Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
S-Works Shiv XS Frame Weight [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife has just received a warranty replacement S-Works XS 2014 and it weighs in at 2.250 kg

That's frame and fork.
Rear Hanger installed
BB30 bearings installed
It also had two of the aluminium tower spacers attached
Otherwise it was naked.

This measurement is not as easy as one might think as the bike normally comes out of the box mostly assembled

Thought you would like to know
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a common problem. Take a needle nose vise grip and attach to the inside bottom nut and clamp TIGHT. Then try to unscrew with an allen wrench. The nut & bolt will break in 2 pieces quite easily. Takes about 30 seconds to do..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark, does the SHIV test faster carrying items in the Fuelcell or behind the seat storage?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a couple of friends that tried your set up and didn't like it. Said the bottle was too flat. One friend even hit a bump and lost his bottle.

I use the profile design RMC, with two carbon cages. It doesn't loosen up at all.
Quote Reply
Fuelcell not engaging properly - XS frame size [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had an interesting situation this evening. Was installing the fuelcell onto an XS Frame and had great difficulty locking the thing in. When you buy the thing, it comes with a locking mechanism that you bolt to the bottle cage bosses. For my large frame you needed to include an aluminium spacer however, this is omitted on the XS.

I could not click the fuel cell into the locking tab, and eventually had to force it and I know the wife will be unable to do the same so I will have to enlarge the bolt holes to allow the mechanism to sit slightly higher up the frame

It's only out by, maybe half a millimeter but it's enough. So I was wondering if people have been having this problem with the smaller frames in particular.

If anyone needs it I have photographs

Coxy
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelcell not engaging properly - XS frame size [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coxy_in_nz wrote:
Had an interesting situation this evening. Was installing the fuelcell onto an XS Frame and had great difficulty locking the thing in. When you buy the thing, it comes with a locking mechanism that you bolt to the bottle cage bosses. For my large frame you needed to include an aluminium spacer however, this is omitted on the XS.

I could not click the fuel cell into the locking tab, and eventually had to force it and I know the wife will be unable to do the same so I will have to enlarge the bolt holes to allow the mechanism to sit slightly higher up the frame

It's only out by, maybe half a millimeter but it's enough. So I was wondering if people have been having this problem with the smaller frames in particular.

If anyone needs it I have photographs

Coxy

I moved from a medium to small frame and had trouble figuring out how to the fuelcell to fit. I learned that I had to hold the bracket up snug against the bottom of the mounting holes then tighten down. It fits well then, on an XS, I could see how the holes might have to be elongated slightly if you're not able to move the bracket up high enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
changums wrote:
I am considering upgrading my Shiv Comp Rival to Di2. Is there a good thread/walkthrough on how to do this, part list, etc?

I am not looking for the old ST standby of "learn how to use the search function"

I did this at the beginning of the year on my 2013 Shiv Comp Medium. I installed Ultegra 6770 10 speed parts (mostly). I had the LBS do the install. I did not replace the drive train, so I'm running only new derailleurs and shifters but stuck with the cassette, cranks and chain rings that the bike came with. Specialized sells a internal battery mount adapter that allows you to install the internal battery, which I like a lot. Apparently the Shiv Comp alloy aerobars do not have ports for the Di2 wires for the brake mounted shifters, so those wires were taped to the bottom of the base bar.

The added advantage of the internal battery charger is that it also doubles as a USB interface to your PC. So you can download the Shimano configuration software and change settings on the system / upgrade firmware without buying the dedicated USB interface. If you get the external battery, you either need to buy the extra interface or take it somewhere if you need to upgrade firmware / change settings. I found the combined cost of the internal battery and charger and Specialized seat post adapter to be comparable to the external battery, mount and charger, so I see it as getting the PC interface "for free". I guess the disadvantage of the internal battery is that you need to take the bike to a power receptacle to charge, as opposed to taking the (external) battery out and taking it to a charger. Since my bike never sleeps more than a few feet from a receptacle, it's a non-issue for me.

Below are the parts I ordered. I found the following site extremely useful: http://carltonbale.com/...ng-you-need-to-know/

SW-R671 Aerobar shifters
ST-6871 Reverse Brake lever shifters (if you want to shift from the base bar)
SM-EW90 5 port junction box if you're going with brake lever shifters, or 3 port if not
SM-JC41 internal junction 2
Front derailleur (I got braze on FD-6770)
Rear derailleur (I got RD-6770 - 10 speed)
SM-BTR2 Internal battery
SM-BCR2 Internal battery charger
Specialized Shiv seat post battery mount (~$30)

The following wires:
- Rear Derailleur To B Junction: 750mm
- Front Derailleur To B Junction: 300mm
- Internal Seatpost Battery To B Junction: 650mm
- B Junction To A Junction Downtube Cable: 950mm
I also downloaded a bunch of technical documents from Shimano's site that helped me understand everything.

