Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rglov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a big big for sure but wobble, wind issues I’ve really not had any. I am sure that most other “super bikes”/bikes with huge down tube all have a similar feel when it comes to cross wind. With the fuel cell in place and deeper race wheels, yes I felt a handling difference. If i had the choice I might go with a felt IA or P5, SC if I had the option. If you look for windtunnel testing the Shiv is consistently slower, probably due to its massive head tube/ bladder system. That said the shiv does offer some amazing adaptations that the other bikes don’t. The fuel cell - its awesome so handy and easy to use (just hard to pack, I use it to hold my flat kit in a race) the bladder is another amazing tool I use all the time in combination with a BTA system. The only bad thing about the bladder system is theres no room to put a box on. I’ve tried placing a box over the bladder opening but then you loose the option of refilling the bladder. I am probably being a nitpick but I would love a box that would mount to the bladder opening. Not having any projects and being on summer break I might work on that problem today. I’ll post pics is I come up with anything of interest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your weight and wheel set, you can feel crosswinds more. I have a shiv with 404/808 combo and weigh 160, I feel it more than on my transition. It's just something you get use to and will happen on any bike with large tubes (felt ia, p5, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Shiv with 404/808 @ 165 lbs. Even with the Fuelcell - I find it to be no less stable than my previous ride, a Transition. Wheels make a bigger difference than a frame in my experience, for instance, i find the zipps are more stable than my training wheels, cosmic carbones.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Iakona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as dprocket with the FSA crank and looking to get a Stages PM. I assume there's no real issue (other than looks) with having the stages crank as an aluminium and the other as the original SL-K carbon crank?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [skwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skwan wrote:
Does anyone know if the Shimano Ultegra BR-6810 brakes will work/fit on the Shiv?

They will not.

Shimano uses different dimensional standards than the brakes on the Shiv..

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 S WORKS Shiv and have had nothing but problems with the Magura brakes. Had to have both front and rear re bleed twice, rear caliber warranty replaced by magura because it wouldn't fully open and return, adjust screw on lever broke where allen wrench inserts and I had to by a whole new lever because they won't sell a 5 dollar bolt to fix it, and no matter what I do my rear zipp firecrest 808 tubular wheel rubs the pads when I put heavy force on the cranks or climb a hill. This is with the calipers opened to the max of the adjustment. The wheel is true and new and has been checked at my LBS. Iam 190 lbs and put out avg power so I know this should not be happening. The whole bottom end of my bike just flexes when I pedal hard and climb and then the pads rub. Iam at a loss for words and stumped having over 12k in a bike with a wheel rub. Anyone else have this issue?
Quote Reply
Re Maguura brakes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all I don't have the Magura brakes nor have I seen them but I will pass on some information I picked up.

I remarked to a bike shop in the Vegas about problems associated with bleeding these and he seemed very knowledgable about them and knew of this.

Somewhere in the system there is either a ferrule, nipple, o ring or something that must seal a part of the system. I don't know what it is but what ever it is, I was told it must not be reused -under any circumstances.

The mechanic was adamant that if you reuse this part, the system would leak.

Hope this in some way helps.

Coxy
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [blakeh44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Magura RT8 brakes on my Shiv. I love them! They tend to be a bit strong and I have to remember not to squeeze them too hard. But they are spot on. Like someone mentioned before, it might be an issue with the o-rings/seals in your braking system.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the difference between a Shiv TT Carbon Aerobar and the Shiv Pro Carbon Aerobar ?
Can i mount the TT Version on a Shiv Comp without any issues ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know is Specialized doing the Kona shipping they have done in the past this year again for Shiv riders? If you used in past was it worth it?
Quote Reply
Tri shoes and rubber bands [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who use rubber bands to keep their shoes steady when coming out of T1, where do you attach the one for the right shoe? The front derailer does not seem to have any good spot. I tried with the little bolt that attaches to the frame but it doesn't seem very stable. Any other good option?

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have pictures of the low-stack aerobar clamps installed?
And also, if you have, a part#?

http://www.specialized.com/...ck-aerobar-clamp-set
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes and rubber bands [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I attach it to the front der and it works fine. I'll try to post a picture later today if I can.

