Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jesse@bontrager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Joule GPS recently, and I've noticed that NP power calculations differ from how they are performed on the Joule 2.0 - namely in that when you start an interval it immediately starts calculating/displaying NP, rather then waiting 30 seconds to start displaying a value.

I've found that this causes a significant skew in NP values for intervals, which can make NP by interval nearly worthless - which I find very handy for pacing during races.

FWIW - it's very similar to how the Garmin 500 calculates it and I hated it from the first moment I used on.

Please port the NP calculation for intervals from the Joule 2.0 to the Joule GPS/Joule GPS+
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [WaiteForIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I screwed here? Powertap G3.

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the Joule 2.0 compatible with the c1 chainringss? I know the p1s aren't. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [C W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was it reading before. Usually there is a range that is within spec. For big fluctuations I would take it in to be serviced.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started out at 526. Interestingly, my wife got a new Garmin and it immediately jumped up to 550. Now it's around 570. I think powertap says 500-524 is the acceptable range.

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a PowerTap rear wheel from WheelBuilder, which came with a PowerTap GS 11-speed hub. Unfortunately, the hub did not come with any cassette spacer for 10-speed cassette. What spacer thickness do I need in order to use SRAM 10-speed XG-1090 cassette?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a bit of hand holding with calibration worries on my G3.

I've experienced a few 'oddities' in operation which are giving me cause for concern hence the post.

The case history: Bought 2nd hand in August this year, worked perfectly til very recently. Previous owner didn't use it and he bought from the ebay outlet for Wiggle here in the UK, sold as 'refurbished'. Looks as new inside and out.

Auto calibrate is on, but I have almost always run 'calibrate' before riding. In spec 506 or very close reported on my Garmin 800 every time.

The first indication of a problem was a turbo session when I thought 'I'm ill' as I had lost 20-30watts, say 15%, against what effort. And also compared to my power meter on turbo - Although this is very old, clunky and inaccurate. Same again for my next session. Both times calibrated as normal. 3rd session and most of the time it would calibrate way out, 700 odd I think. Although some times it would cal OK @ 506. No power reading though, so I pulled the battery and found it slightly low at 2.9V Very short battery life experienced, but could have been my fault fitting a previously used etc. Won't know until this one dies.

PT appears to be working OK now, but immediate concern is an issue with the live torque reading in the calibration menu. It seems to be capped at a reading of 71NM - I performed a stomp test and it should have been reading 88. The 71 figure was a definite dead stop max!

I'm considering plugging into Power Agent to check/update firmware, but first I'd really like to characterise the PT existing calibration so all my existing data isn't junk, just in case 'something changes'

I had an online 'chat' with Powertap USA and I didn't really learn much. I quoted the spec as shown by my Garmin - detailed below - And this didn't tie up at all with what he quoted - Latest FW 16.058 versus my 5.6? He had no idea on the other parameters I quoted as he 'didn't know how the Garmin software works' Rather confusing, the manufacturer doesn't know what s/w or h/w spec they have provided....?

So, I'm left with these issues:

- Suspect data, probably due to a low battery - BUT no lo batt reported (Is there one on Garmin 800's?) AND calibrated in spec.
- Can't perform a stomp test as strange max limiting problem with torque figure
- Confusing device spec reported by Garmin and a little uneasy about plugging into PC - There's always a risk there!

Words of wisdom and experience gratefully received....

Spec:
Manufacturer 9
Model Number 4096
Serial number 1787297977
HW version 2
SW version 5.6
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [carpetrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 10sp pro+
want to switch to 11sp,
where did you buy yours ?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need help. I have an email in with PowerTap but anxious to ride.

I purchased two wheelsets with PowerTap GS hubs, one for me and one for my wife. Received them today. I installed the wife's first. No problems. Her watch displayed the device immediately. Installed mine, but I could not detect the hub on my watch. Removed, and reinstalled the battery. Nothing. Replaced battery. Nothing. Replaced with a third battery. Nothing. Removed battery and downloaded PowerAgent and connected hub to my computer without the battery. PowerAgent doesn't detect it either, nor does my computer. Since the hub did not come with a cord (which surprised me) I used a mini USB that I have. Does it need something proprietary? I assume not or they would have sent it...

