Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread
Quote | Reply
I don't see a thread.

I will start by saying it is really great to see athletes in town for SBR in Penticton. I will leave it at that! Lots of athletes here with the duathlon starting this weekend and more to roll in with Cross Wednesday the 23rd and LC Sunday the 27th.

some great press already including this from Canada's national paper:
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/penticton-2017-multisport-world-championships-festival/article35999151/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile

start lists for men and women are really solid for the LC World's.

MEN: http://www.triathlon.org/...championships/314175
WOMEN: http://www.triathlon.org/...championships/314176

I hope the athletes who have taken their time and money to join our fair little city enjoy their stay, visit the wineries and vistas that the Okanagan have to offer, and have a great race(s)! Know you are very welcomed here!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys...i would follow up with....

It s time to celebrate athletes all over the world coming to Penticton for the ITU WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!! Starting next week...every athletes in town are welcome to join the Jonnyo Coaching Swim Squad and come experience our amazing community and group of athletes.

You want to swim.... just show up and we will get you going!

August 22-24-25 6am, Okanagan lake at the peach! come join us....most workout will be ''taper'' workout as everyone will be fine tuning for the big day!

GAME ON!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said Rys ! Welcome athletes it is going to be a great week!!!!!!!!!

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the best bar in Penticton? Where should I eat? Who wants Block 15 Brewing Sticky Hands DIPA from OR? It is $14 USD for 4 tall boys retail, but it will blow your mind. I will deliver it for free.
I'm only coming to ITU Worlds to do two things, drink some beer and kick some ass. Okay, actually three things, I want to meet some Canadian womans. If you make sure I am well hydrated I may be able to take it easy on you guys in the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Future Mrs Tyno is over in Canada land.
She'll be cruising round in the Aquathlon next week.
I'll pass on the info about the swims for sure.

Do you locals know if the Park Run will go ahead next Saturday?
She's keen to do that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got here yesterday for my 12 days. smoke came back in. Warm and humid some.

Checked in for sprint DL race on Sat. Things get really started today. Need to get bike checked in and see the course.

tough doing all the activities which means being on ones feet, up late, having to race early Sat. Oh well, will see how it goes.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best beer or best bar?

Cannery Brewing on Ellis. Their Anarchist Amber Ale is great. They have awesome little bar and patio. Walking distance from expo. Local brewery. Race sponsor.

Barking Parrott in Lakeside hotel is sports bar. Great patio on lake.

Food? A must is Taco Del Norte. Yellow little hub just a block east from Starbucks. Grab a lunch there and enjoy a beer! The Bench up Vancouver Hill from expo has amazing breakfast and lunch. And of if u can get a seat Salty's on Lakeshore is a hot spot with really good pub grub. More finer dining is Hooded Merganser in the Lakeside or The Cellar on Main street about a 8-10min walk from expo straight along Main. As the name suggests great wines.

My fave winery foods is Lake Breeze on Naramata road for lunch and if u have car go south to OK Falls for Liquidity or further to Tinhorn Creek, Hester Creek, or Burrowing Owl. All have AMAZING FOOD

Edit add: upper bench road has Misconduct winery with The Kitchen, an awesome tapas style eatery. Not cheap. Around corner is 7 township who are event sponsor. Visit & support sponsors!

@rhyspencer
Last edited by: rhys: Aug 18, 17 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [tynomitey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a fun run for kids for sure.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
What's the best bar in Penticton? Where should I eat? Who wants Block 15 Brewing Sticky Hands DIPA from OR? It is $14 USD for 4 tall boys retail, but it will blow your mind. I will deliver it for free.
I'm only coming to ITU Worlds to do two things, drink some beer and kick some ass. Okay, actually three things, I want to meet some Canadian womans. If you make sure I am well hydrated I may be able to take it easy on you guys in the race.

i'll take you up on one of the DIPA's, love me some good beer!! i'll be there Wednesday
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Warm and humid some.

Humid???????? Dave it must never get humid in Auburn if you think a dew point in the 40s to low 50s is humid. My wife and I rode this morning in upstate NY with an air temperature of 72*F but a dew point of 72 as well. Our glasses were fogging up in every valley entering the fog laying there. Our bikes and cloths were totally soaked at the end of the medium paced ride. Now that's humid.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Warm and humid some.

Humid???????? Dave it must never get humid in Auburn if you think a dew point in the 40s to low 50s is humid. My wife and I rode this morning in upstate NY with an air temperature of 72*F but a dew point of 72 as well. Our glasses were fogging up in every valley entering the fog laying there. Our bikes and cloths were totally soaked at the end of the medium paced ride. Now that's humid.

Hugh

In Calif we very seldom get humidity. It is usually a dry heat. We usually have humidity in the 20's or even teens are some times. So I melt with any real humidity. :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, ha! It's going to feel like dry toast when I get there. It was down to a cool 80 degrees and about 90% humidity when I got up to swim at 5am this morning. Dave had no idea what it is like to train in Satan's anteroom.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
rhys...i would follow up with....

It s time to celebrate athletes all over the world coming to Penticton for the ITU WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!! Starting next week...every athletes in town are welcome to join the Jonnyo Coaching Swim Squad and come experience our amazing community and group of athletes.

