Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is anyone know if the Virtue Aero Bottle fit in the frame?

Is it the best choice for a seat tube bottle on this new Shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it doesn't fit
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put mine in front of seat post. Have to come out of aero to access for a few seconds but seemed like a better option for me than trying to tape gels everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might be able to attach the bento box with velcro to the top tube. or, use the darkspeedworks case, and use some velcro on the bottom. that case seems the most structurally sound. ask darkspeedworks more about it, im not affiliated with the product, but it seems like a good option.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there still a shortage of SHIV's? I'm trying to guesstimate on when mine might come in and whether I would be able to use it for the AG race in San Diego next month. It would be a PRO model, if that helps any.

Thanks!
Last edited by: realtalk411: Apr 5, 12 21:06
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding my new Shiv for a couple of weeks now and it is great. However the bite valve for the liquid bladder leaves a lot to be desired. I thought it was just me but two of my friends have the same bike and had the same complaint. I swapped the entire tube and valve out with one from a camelback and now I can actually get liquid out. I hate to complain about such a sweet bike but maybe this feedback is helpful for future models?!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Diesel44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to agree with this one - I am off to REI tomorrow to buy a camelbak bite valve, the one that comes with it is somewhat useless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my knowledge, there isn't. But, luckily for shiv riders, that's gonna change in a few weeks.

We will soon be releasing the new Speedpack 483 and it will mount to your top tube behind your shiv's hydration port, cables, whatever. And the 483 won't need to connect to a stem at all. With our new proprietary strap system, this new Speedpack will stay very securely on your top tube even without a stem for support. If you want to see a pic, we have one of our prototype packs pictured (during some on-bike testing) on our facebook page. And if you're interested, we also have a pre-order list going on our website, but you don't need to pre-pay.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the Shiv bit valve takes some practice, you have to get your teeth right on the line and it makes it hard to suck liquid if you're not right on. I think I'll try the camelback valve too.

As for loading the bladder into the bike, I find it's easier if I use a piece of plastic (like a plastic ruler) to guide the bladder down into the frame. Otherwise, it tends to bind up a bit, and if the hose kinks in any way, its nearly impossible to suck liquid. It seems that pulling the bladder out a bit makes for easier filling. Part of the problem is that the liquid needs to displace air in order to drain down into the bladder, so (hypothetically) if there was a straw or some other way for air to get out of the bladder as liquid enters, the whole process should be much faster.

YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
To my knowledge, there isn't. But, luckily for shiv riders, that's gonna change in a few weeks.

We will soon be releasing the new Speedpack 483 and it will mount to your top tube behind your shiv's hydration port, cables, whatever. And the 483 won't need to connect to a stem at all. With our new proprietary strap system, this new Speedpack will stay very securely on your top tube even without a stem for support. If you want to see a pic, we have one of our prototype packs pictured (during some on-bike testing) on our facebook page. And if you're interested, we also have a pre-order list going on our website, but you don't need to pre-pay.

Good to know. I got to your site and pre-order!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane_W wrote:
I'd have to agree with this one - I am off to REI tomorrow to buy a camelbak bite valve, the one that comes with it is somewhat useless.

I have to agree that the existing valve leaves a lot to be desired. It works, just not very well. I purchased a camelback bite valve too. However, I'm not sure how to connect it because the valve is smaller than the tube. What's your plan?

Despite the valve issue and magnets needing to be replaced with rare earth magnets, I LOVE MY BIKE! It's fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diesel44 wrote:
I have been riding my new Shiv for a couple of weeks now and it is great. However the bite valve for the liquid bladder leaves a lot to be desired. I thought it was just me but two of my friends have the same bike and had the same complaint. I swapped the entire tube and valve out with one from a camelback and now I can actually get liquid out. I hate to complain about such a sweet bike but maybe this feedback is helpful for future models?!

Can you buy the tube and bite valve separately? I've seen the bite valve (which I purchased), but not the tube. Maybe I need to look harder.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:
Diesel44 wrote:

Can you buy the tube and bite valve separately? I've seen the bite valve (which I purchased), but not the tube. Maybe I need to look harder.

