Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions
Quote | Reply
Was finally able to run the gauntlet that is getting a registration. Have heard great things about this race. Couple of ?s

1. Is parking near the Pentagon an option? The parking 411 on the website is really spare. Everything points towards riding the Metro. Just curious if there is any shot of parking nearby. If so, where?
2. Are the water stations sufficient? From what I've read, additional items (even water belts) are seriously frowned upon or specifically prohibited. Reports conflict.
3. Are fuel belts allowed? Typically carry my gels in a small belt as my running shorts don't have pockets. I'm a plodder and hope to run 8:00-8:15 pace so I'm not sure an additional gel would really be helpful for an 1:15 race, but I've heard the last 1.5 miles are pretty rough and having a little extra in the tank helps. Thinking I'll throw one Gel in my belt with a couple of water bottles just so I can have something if I need it (weather can be whacky in DC that time of year). Prefer that if I am permitted.

Any other helpful info would be appreciated.

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [tmshokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running the ATM also. I ran it once in the late 90's. It's a well organized event.

I read your questions and can only answer number 2: Yes. There will be plenty of water stations.

I just read the FAQs on the website and they don't anwer your other questions, but there is an email address for questions:

usarmy.mcnair.mdw.mbx.armytenmiler@mail.mil

Hope this is helpful!

Please let me know if you don't get a response and I'll email a friend of mine who is working the race.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [tmshokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parking is an option near the pentagon or atleast near pentagon city mall, which is very close. If you get there earlier enough you should be okay. I took the metro the year I ran it and it was a mess. So many people and huge lines to get out.

Water stations were pretty good considering the amount of people who run the race. You can bring a fuel belt (saw many others do it) but that might have changed with the new security policies.

The last few miles of the course is pretty tough considering its coming up and over a bridge overpass. Not many people are used to running on one of those/realize how long they actually are/realize there is a slide bend (think NASCAR) to the road.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Any other helpful info would be appreciated."

There are two "N"s in running. Opps make that 3.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Sep 5, 13 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tmshokie wrote:

TIA

there are rumors in the scientific community about ground breaking studies to determine if a human being could possibly run 10 miles without gels or a fuel belt.

It's a long shot I know, but perhaps they'll stumble on that one in a million outlier that can do it.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
tmshokie wrote:

TIA

there are rumors in the scientific community about ground breaking studies to determine if a human being could possibly run 10 miles without gels or a fuel belt.

It's a long shot I know, but perhaps they'll stumble on that one in a million outlier that can do it.

Yeah, I've heard the rumors too. But what about those who are running 10 miles while wearing a full skin-suit for a low cd and a helmet for safety - which of course I always wear on my runs.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he feels he needs gels, he needs gels. Good to ask the question now and plan accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about yours, but my skinsuit/helmet combo has integrated nano-tubes providing liquids straight into the veins using a space-age fabric that reverse wicks moisture right out of the air.

I also wear a reflective belt for safety.

tmshokie wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
tmshokie wrote:

TIA

Yeah, I've heard the rumors too. But what about those who are running 10 miles while wearing a full skin-suit for a low cd and a helmet for safety - which of course I always wear on my runs.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
I don't know about yours, but my skinsuit/helmet combo has integrated nano-tubes providing liquids straight into the veins using a space-age fabric that reverse wicks moisture right out of the air.

I also wear a reflective belt for safety.

tmshokie wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
tmshokie wrote:

TIA

Dammit. Now I need to add "the reflective vest" AND my flashing visor light so people see me coming at my blistering pace. Might need to upgrade to a Roctane and some chomps. Do they offer flat coke at mile 8?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
"Any other helpful info would be appreciated."

There are two "N"s in running. Opps make that 3.

There are also two "O"s in "oops".

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) I'm not sure on parking, but I would recommend getting there EARLY if you're trying to park at Pentagon city. An option that does work well is to a) park at National Airport and b) metro from that side

2) Water stations seemed sufficient to me every time, but I don't need that much water for a 10 miler.

3) I've seen a ton of fuel belts in the past, so I'd think you might be fine. OTOH, this is the first ATM post Boston, and I've got the hunch security is going to be a bit hyper active this year.

A key point, for ATM, get there EARLY. Not just for parking. The Pentagon metro station can't handle that volume of runners, and so it gets backed up also. 2 years ago, it took me about 15 minutes to get out of the station once my train let us off. Screwed up my warm-up.

Also, allow plenty of time to get through the security checkpoint before you get into your corral. Like, at least 10-15 minutes.

They make you use clear plastic bags for bag check. The bags are fairly small.

