Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
October Fish Report
Quote | Reply
Welcome to October, my fellow fishies.

just 2000 yards this AM. I just can't put together little creative workouts while I'm dealing with this sciatica issue. So just trying to hold fitness as best I can.

5x[150s/50k]
5x[150p/50k]

2000 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just set my target times for the 2014/15 season. I'm going to need lots of pool time over the next few months... Gonna try to chop 20 seconds off my 400 free by May. I think its doable, but will be really tough...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a frequent fish poster but I set a PB for 100 SCY this morning hitting 1:26 twice.

2200 SCY
500 w/u
4 x 50 ankle band
4 x 25 ankle band alt-breath side/25
200 buoy and band
5 x 100 (last two sets were PB)
500 w/d
200 further w/d mixing back/breast

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I set a PB for 100 SCY this morning hitting 1:26 twice.

Nicely done!

Minor unsolicited critique - too much warmdown :) Extend that 5x100 to 10x100 - descend 1-5 or something along those lines.... Unless you have a particular reason for a long warmdown, you shouldn't need more than a 200.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi run, 3400 yd swim

100, 50 kick, 200, 50 kick, 300, 50 kick w/u
4 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
6 x [200 fast + 100 kick] 2:35, 2:33, 2:32, 2:31, 2:34, 2:34
400 c/d alt fr/bk

4.44 miles behind on the FLOG

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be an ibuprofen addict. I took 800mg this AM and by lunch, my pain had subsided considerably, to the point I could nearly walk normal. I still can't get out of a chair too well. So, swam in the sloshbucket for another 1500.

afternoon sloshbucket
500s
5x100@1:30
5x100 various kicks

1500 sc yardages

Oh, and TC, how far is the Willamette River from you? I bet it's very warm now - some OW swimming there, perhaps?

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always take advise. I typically do 10 x 100, just didn't have the mojo for it this morning. I took all of last week off from everything following my final race so I'm just getting back into the mix this week, but I'll heed your advise as I build my daily distances back up.

I don't know how realistic dropping 6 seconds is, but I'm thinking of setting a winter goal of hitting 1:20. I won't see open water again here until May so I've got time!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a fish here by any stretch, but am doing a rare chime-in for myself because I've been doing about 2 months of a 'swim/run block' for myself. Although swim is loosely used - others who have posted here know I'm a Vasa erg user, so I swim in the pool less than 90 minutes per week, and closer to 60 mins per week on average, even now.

My swim workouts both on the Vasa and in the pool look pretty caveman simple, but I'm sticking with it because it's actually working for me. I'm a terrible natural swimmer (it took me 2 years of serious work to even break 1:55/100yds for 1000, no joke) so it's been a breakthru for me to improve to where I'm now at (and hopefully will continue!)

Today was a typical 'swim focus' day for me where I do go to the pool:

AM: 2500m easy on the Vasa, done in 200s-400s. I barely even break a sweat on these, because it's so early in the morning. I watch Netflix while doing this - it's actually enjoyable.

Noon: 2000 in the pool, 10 x 200, 1:27/100yds pace, leaving on the 3:15-3:20, and with an easy 100 at recovery pace thrown in after #5. Compare this to me pre-Vasa in December - I could barely hit 1:27/100yd for a single max 100! No drills, no warmup, no cooldown. Just near-steady swimming at a pretty good but sustainable effort.

PM: 2000m (planned) easy on the Vasa, with some random hard 50s, and if I'm feeling spunky, a few max 25s-50s to keep the max power up. I watch HBOGo while doing this so it's not boring.

On my non-pool days, I'll do 3000ish on the Vasa, with at least half of those at high quality, effort similar to pool 100s or 200s, in intervals.

If anything, the volume makes all the difference for me. Even though I don't go to the pool much, the sessions are SO much better because my arm power and endurance feels like double what it was before the Vasa-added volume.

As happy though as I've been about my swim progress as of late, I've been annoyed at my lack of run progress - I think all that swim volume is beating down my run times! Either that, or I'm getting older/slower as I approach middle age...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Oh, and TC, how far is the Willamette River from you? I bet it's very warm now - some OW swimming there, perhaps?

Less than a mile, but it's unsafe for swimming right now due to algae blooms :-(

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna try to do a really solid base this autumn/winter. Luckily Im starting to build at a personal best level - almost no fitness lost during off season as indicated by todays workout:

1000 skips
5x300@4:45 sendoff - all between 4:14 and 4:18. Holy moly, expected something like 4:35.
5x100 IM descend @1:50. Last one on 1:26 - also very solid!!
5x200 long underwaters on no sendoff, just discussing with my GF why we are so awful at this and why it is so hard. Came in on 3:02-3:16.