However, this weekend I did a quintathlon: swim, bike, run, bike run. This means that on the second bike portion, I just had my shoes dangling as I broke the bands on the 1st bike mount. After doing it, I've determined that I don't really need rubber bands, and especially don't need one on the drive side. If you use one rubber ban on your non-drive side attached to the rear skewer, and mount on the left side (left foot on left shoe/pedal) just catch the other shoe after a rotation or two. When I've mounted, as soon as I break the bands, one of the shoes goes dangling anyway, so I need to catch it with the other foot. I now feel that having both of them secured with a band doesn't make any difference. However, I do understand that I may be doing it wrong. If one of them is banded, the non-drive side will just dangle but shouldn't drag on the ground as the crank will be in roughly a parallel position to the ground.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes and rubber bands [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainfranz wrote:
For those who use rubber bands to keep their shoes steady when coming out of T1, where do you attach the one for the right shoe? The front derailer does not seem to have any good spot. I tried with the little bolt that attaches to the frame but it doesn't seem very stable. Any other good option?

I use the water bottle cage. I put a rubber band..or link two together if they are not long enough around the entire cage. Works perfect for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes and rubber bands [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
captainfranz wrote:

I use the water bottle cage. I put a rubber band..or link two together if they are not long enough around the entire cage. Works perfect for me.[/quote

Yes....this works if you do not have a Fuel Cell.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes and rubber bands [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the front derailleur without any issue.

Mine is a duraace di2.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picked up new SHIV yesterday from LBS.

Got it home, took it for a quick spin down the road and the saddle tilted just a bit.

I returned home to tighten clamp and found small crack on top tube where seat post meets frame.

Bike was in my possession literally 20 minutes.

My LBS was informed immediately and they currently have the bike and "will be calling Spec today"

The bike I purchased was the last 2014 size LG the shop had. Options?

Im completely confident the Spec will totally stand behind it but how long will it take?

Thx!

Michigan Awesome

Hand2Hand Ministries
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [krozema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone-

I took some pictures of my 2015 Shiv Elite w/ Flo90 front and Flo Disc rear and thought I'd share one. I had the bike professionally fitted, which lowered the stem. The front end is a bit of a mess, but I'm hesitant to tear it all apart and cut the tube, adjust cable length, etc. Maybe I'll be braver when it isn't so new; this is my first tri bike.

-damen
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Damen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

Can someone confirm that the Shiv Elite comes with the Fuelselage bladder?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see you have the spacers above the stem - this is not recommended for a long period of time because you are now clamping on a hollow carbon tube, which can lead to cracks. I had the same issue when deciding whether to cut the tube on my bike. My LBS recommended testing out the position on the trainer with the stem clamp not too tight, but to limit road rides, and then make a decision. If after cutting the tube you can get back to similar stack by flipping the stem and adding risers to the arm pads. That way you can be slammed for sprint/olympic races and gain a little more comfort for HIM/IM races. (Bike looks cooler too!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damen wrote:
The front end is a bit of a mess, but I'm hesitant to tear it all apart and cut the tube, adjust cable length, etc. Maybe I'll be braver when it isn't so new; this is my first tri bike.

COMMIT!!!!

Like Houston commented, with the top cap that far from the stem clamp, it's "less than ideal" at best. Not to mention it just doesn't look as clean.

I had guys warning me about cutting my stem, but I hated the look of the spacers on top, and wanted the least garbage up top as I could get.

I had to special order a minimum height "control tower," and of course, cut my cables, but I'm VERY happy with having my stem "slammed".
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a random thought recently:

Has anybody looked at making a drop-in box that replaces the Fuelselage?

So many of us seem to use the Fuelselage only for races since cleaning camelback style bladders sucks. So during training, I use the blind cap. I'd love to have a little pull-up box that would hold my cell phone, gels, tool kit, spare tubes, whatever... Seems like that's an awfully big volume that could be capitalized upon during training. It'd have to be on tracks or something such that it slid up for access, otherwise stiff enough that you could pull it up, then push it back down.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
confirmed
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics of the bike slammed! ASAP! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I don't know how I didn't post this up on this thread already, but I went back and didn't find it. So this pic doesn't have the minimum height Control Tower in place behind the stem yet, which adds about 1/4" on top of the cable insert frame boss there and evens it up a bit with the top of the stem. I've also flipped the angled insert in the stem and ditched the aerobar spacers to drop the front end about a 1/2", and tipped my seat down a bit to mate it up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next