Corral enforcement is non-existent. It's pretty frustrating.

Despite all of this, it is a good race :)
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also (as noted above), do not assume the entire course is flat. It looks that way on paper, but the 14th street bridge is actually a series of rolling hills. And you also hit at least one more overpass before the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
If he feels he needs gels, he needs gels.

Are you sure?

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:
1) I'm not sure on parking, but I would recommend getting there EARLY if you're trying to park at Pentagon city. An option that does work well is to a) park at National Airport and b) metro from that side

2) Water stations seemed sufficient to me every time, but I don't need that much water for a 10 miler.

3) I've seen a ton of fuel belts in the past, so I'd think you might be fine. OTOH, this is the first ATM post Boston, and I've got the hunch security is going to be a bit hyper active this year.

A key point, for ATM, get there EARLY. Not just for parking. The Pentagon metro station can't handle that volume of runners, and so it gets backed up also. 2 years ago, it took me about 15 minutes to get out of the station once my train let us off. Screwed up my warm-up.

Also, allow plenty of time to get through the security checkpoint before you get into your corral. Like, at least 10-15 minutes.

They make you use clear plastic bags for bag check. The bags are fairly small.

Corral enforcement is non-existent. It's pretty frustrating.

Despite all of this, it is a good race :)

Really helpful, DW. I'm between Springfield and DC at my 'rents house. Thinking it will take me longer to drive to Springfield than to just drive downtown. But parking down there can be so frustrating. Still on the fence. Would love to find a nice out of the way place withing a 1/2 mile of the venue. Good warmup run to get there.

When you say early, how early? I'm guessing I'm going to be 3rd wave or lower, given my blistering mph time. Don't want to stand around for 90 min waiting to get started. If my wave goes off at 8:15, do you think 7:00 is a good arrival time? Good heads up on the heighten security after Boston.

Tks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Fueling needs are different for everyone.

I actually enjoy my PB&J for breakfast and I'm good to go! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
TriBeer wrote:
If he feels he needs gels, he needs gels.

Are you sure?

What I probably need is more Cowbell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tmshokie wrote:

Really helpful, DW. I'm between Springfield and DC at my 'rents house. Thinking it will take me longer to drive to Springfield than to just drive downtown. But parking down there can be so frustrating. Still on the fence. Would love to find a nice out of the way place withing a 1/2 mile of the venue. Good warmup run to get there.

When you say early, how early? I'm guessing I'm going to be 3rd wave or lower, given my blistering mph time. Don't want to stand around for 90 min waiting to get started. If my wave goes off at 8:15, do you think 7:00 is a good arrival time? Good heads up on the heighten security after Boston.

Tks again!

Problem with jogging there is that the whole area is on lockdown, and it can be a mess. It can be ridiculous. I've considered doing the same, but I'm worried I'd get trapped outside of the race staging area.

Are you looking for 1:15 (7:30 pace)? Or 1:22 (8:15 pace). You posted 1:15 and 8:15 pace, which is why I'm confused. Either way, I think you'd be in the first wave, though I'm not sure. I run about 65-66 minutes, and I've always been in the second corral of the first wave, just missing the split for the top corral. I know people shooting for 1:15 have been in that same corral with me, with plenty of corrals in the first wave behind us, so I would think you'd be in the first wave, regardless.

As for arrival time, it depends on whether you're checking a bag, and how much warm-up you need. I need about 3 miles warm-up before racing. In the past, getting there at 6:45 has worked. I think this year, in anticipation of even more mass confusion, I'll get there at 6:30.

If this race is important to you, I'd err on the side of getting there early. It can be a real mess at the start. The start corrals are NOT visible from the metro entrance and bag check, and are a good 5-10 minute walk away (NOT factoring in the extra time it will take you to get through the security checkpoint). There are signs all around, but many of them are unclear. As an example of the mess - the race is staffed by Army soldiers, and they're everywhere. Very few of them will be able to point you in the direction of the start line, though (which amazes me).

Essentially, if you try to jog to the start, allow extra time to get yourself into the staging area.

If you metro, allow extra time a) for your train to get stopped between stations because the system's backed up (happened to me 2 years ago, happened to someone else last year); b) to exit the metro station (which will be reminiscent of trying to exit any venue after a major rock concert)

Once you get there, allow extra time a) for bag check, b) to get through the security checkpoint, and c) to find your corral (which will be marked by an arch of balloons).

Common theme here: allow extra time :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, the race start will last about 45 minutes or so (it's THAT big), and so, if you don't really care about starting with your wave, then you can relax about when you get there. But, I would caution that congestion can be a problem during the first mile or so, and if you start in the second or third wave, you'll likely be doing some walking early on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what I hear you saying is, I should allow for more time. Got it!