How the fk does someone actually become good at underwaters?? Pls send Lochte need help cnt swim.

Anywho 4k scm in something like 1:10-1:15. All good.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Last edited by: mortysct: Oct 1, 14 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really want to make some gains on my swim so I'm going to hop on this thread for the first time ever. I was pretty tired after a big masters swim yesterday so today was pretty easy - but I'm trying to get in the water mon-fri.

2400 SCY
5 x 200 descend: 3:20, 3:15, 3:08, 3:02, 2:55 (all with 20 seconds rest)
5 x 200 pull w/ buoy descend: 3:00, 2:56, 2:54, 2:50, 2:48 (all with 20 seconds rest)
200 pull w/ buoy only easy
200 kick c/d

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
Gonna try to do a really solid base this autumn/winter. Luckily Im starting to build at a personal best level - almost no fitness lost during off season as indicated by todays workout:

1000 skips
5x300@4:45 sendoff - all between 4:14 and 4:18. Holy moly, expected something like 4:35.
5x100 IM descend @1:50. Last one on 1:26 - also very solid!!
5x200 long underwaters on no sendoff, just discussing with my GF why we are so awful at this and why it is so hard. Came in on 3:02-3:16.

How the fk does someone actually become good at underwaters?? Pls send Lochte need help cnt swim.

Anywho 4k scm in something like 1:10-1:15. All good.

Lots and lots of dolphin kick. It helps to be a good 200 butterflyer, it's the same motion minus the arms.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I don't have lochte's number, but wha about Gary hall?

http://swimswam.com/...que-number-of-kicks/

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000m tonight, but felt like crap. Probably because breakfast consisted of a Tim hortons coffee with 1 cream, 1 sugar, mid morning snack was coffee, lunch was coffee from the lunch room., afternoon snack was, you guessed it, coffee, and I had a tiny granola bar that I found in the car on the drive home. Scarfed down a PB sandwich before practice.

Main set was 5x100 on 1:45
8x50 (25 IM, 25fr) @60
4x100
6x50 (25 non free, 25 free)
3x100
4x50 free descend

Wanted to hold sub 1:10's for the 100's. couldn't quite manage that. Held between 1:13 and 1:08

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am coming back from a bought of lethargy... Good news we had an 'aerobic 1,000m test set' in the pool today. I managed to do it in 13:07 which is about a 1:18.7 pace/100... (Which I was happy with).

I am trying to work on my chronic crossing over of the hands (across my centerline). I've got a new idea which I am trying, following this video (my wife is learning to swim, to join me at our local tri next summer... so she's the one reading up on technique) the idea is to keep the elbows really high (close to the surface of the water, seen at 2:22/4.02). Maybe not a new idea to all of you... but it is to me. :-) One of these days i'll find speed.

Quote | Reply
We're going to be doing our 1000m challenge sometime soon, not sure exactly when yet though. A little worried, I haven't swum that far, continuously, in years....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you forgot the link to the video?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2200scy for me tonight as a variety of threshold work with the classic 4x50 sprint with huge rest after each to wrap up the practice.

Can't remember the whole workout as it was very random and I just did whatever the coach wrote next.

However, the 4x50 was good for me, swam faster than I ever have:

Swimming again early (4:55AM) tomorrow!! Woohoo!!!!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morning practice today:
300swim
300pull
300kick/drill
4x(125 long and smooth, 75 build, 25 all out , 25ez)
100ez back
4x(100,200,300,200,100) mix of breath counts and intensities, back/free
...3rd time missed the first 100/200
100ez

5400scy

Tired

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I think you forgot the link to the video?
Thanks... it is here and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpF_mmg44

Quote | Reply
no enthusiasm this morning:
1000s
5x100 as brk/bk/br/fr/br
500s

2100 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4x (300 on 4:15, 200 on 2:50, 100 on 1:25)
Desc average speed rounds 1-3 and cruise 4th set
100 cool down

2500scy

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
no enthusiasm this morning

SECONDED

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

no enthusiasm this morning
SECONDED

I was a little tired this morning three.

8 mi run, 2000 yd swim

100, 50 kick, 200, 50 kick, 300, 50 kick
4 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:25
6 x 50 alt kick, swim

behind by 4.31 miles on the FLOG

Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 2, 14 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Report [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got some enthusiasm back and hit the sloshbucket (94° outside) for another 2100

afternoon sloshbucket
1000s
5x100 various kicks
5x100@1:30 1:13/:12/:12/:10/:12 sloshbucket/open turns - pretty happy with these!
100 kick cool

2100 sc yardages

Quote Reply

Prev Next