitor setups and with Manny in different positions. Still winning.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
You may have already addressed this in this thread but I'm looking to purchase a mounting bracket for the di2 junction box on my 2014 SC. Could you direct me to the part number and how to order it? My LBS hasn't had much luck in their correspondences with their Trek representative but perhaps something is getting lost in translation. Thanks much!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mbreyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no separate bracket for the junction box. Inside the 2014sc stem covers you'll find several thin walled points labelled Di2 holes...those are meant to be opened up for ziptie usage to mount the box.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl:

For 2013 SC 7.5 I see that the Bottom Bracket Standard listed differs from the 9 series and is called "Shimano Press Fit". Is this standard equivalent to BB86 or BB90? I'm trying to figure out what adaptors might be needed to install a Rotor 3D Crankset. Thanks.

Rick
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [keeeeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 2010-2013 7 series bikes are BB86, Shimano Press Fit is their (Shimano's) designation for that standard, and that's the one you'd need to run a Rotor 3D crank. just to be sure: that's 3D, not 3D+ (3D plus)...the latter is not compatible with any SC.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just put in my order for a 7 series project 1. The LBS guy is one of the more knowledgeable guys I've ever met (hence why he won my business). Anyhow, he sold me in the Aura 5 wheels with a disc to follow (likely Mavic Comete), although the LBS sells Zipp he is not a huge fan (for a number of what I think are very good reasons). I asked him this but he misunderstood my question so I'm taking it here:

The R3 (and R4 for race day) tires are clinchers and are what I'll likely be using for the front (which will likely remain an aura 5) is there any issue having a tubular disc on the back? He says you just have to be sure the brakes are adjusted correctly (extra wide) for a disc and you'll be fine. I guess my question really had more to do with ride quality, however. Is this something I'll notice?

This seems like too small a question for it's own thread so I put it here so I hope that's cool. You'll have to forgive me, I'm like Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder; I can ride the heck out of a bike but mechanically there are things I could learn.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just a note on the Comete...I'm not sure it's compatible with the as-sold SC. I know Tim O'Donnell has ridden one on his bike, but our Race Shop is in the business of making things work for our athletes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Are discs themselves out or just that specific one?

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are specific disks which seem to have interference issues, and that's one of them. The PRO disk from Shimano is another that comes to mind. On the other hand, we've had the Zipp Super9 clincher disk and Hed Jet disk in there with no problems. Lightweight has been hit-or-miss. Wheelcovers tend to be specific to the rim they're mounted on as far as compatibility goes. I've run one on our Aeolus 5 and Aeolus 9 without a problem, and if you search the forum I'm sure you'll find others who can attest to their combos working or not.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, much appreciated.

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl - I am about to order a 2014 9.9 SC as my 2011 9.9 SC one was written off in crash. Is the geometry pretty much the same - and anything else I should be aware of? I was super comfortable on the old bike - and want to try and get it as close as possible to it. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [lmbasell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No change to geometry. Just lighter and faster and easier to work on.

For fit purposes, unless you were completely maxed out at the top of the range (80x75 or 110x75 stem plus full pad spacer stack) on your 2011 9.9, the new one can hit every pad position the old one did and more. We traded away a little bit (as in, maybe 5-10mm) of headroom to get that same amount lower on the low end for the slammed crowd.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl - just the 100/45 stem with minimal spaces under the bars. I just think it's a long wait down under for a XL 9.9...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl:

Will a Shimano 6800 Crankset work with the 10speed Ultegra groupset of the 2013 Speed Concept 7.5?

I've read (Internet Searches) it will work perfectly fine as long as I use the 11speed chain. Would I need to purchase a separate BB or is the BB of the 2013 speed concept 7.5 compatible? The goal is to replace the stock crankset with one that has shorter crank arms; I'd like to purchase the Shimano 6800 165mm 52 36 crankset and have the Trek superstore install it during the build (new bike). This seems to be the least expensive alternative to get a 165mm crankset with that gearing.

Thanks.

Rick
Quote Reply

Prev Next