I'm a 8:00 runner at that distance. Maybe slightly under if it's cooler, slightly over if it's hotter. I did the math wrong. I'll be around 1:20. I think I put 1:30 on my registration because I HATE people that underestimate and clog the course. I always go higher and run faster if possible. Bottom line, need to be ready to go by 8:00 a.m.

Thanks for the help. Guessing I'll battle the Metro. Seems safest.

Is this race "normally" glove and arm warmer cold or will shorts and tech shirt be fine? I don't want to do drop off if at all possible. I know it depends on the day but I'm in Richmond and the temp swings between DC and RVA can be quite a bit different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tmshokie wrote:
I'll be around 1:20. I think I put 1:30 on my registration because I HATE people that underestimate and clog the course.

That will happen regardless. The corralls are not enforced at all. And, there's a time limit for the course that is not wave start dependent (everyone has to hit mile 5 by 9:45, regardless of when the race starts). As a consequence, some people in the later waves that are concerned about making the cut-off promote themselves to the first wave to maximize their chance of making the time... Every year, I'm dodging power walkers for the first mile. It's outrageous, and I've gotten temped to throw an elbow.

tmshokie wrote:
Is this race "normally" glove and arm warmer cold or will shorts and tech shirt be fine? I don't want to do drop off if at all possible. I know it depends on the day but I'm in Richmond and the temp swings between DC and RVA can be quite a bit different.

I've never run this race in anything but a sportsbra and shorts. But that's what I wear down to 35 degrees or so. I don't think anyone's ever complained about the race being too cold; every once in a while it has a hot year.

BTW, I see that this year they have 6 smaller waves (used to be 3 big ones). So you may be in the second wave. You'll find out at the expo. I would think even 1:30 would be in the second wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Parking at the Mall is fine. I think it was $10 last year.
- BUT, if you are driving, pay attention to the road closures -- your normal route may not be open.
- It is crowded with long lines at the Port-as - if you have a morning ritual, leave time.
- I used a Nathan belt sans the water bottles (plenty on course) just to have somewhere to stuff arm warmers and gloves because I didn't want bring a jacket and do the bag check. Only needed them before and after the run; it was breezy/chilly last year.

---
No fear. No envy. No meanness.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [l8wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roger to all tips, but I would attempt to get to the Pentagon via the south Metro routes, came down from the north, wall-to-wall people. Also if using a garmin, turn off the auto pause as you will go under a few concrete structures that block the signal and will think you have stopped (near the Watergate). Oh and if you plan on running fast, get to the first few waves, or you will be dodging left and right for at least 3 miles. And I waited in the port-o-let lines, long to the point I almost missed my wave start 9which doesn't really matter, you are chip timed, so eh! And crossing the bridges, you will be running on a banked surface, so be warned!

And have a plan to link up with your support crew, because the "hooah" tent area is huge! Enjoy it, have fun, and race well!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Try Not To Puke on the Finish Line!
http://trynot2puke.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Army 10 Miler - Anyone runing this? Got a few questions [l8wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
l8wahoo wrote:
- Parking at the Mall is fine. I think it was $10 last year.
- BUT, if you are driving, pay attention to the road closures -- your normal route may not be open.
- It is crowded with long lines at the Port-as - if you have a morning ritual, leave time.
- I used a Nathan belt sans the water bottles (plenty on course) just to have somewhere to stuff arm warmers and gloves because I didn't want bring a jacket and do the bag check. Only needed them before and after the run; it was breezy/chilly last year.

Thanks, wahoo. Proof that Hokies ans Hoos can get along.

When u say mall, do you mean pentagon city or the dc mall itself? Any idea if/when it fills up?

TIA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have Hokies in the family, so we've learned to co-exist, though I lose a six pack of Fat Tire every November.

I meant Pentagon City, sorry for the confusion. I made the road closure mistake last year so I ended up cutting it way closer than I intended. I think I pulled in to the garage just after 7 and was on the 3rd floor.

---
No fear. No envy. No meanness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done a race in like 8 years, and so brilliantly I'm doing the ATM...

If you don't check anything, do you really go to the race without ID or a phone etc? I'm not wanting to waste time with checking stuff in, but I'm planning on metro'ing (I'm like 5 minutes from EFC). Should I bag that and drive and park at Pentagon Mall?

If my wife was planning on coming to the end of the race (with a 2.5 yo and a 7 week old) should I tell her to skip it and just stay at home?
Quote Reply

Prev Next