Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno
Quote | Reply
We got a nice little match up coming up and I believe it was 2015 Oceanside meeting where Frodeno was a little *annoyed* by Sanders based on some interviews I heard. Looks like Sanders gets his rematch to finally take down Frodo. Sanders is 2-0 this year. Should be a great fight with lots of other good contenders as well.

http://eu.ironman.com/...o%20start%20list.pdf

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colonel Sanders takes this one. Jan's been busy cashing checks in the early new year. Reminds me of Clubber Lang vs Rocky the first go around...
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of the Lionel gold card can club, but I don't see how Lionel gets close. He looses 3 minutes on Frodo during the swim and during the duathlon inside the triathlon Frodo matches Lionel. Maybe Lionel bikes a bit faster, but Frodo should be able to put some heat on the run....if nothing else if things boil down to a sprint finish, I can't see Lionel putting this type of heat on Frodo:

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 14, 17 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be awesome. Glad it's the day before Galvatraz so I can follow along.

Does anyone know if Frodo is doing Lanzarote again? He was probably hampered by his calf injury last year, but would be an awesome race with Jesse and possibly Lange who just posted up that he's gotten to Lanzarote (not sure if that means he's racing it or just training there though).
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could see Frodo and Sanders coming off the bike together .... and maybe the improvements seen in that Sanders 10 x 200m test swim workout kick in

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I could see Frodo and Sanders coming off the bike together .... and maybe the improvements seen in that Sanders 10 x 200m test swim workout kick in

I can see Lionel closing the T1 gap by T2. But once they are running, unless Lionel can beat down Frodo with a long duration high pace, I don't see how Lionel can have a faster closing 200-400m. But I've actually never seen Lionel sprint. I am just assuming he can't break Frodo on short surges or in a sprint finish. Would love to see it happen, but not sure it can be done.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodo nipped Lionel by 2:11 in 2015 but we don't know how much faster Jon might have run if really pushed. That said, Frodo did run a 1:10:48 so I'm thinking he was close to maxed out. Obviously the race has the potential to be a real barn burner.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Mar 14, 17 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Sanders having run 1:08 (Raleigh, I believe) and having never been in a position where there are pace changes (has he?), this could be interesting...

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas - This is the type of stuff that I love. I love seeing rivalries form. I think it's great for the sport and it brings out the best in all parties. Thanks for sharing. I'll be following.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
With Sanders having run 1:08 (Raleigh, I believe) and having never been in a position where there are pace changes (has he?), this could be interesting...

Sanders has been in the position of pace changes...but in the swim. The ex ITU guys they know how to race with constant yoyo pace changes. I also think there is a bit of minor bike handling in Oceanside to which I give the nod to Frodo. I want Sanders to give Frodo a run for his money, but unless Frodo shows up totally out of shape, I have to give Frodo the advantage! Also on the run at Oceanside there are a few short steep up and downhills. Again, this plays into Frodo's proven ability to handle yoyo pacing. If I recall correctly the final 2K to the finish line is a full out heads down drag race though. I'd love to see a sprint finish.

By the way, Lionel has the "drafting" advantage on Frodo during the run due to the height thing. If I was Lionel, I'd just shameless run on Frodo's heels for 19K and then start a 2K long surge to see if I could break Frodo with pure top line engine ability. This is actually where Javier failed in Beijing. He should have just kept the pace crazy high all the way and shed Whitfield early. He gave Simon too many chances to get back in the game...same with Frodo. I think at 70.3 World's in Tremblant, Javier just put the long hammer down and ground away at Frodo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I would love to see it happen, but I don't think Lionel will ever catch Frodo.

Frodo & Potts will be motivated to blitz the swim with Lionel in the field. So even though Lionel might swim faster than he has in the past he probably won't be any closer to the lead swimmers. Plenty of strong bikers will probably keep that group away just like at worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My heart is whith Lionel (big fanboi), but my head is with Frodo. Nevertheless, it will be awesome to watch, and by watch I actually mean watch; I'm gonna be there all day rooting for friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Live will have their 'Live Blog' or continuous video coverage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit off topic but I was surprised and pleased to see Rachel Joyce on the start list along with a good strong women's field. That should prove to be a great race as well.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdgreene wrote:
Colonel Sanders takes this one. Jan's been busy cashing checks in the early new year. Reminds me of Clubber Lang vs Rocky the first go around...
Not a chance. After the swim it will be over for The Colonel, for 1st that is.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why didn't they know before hand that the white Lycra would go see through once wet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanders comes out of T2 with a 2min lead. Loses 1min to Frodo and races kona this year:)
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guscrown wrote:
My heart is whith Lionel (big fanboi), but my head is with Frodo. Nevertheless, it will be awesome to watch, and by watch I actually mean watch; I'm gonna be there all day rooting for friends.

This.

Love the guy and am a huge Sanders fan, but Frodo just seems unstoppable. No way he shows up against Sanders with anything less then 100% to give.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious, are there any rules pros have to follow when it comes to being on a start list vs. actually racing? I've witnessed people pulling out the morning of the race due to injuries, I'm sure personal circumstances can arise, unforeseen events. But other than that, is there some kind of a rule against pro's registering and not showing up?
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Curious, are there any rules pros have to follow when it comes to being on a start list vs. actually racing? I've witnessed people pulling out the morning of the race due to injuries, I'm sure personal circumstances can arise, unforeseen events. But other than that, is there some kind of a rule against pro's registering and not showing up?

Under the current system we aren't really penalized for withdrawing. Now being a World Champion he might have some sort of appearance contract for showing up in addition to the normal rules but I wouldn't be aware of it. I don't see Frodeno or Sanders putting themselves on the list without the intention of racing. Nor do I see either one bowing out because they are afraid to lose. Frankly, I am as excited as anyone to see this one go down. Sanders is one of those guys that really fixates on past mistakes, and his tactical errors with Potts + another shot at Frodeno and I think he is super excited to showcase what he has.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was it that annoyed frodo.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to go back and find the interview, but It seemed like he was annoyed that sanders came out of nowhere and he (frodeno) had been around forever. Just how I read into. It was on the podcast that shall not be named.

Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Rematch - The War On The California Shore - Sanders Vs Frodeno [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bruno82 wrote:
Sanders comes out of T2 with a 2min lead. Loses 1min to Frodo and races kona this year:)

I'm thinking along these lines as well. If I recall, in 2015 they came out of T2 together, ran side by side for a few miles, and then Sanders got dropped. There was post-race discussion of Sanders burying himself on the first 25 miles of the bike to catch folks, and then blowing past them on the climbs but being recaught on the mildly technical descents.

Considering Sanders is now a faster swimmer, better bike handler, and has more patience than in 2015, he could very easily come out of t2 with a decent lead. It should be fun to see if he can hang on to during the run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next