You want to swim.... just show up and we will get you going!

August 22-24-25 6am, Okanagan lake at the peach! come join us....most workout will be ''taper'' workout as everyone will be fine tuning for the big day!

GAME ON!

I am putting August 25th on my calendar. But damn, 6am?! Is that start swimming at 6am or start putting on the wetsuit at 6am? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, 30% humidity... are you kidding me?

We call 60% humidity a cold front in South Florida :)

h2ofun wrote:
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Warm and humid some.

Hugh

In Calif we very seldom get humidity. It is usually a dry heat. We usually have humidity in the 20's or even teens are some times. So I melt with any real humidity. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
yeah, 30% humidity... are you kidding me?

We call 60% humidity a cold front in South Florida :)

i just rolled my eyes really hard when i saw him say that. even the high of 83° on Sunday sounds pleasant to us!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best wishes to everyone in Pentiction. I hope that it goes well. Safe, fun and fast racing to all participants. Enjoy Penticton.

For many, many years, I spent more time in the third week in August in Penticton than I had anywhere else in the world!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Best beer or best bar?

Cannery Brewing on Ellis. Their Anarchist Amber Ale is great. They have awesome little bar and patio. Walking distance from expo. Local brewery. Race sponsor.

Barking Parrott in Lakeside hotel is sports bar. Great patio on lake.

Food? A must is Taco Del Norte. Yellow little hub just a block east from Starbucks. Grab a lunch there and enjoy a beer! The Bench up Vancouver Hill from expo has amazing breakfast and lunch. And of if u can get a seat Salty's on Lakeshore is a hot spot with really good pub grub. More finer dining is Hooded Merganser in the Lakeside or The Cellar on Main street about a 8-10min walk from expo straight along Main. As the name suggests great wines.

My fave winery foods is Lake Breeze on Naramata road for lunch and if u have car go south to OK Falls for Liquidity or further to Tinhorn Creek, Hester Creek, or Burrowing Owl. All have AMAZING FOOD

Edit add: upper bench road has Misconduct winery with The Kitchen, an awesome tapas style eatery. Not cheap. Around corner is 7 township who are event sponsor. Visit & support sponsors!

Okay, don't post much here but wanted to add to this: The Nacho's at Cannery Brewing...seriously fucking good.

Penticton actually has several little micro-breweries for a town that size - check out the Penticton Ale Trail if you're into craft beer.

Also x2 on The Bench for lunch

I'm racing Long Course in M40-44...lets do this.
Last edited by: feldon: Aug 18, 17 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Best wishes to everyone in Pentiction. I hope that it goes well. Safe, fun and fast racing to all participants. Enjoy Penticton.

For many, many years, I spent more time in the third week in August in Penticton than I had anywhere else in the world!

Just amazing beauty here.

Just pre drove the Draft legal Sprint bike course. Very technical, and with lots of folks, very dangerous.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Just pre drove the Draft legal Sprint bike course. Very technical, and with lots of folks, very dangerous.

I road the course five times yesterday. It's technical, especially on the descent, but not very dangerous, Dave. Just keep your wits about you and communicate if you're in a group. The only place of concern is the left hand turn from Upper Bench onto Corbishley. The course has just began its descent and you can pick up a speed into the turn. The turn is sharp and narrow. Otherwise, the rest of the course is fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dangerous because it's busier than riding his trainer with power cranks. ;-)

Enjoy your race....
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Fleck wrote:

I road the course five times yesterday. It's technical, especially on the descent, but not very dangerous, Dave. Just keep your wits about you and communicate if you're in a group. The only place of concern is the left hand turn from Upper Bench onto Corbishley. The course has just began its descent and you can pick up a speed into the turn. The turn is sharp and narrow. Otherwise, the rest of the course is fine.

I concern is not about me. It is there were be lots of folks all out there at the same time with ability levels all over the map. I just plan to race in a defensive mentality in case something happens in front of me. And yes, the one 90 turn no matter your skill level has to be taken slow. Just imagine if 40 folks are trying to take it at the same time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 hours to the first wave start. Here we go.

https://www.sportstats.ca/display-results.xhtml?raceid=45803

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I concern is not about me. It is there were be lots of folks all out there at the same time with ability levels all over the map. I just plan to race in a defensive mentality in case something happens in front of me. And yes, the one 90 turn no matter your skill level has to be taken slow. Just imagine if 40 folks are trying to take it at the same time.

That's why some of us train the bike so we are not in the pack but in front of the pack. Can't run to victory if you crash on the bike. Good luck, stay safe and enjoy the events.
Last edited by: B.McMaster: Aug 19, 17 5:10
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU WC Multisport festival thread [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

That's why some of us train the bike so we are not in the pack but in front of the pack. Can't run to victory if you crash on the bike. Good luck, stay safe and enjoy the events.

In a multi loop bike course, with everyone on the course at probably the same time, there is no front of the pack.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time I've watched a pro duathlon. Opening 10 k under 31 minutes and they looked so effortless doing it. Tough race and a good battle. Can't wait to see more action.
Marty
Quote Reply

Prev Next