So far I've been super happy with the change.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by tomspharmacy [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: tomspharmacy: Apr 9, 14 12:32
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tomspharmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No you didn't...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
changums wrote:
No you didn't...

Nope, still a picture idiot.. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
changums wrote:
No you didn't...

funny!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one who thinks the fuelcell is ugly as sin?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Coolmann_dk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coolmann_dk wrote:
joshmackow wrote:
If I could afford this (11000 second hand) I would buy this today. This is what I want my Shiv to look like! Even if the enve wheels aren't as fast as mavic or zipp.

How would zipp or mavic prove that they are faster than ENVE? I seriously doubt that statement is true. 

Only wind tunnel tests at exact same bike and equipment will tell. Just ask Mark Cote, he has a lot of experience with wind tunnel testing the SHIV.

Take a look at this chart (click on picture to get larger image) ENVE is almost faster in any YAW angle....

True, I had no idea what the consensus here was on Enve wheels so I was covering my bases. I love them though!

Dream bike right there
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TexanTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TexanTriathlete wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the fuelcell is ugly as sin?

At our shop we call the fuelcell the Trigina. I think it works really well, and I like it but yeah not the prettiest thing ever made.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ErikSchmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you call the plastic piece bolted to the frame behind the stem where the cables enter the frame, a fairing? I am looking to buy a shorter one and don't want to sound like an idiot (too late?). Secondly, if anyone has any of the shorter ones (or spacers) they are trying to get rid of, PM me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there isn't an official one, how about Conning Tower

My experience with Specialized dealers is that they only supply the bike after the build, not the random leftover bits so why not try to contact them.

I probably have one your more than welcome to, but I am in NZ. Will be over in the States later this year however and finally in Edmonton for the ITU finals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe they are called the plastic tower pieces. I had to special order one through a specialized dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got what you need. Towers n spacers.I have a medium tower and 2 tall towers. The really short one is on my shiv and I'm keeping it.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recommendations to reduce weight of pretty stock shiv expert?

Manager at Inside-Out Sports.
Some items we post could be used items traded in to the store.
Last edited by: ckufen: Apr 13, 14 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ckufen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. If you have the aluminum aerobars....they are heavy and thats where I would start ...as long as youre getting an equal or better fitting set to replace them.
2. Wheels. The stock DT Swiss that came on mine where heavy and slow.....but solid for training.
3. Everything else will make it lighter but give you very very very minor performance enhancement...if any.(R.D., Crankset, F.D., Stem)

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New member here in the UK. My shiv;

-

Upgraded specialized carbon bars and poles, shiv fuel cell (not a fan currently - ejects too easily) DA9000 Chainset with stages power meter, FFWD Disc and F9R front with conti comp tubs. FAST :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [thepeteh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do long distance / minimal supported / no stop events and have been working on aero hydration options for my shiv over the last year. I took some pics tonight of my latest revision integrated with my stealth DI2 setup - Flicker.
Last edited by: dannyh: Apr 16, 14 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful set-up!!!!! How many ounces and what did you make the bladder out of? Would you trust putting drink mixes inside?

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! The bladder is not hard to make and cost almost nothing for the materials. I think i am getting ~ 36 internally + 20 with the torpedo. Not sure about including nutrition in this setup. You could but would spend some time flushing it out regularly - I do solids, chews and the salt sticks and so I have only a water only system...

The DI2 / AB shifters are internally routed through the risers and then inside the basebar with all shifters terminating inside the basebar via the 4 port hubs. I then have a single DI2 wire running through the stem and into the the frame. That combined with the Tririg brake allow me one of the simplest bike breakdown solutions while also freeing up room in the stem for the hydration tubes which route via the unused shift cable port into the bladder to perform the auto refill. To keep the refill it from overflowing the fuelselodge you have to put a valve between the two. Ive tried 3 designs and the simple Camelbak you see in the pics is the best so far.

It took a LOT of work but I really enjoy doing it.

Also the Samsung is the S5 so its waterproof and picking up all my ant+ PM and HR sensors via its built in ant+ radio. :)
Last edited by: dannyh: Apr 17, 14 5:25
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [thepeteh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New member front he UK also here...

I have a Shiv TT frame set that I'm currently attempting to build up with internal Di2. Fully aware of the challenges this involves.

The Shiv TT has a solid BB shell - with no access to inside the frame. This is part of what makes installing Di2 internally a challenge on the Shiv TT.

Does anyone have any guidance on where the best place to drill the frame to allow the junction box and cables to be inserted into the frame is? Can you make a small cut in the BB shell? Or the frame itself? I have a dremel and a steady hand and more than willing to cut... in the right place!

Thanks all,
Colin

@FormerTTchamp on Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next