Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oceanside 2017 changes
Quote | Reply
AG is out, and since I'm the type of personality that actually reads these things, I noticed:

-"New in 2017, athletes will not be
permitted to have any other stickers on their bikes other than
the bike frame sticker issued at Athlete Check-In. Any previous
event stickers on the bike must be removed."

This is in bold maybe to call attention to a (potentially) silly rule or maybe because it's just new. Had a friend dinged at SB Tri last year for having an old race sticker on his top tube (!), not visible from the side. Official dinged him in transition and found out about the penalty after the race. It was reversed. Still, don't want to have to deal with crap like that post race. I have stickers on my stem, I just put the new ones over the old, technically they need to be removed.

-Swim start is now rolling per expected time and not AG. This is great assuming everyone doesn't just ignore it and get in the under :30 wave, in which case wait will be as long as ever.....

There may be others those were just the two that caught my eye
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 22, 17 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 2017 changes [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I'll have to check out the AG when I get home.

The only sticker I have on my bike is my name so I'm probably Ok there.

Hopefully people follow the rule on the swim times and things wont be too congested.
Last edited by: j.shanney: Feb 22, 17 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this was a rule last year and there were some issues with different races enforcing it. Might be a USAT rule. There was some discussion on here about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 2017 changes [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
I think this was a rule last year and there were some issues with different races enforcing it. Might be a USAT rule. There was some discussion on here about it.

I posted about it when a friend got dinged for it at Santa Barbara tri. Accdg to the AG this rule (assuming you mean the sticker rule) says it's new for 2017. Might be an older rule that they are just now getting around to enforcing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
AG is out, and since I'm the type of personality that actually reads these things, I noticed:

-"New in 2017, athletes will not be
permitted to have any other stickers on their bikes other than
the bike frame sticker issued at Athlete Check-In. Any previous
event stickers on the bike must be removed."

This is in bold maybe to call attention to a (potentially) silly rule or maybe because it's just new. Had a friend dinged at SB Tri last year for having an old race sticker on his top tube (!), not visible from the side. Official dinged him in transition and found out about the penalty after the race. It was reversed. Still, don't want to have to deal with crap like that post race. I have stickers on my stem, I just put the new ones over the old, technically they need to be removed.

-Swim start is now rolling per expected time and not AG. This is great assuming everyone doesn't just ignore it and get in the under :30 wave, in which case wait will be as long as ever.....

There may be others those were just the two that caught my eye

Saw someone down here rolling around with the Kona placard on their bike still. Not the sticker.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no rule in the IRONMAN Competition Rules addressing this specific issue. This is a policy with identification in mind (for safety reasons and rule violation ID).

Body marking can fade or be covered by clothing. Bib numbers are (usually) not required for the bike segment. Bikes with multiple race numbers attached make it hard to know which number is the current and correct number, should there be an emergency, rule violation issued, finisher pix, for example.

So it's a simple ask of athletes to help us ID them. There are no consequences as long as athletes comply with the request of race officials or transition area volunteers.

I suppose there may be a specific rule in the future, if it becomes more of an issue. But for now, we're just asking people to help us out.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 2017 changes [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get frame numbers on the side (although Camp P requires the number on the back as well) but just tell your folks to enforce it sensibly. I.e. stem stickers that are not visible from the side shouldn't incur a violation. This is what my buddy got at SB tri, while his bike was in transition. That's really what I meant by the potentially silly comment. As written the "rule" says no stickers from any prior race anywhere on the bike No big deal to take off the stem stickers (although I like seeing them while riding), but that shouldn't be necessary, I don't think any of your marshalls are identifying any racer by stickers on the stem

I see folks with frame numbers from ancient races all the time and see how it could be an issue for race marshalls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the race stickers that go on the stem have the race logo on it. At last every WTC race I've ever done is that way.

Your reasoning makes no sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - frame numbers are the issue, not the stickers that go on the stem. That would be silly.

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 2017 changes [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race numbers that stick on or are attached to the frame. They're potentially confusing.

Make sense?

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But will there be violations for having old stem stickers on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire field is in one rolling start? Or is there a rolling start for men and then a superset one for women or just one rolling start like they do at IM events?
Has anyone ever heard of this at a 70.3?
Dang that seems like a lot of people coming out of the water in a 5' window!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 2017 changes [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really liked the few times I've done a rolling start, IMAZ and IM Florida, but in a 70.3, I think I would like to be with my age group and have a general idea how I am placed during the race.
Not a big deal, but.....................

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
The entire field is in one rolling start? Or is there a rolling start for men and then a superset one for women or just one rolling start like they do at IM events?

On the athlete guide under race day window page it says rolling start is 630-730am self seeding. This is great for those who dont like being run over by the sub 30min swimmers.

Los Cabos 70.3 had a rolling start when I did it, worked out great. We self seeded in corrals based on time.

Also new is the swim course starts from the dock not while sitting in the water. No time to get acclimated to the cold water.
Last edited by: CP78: Feb 23, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 2017 changes [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Blainyboy8 wrote:

On the athlete guide under race day window page it says rolling start is 630-730am self seeding. This is great for those who dont like being run over by the sub 30min swimmers.

Los Cabos 70.3 had a rolling start when I did it, worked out great. We self seeded in corrals based on time.

Also new is the swim course starts from the dock not while sitting in the water. No time to get acclimated to the cold water.