So, having tried all this should I assume that it is defective? I don't see anywhere that I can simply reset the device, so don't know what else to try without tech assistance. Any ideas? Damn frustrating after paying 1.3 grand each.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Spiny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to give the cap from the known working wheel set a try. Just to rule out whether the issue is the cap or the hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Spiny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to person above, have you tried pairing the questionable powertap with your wife's watch?
Last edited by: Nonojohn: Nov 25, 15 20:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Been trying to figure this out, but haven't managed:

Can the Cycleops Joule display torque readings? If so, how?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

Does anyone know how to update the firmeare on Powertap P1? I have the Powertap mobile app, and every thing seems to connect fine. When i press "update firmware" after the app tells me there is a firmware update ready, a message comes up saying " Couldn't find any devices to update", even though it says "connected" right there on the screen.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue and found a solution to it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine on ebay from wheel and sprocket, but i know trisports have them too.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if there has been a recent Powertap firmware update for the G3 hub? I still can't get my hub to get recognized by Poweragent in Windows 10. Thanks for the help!

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Adjusting P1 release tension [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a brand new P1 owner. I need to lower the release tension on the pedals. The tension adjust screw seems to be extremely tight. I can easily bend my long 2.5mm wrench without any movement on the adjustment screw. I don't want to break the new pedals before my first ride.

Any suggestions or experience to share with adjusting the release tension?

Thanks!
Last edited by: kokketiel: Mar 4, 16 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin 510 upgraded to the latest firmware v5 and i have a power tap G3 upgraded to the latest firmware v16.063.

The Garmin is able to connect and display the stats of the PowerTap, but calibration gives "Calibration Failed" with an error code -293.

Note: When first upgraded I was able to correctly calibrate and see power, the next day this happened and I have not been able to get it to calibrate and show power.

Has anyone seen this before?

I assume this is the service requirement that is referred to in the notes, but question is what service is required? Is this something that has to be sent out? I did have the hub serviced a few month ago in terms of bearings and grease.

Is it possible to install an older version of the firmware?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [apjacobstm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap changed calibration parameters in latest firmware version. With this the 'good' calibration range would be 0 + or - 30.reading
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [apjacobstm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apjacobstm wrote:
I have a Garmin 510 upgraded to the latest firmware v5 and i have a power tap G3 upgraded to the latest firmware v16.063.

The Garmin is able to connect and display the stats of the PowerTap, but calibration gives "Calibration Failed" with an error code -293.

Note: When first upgraded I was able to correctly calibrate and see power, the next day this happened and I have not been able to get it to calibrate and show power.

Has anyone seen this before?

I assume this is the service requirement that is referred to in the notes, but question is what service is required? Is this something that has to be sent out? I did have the hub serviced a few month ago in terms of bearings and grease.

Is it possible to install an older version of the firmware?

The latest firmware has apparently messed mine up as well. The new calibration is about -7, but most times it fails and getting anywhere between 5 and 50 dropouts on rides. I have a g3.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Powertap P1s

- Also Garmin 910

Do I have to set crank arm length? (can't seem to figure out how?)

Is there a way to 'Manual zero' calibrate?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
I have Powertap P1s

- Also Garmin 910

Do I have to set crank arm length? (can't seem to figure out how?)

Is there a way to 'Manual zero' calibrate?

Thank you!

Yes you have to set crank arm length.
Yes there is a way to 'Manual zero".
I don't remember how to do that on a 910. Check out dc rainmaker's page. It is a great resource and you'll probably find your answer there.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My six-year old Pro+ just stopped working. I swapped out the batteries, but neither my Garmin 500 or 920xt will receive data any more. I tried repairing, and the head units won't even find the hub. Anything else I should try short of sending it to for repair?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
My six-year old Pro+ just stopped working. I swapped out the batteries, but neither my Garmin 500 or 920xt will receive data any more. I tried repairing, and the head units won't even find the hub. Anything else I should try short of sending it to for repair?

For the Pro+ there is a carriage that the batteries sit in. Sometimes that needs to be replaced. You can try with that first.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [carpetrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matthew,

Sorry to hear about your bearing issue on the G3 hub. This is not something we have seen from the field so I am wondering what could be unique about your situation.

Id like to clarify that you have the freehub spacer on the axle behind the freehub. It is a longish spacer that fits between the freehub bearing and the hub bearing. There is a specific version of this for Campy freehubs that is slightly longer than the Shimano/SRAM version. The Campy version can be identified with a small laser etch line around the spacer.

Before you purchase another freehub please make sure you have the correct spacer and that it is in place.

If you do have the correct spacer and it is in place please just give our customer service dept a call and tell them what your situation is and we will replace your freehub body as a warranty replacement.

Thank you

PowerTap Product Manager
Quote Reply

Prev Next