Thanks
In Reply To:
. I am not much help, I had an extra camelback to scavenge for parts. Maybe just buy a whole new camelback bladder and then use the parts that you need. An added benefit is that the blue tube looks cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you with a size Medium frame, what size is the bladder you use? I got a bladder that fits XS/S frames, just wanted to check before I call the LBS back.

Is there a bladder designed for the Medium sized frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [REDSTORM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are only 2 size bladders, the other fits M and up. I think you got the wrong bladder with your frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I have a medium and you are supposed to get the larger bladder with that frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
REDSTORM wrote:
For those of you with a size Medium frame, what size is the bladder you use? I got a bladder that fits XS/S frames, just wanted to check before I call the LBS back.

Is there a bladder designed for the Medium sized frame?

Size Medium should be shipping with a 23ox (Large) bladder. The XS and Small are shipping with a 21oz (Small) bladder.

Cheers

Chris R.
Specialized Bicycle Components
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, I may just stay w the 21oz bladder, it will probably fit easier, and really, what 2extra oz's of liquid? It's not worth the $20 of gas it'll take me to get to the LBS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed/Cadence sensor placement.

With all of the effort placed on clean lines and no cabling, I am surprised at the lack of effort at integration.
The Duo Trap appears a really neat and simple solution.

One would assume that the vast majority of owners would be using Ant+, Polar or Bluetooth
Would it be too cost prohibitive for an aftermarket company to supply all three solutions?

It just seems a shame that I am going to have to zip tie sensors to the frame
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coxy_in_nz wrote:
Speed/Cadence sensor placement.

With all of the effort placed on clean lines and no cabling, I am surprised at the lack of effort at integration.
The Duo Trap appears a really neat and simple solution.

One would assume that the vast majority of owners would be using Ant+, Polar or Bluetooth
Would it be too cost prohibitive for an aftermarket company to supply all three solutions?

It just seems a shame that I am going to have to zip tie sensors to the frame

But of those three, I will only use one (currently using none) and I don't want to pay for tech that I am not going to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jenkinsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my Shiv for about 1.5 weeks and think I'm in love. I am still working out the kinks with the bite valve (replaced w/ camelbak and shortened the tube but it seems but now the valve won't stay on; may use camelbak tube) and am also having some issues with Rotor Q-Rings and SRAM Red but I'm sure it will get resolved after I see the right mechanic. It's amazing how much faster and more comfortable I am on this bike than I have EVER been before. Best purchase ever.

When I finished my ride tonight, I noticed the shop that built the bike forgot to put on some of the pieces by the stem. I'm not sure what adapters to put on and was hoping to solicit some feedback from those of you that are more experienced....I tried putting on the piece in the 3rd picture but the screw obviously was too long to make it work. Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pictures posted in the editor....anyone know why they won't post?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a quick, "What would you do?" question for the thread. I may purchase a new Shiv. My current ride has a Sram Red FD/RD and Crankset. The cassette is a 1070 or Force Cassette. Would you;

A) purchase the S-works Module and transfer the drivetrain over and sale the frame of the old bike
B) purchase the Shiv Pro Sram Red and Sale the other bike as is

I will admit that my old bike has the 2011 Red FD and is fairly touchy when it comes to move from small to large chainring. I understand the the Sram Red FD on the Shiv Pro Sram Red is the newer black edition, and does not flex as much.

Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Bmonty2504] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the two bosses on the non-drive side chainstay for? DI2 battery? I have the Shiv Comp and won't be going DI2 anytime soon...wish there was a cleaner way to mount sensors for speed/cadence using these bosses...any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tazunemono] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tazunemono wrote:
What are the two bosses on the non-drive side chainstay for? DI2 battery? I have the Shiv Comp and won't be going DI2 anytime soon...wish there was a cleaner way to mount sensors for speed/cadence using these bosses...any thoughts?

I don't know the answer, but I like the way you're thinking - hope some posts a brilliant idea
Quote Reply

Prev Next