Is that just from the map (looks like it starts on land) or is there a discussion of that, looked but didn't see

Also new though is a warm up swim to the right of the start. Not sure how that's gonna work with 2k but nice to see that attempted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just from the map, but also says:
The swim starts and finishes at the boat ramp in the southwest quadrant of Oceanside Harbor and goes in a counter-clockwise direction.
Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz4ZWr4uCtO

With a rolling start they would need a timing mat on the dock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy I understand this "policy" but it doesn't come across as a simple "ask". Either this is a penalty or this is not a penalty, no? Permitted to me means not optional or we are not asking, we are telling!

New in 2017, athletes will not be permitted to have any other stickers on their bikes other than the bike frame sticker issued at Athlete Check-In. Any previous event stickers on the bike must be removed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
The swim starts and finishes at the boat ramp in the southwest quadrant of Oceanside Harbor and goes in a counter-clockwise direction.

Duh. of course.

Hopefully there'll be enough matting on the concrete ramp, that's painful.

I wonder how it's going to be set up, and whether it's really any different than a TT start?

I've done New Orleans 70.3, which was organized by AG but a rolling start of 3-4 jumping off a small dock, Chattanooga 70.3 which was a self seeded TT start but really the same, jumping off a small dock a few at a time (bit of a free for all that one), and IM Coz which was rolling by self seeded time and the same. I assume this would really have to be like those starts as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Duh. of course.

Hopefully there'll be enough matting on the concrete ramp, that's painful.

I wonder how it's going to be set up, and whether it's really any different than a TT start?

I've done New Orleans 70.3, which was organized by AG but a rolling start of 3-4 jumping off a small dock, Chattanooga 70.3 which was a self seeded TT start but really the same, jumping off a small dock a few at a time (bit of a free for all that one), and IM Coz which was rolling by self seeded time and the same. I assume this would really have to be like those starts as well

Probably similar to Cozumel, since the dock space is about the same.

The worst of self seeding is people who think they're 15 minutes faster than they are. Too bad there cant be a test or past race results like some marathon corrals do, maybe for any swims under 35min? LA marathon has you email past race results to be placed in a corral, if not sent you are placed in the open corral. Seems simple enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 2017 changes [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Jimmy I understand this "policy" but it doesn't come across as a simple "ask". Either this is a penalty or this is not a penalty, no? Permitted to me means not optional or we are not asking, we are telling!"

Apologies for the confusion on this. I'll try to be more clear:
  • This is a policy and not a rule, and is not listed in the rule section of the Athlete Guide nor is it present in the IRONMAN Competition Rules.
  • The intent of the policy is to avoid confusion that could exist as a result of having bike frame numbers from multiple events, on your bike.
  • The policy is our first attempt to nip this confusing trend (presence of bike frame numbers from multiple events) in the bud.
  • Athletes that attempt to check in with bike frame numbers from multiple events stuck on their bike, will be asked to remove all of the bike frame numbers except the current event's race number.
  • We do not intend to penalize athletes for having other bike stickers on their bike. The policy is our attempt at being pro active. However, athletes who refuse to comply if given a directive by race personnel could be penalized for not following directions (see the specific rule relating to this).
  • If, despite our best efforts, we can't nip this in the bud (expression of the week), we may need a specific rule and penalty that addresses it, in the future.
Make sense?

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes perfect sense to me...but then again I am not into saving my past race numbers :)

I would think a few more details in the AG would save you guys many questions that will arise.

Thanks and see you at OC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... this seems nuts. I have raced Oceanside 9 times and never had a problem with the swim start or course in general. The rolling start seems nuts to me. Why would anyone intentionally start later? In my opinion, there is a huge advantage starting early in Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 2017 changes [actiondcpd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actiondcpd wrote:
Wow... this seems nuts. I have raced Oceanside 9 times and never had a problem with the swim start or course in general. The rolling start seems nuts to me. Why would anyone intentionally start later? In my opinion, there is a huge advantage starting early in Oceanside.

Probably because you're a fast swimmer. If your a 40 min swimmer its no fun being ran over by the waves behind you as I have there in the past. Ill be seeding myself appropriately for that reason, won't affect my time (timing mat) more wind/heat a half hour later in the day is fine.

Also, before the waves were spread out over 2 hours, now the rolling starts will be over less than an hour.
Last edited by: CP78: Feb 23, 17 14:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
actiondcpd wrote:

Probably because you're a fast swimmer. If your a 40 min swimmer its no fun being ran over by the waves behind you as I have there in the past. Ill be seeding myself appropriately for that reason, won't affect my time (timing mat) more wind/heat a half hour later in the day is fine.

Also, before the waves were spread out over 2 hours, now the rolling starts will be over less than an hour.

It will be interesting at any rate. I am a :30 swimmer and I've started wave 24 and wave 4, so seen it both ways. I am respectful of swimmers ahead of me and try never to interfere with them, but not having to weave through folks is good.

And I'd actually argue this results in more contact if Cozumel was any indication. With all of the 1:00 swimmers starting together, there was a big bunch to the end rather than an AG spreading out. Hopefully people do seed correctly and it isn't a mosh pit

I haven't seen too much drafting at Oceanside (typical smaller groups of two or three) so not sure it's really going to help that issue much, and may even make it worse since as noted everyone is in within an hour.

ETA, LOL so I guess my takeaway is that this change might result in a more crowded bike and swim on this course :)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 23, 17 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Entire group rolling start just like IM. They did this for Tahoe 70.3 - worked just like IM with signs for predicted swim finish

Julie Dunkle
NYX Endurance,:Swim.Bike.Run.Gravel.Strength Coach
jdunkle.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next