Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ORR Carbon Wheels
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard of this company/used these wheels? I find it a bit troubling that I can't seem to locate aero data but for all I know these could be the fastest wheels on the market?
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [gttri15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These look like Chinese open mold rims. Can't tell if they get the rims and build their own wheels, or buy the wheels complete from China and just add decals (ex. http://www.ebay.com/...-Matte-/281118686364 ).

There probably isn't any tunnel data on these, as they are "generic" rims sold through lots of channels.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gttri15 wrote:
Has anyone heard of this company/used these wheels? I find it a bit troubling that I can't seem to locate aero data but for all I know these could be the fastest wheels on the market?

Link to wheels or website?
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, they look to be run of the mill open mold china carbon wheelset. The hubs (at least the front) looks to be the standard novatec model. If this is the case then they are VERY much charging a premium... essentially double the price.
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks they contacted my team about sponsorship so I wanted a few opinions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice set of wheels. I have the ES-60s and love them! I've had them since early May and no issues. Price does include wheels (carbon clinchers), brake pads, and skewers - so def a fair price.

Also, Orr Cycling has great guys behind the scenes as well. Great customer service and willing to answer any questions.
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [tybcoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is it just Chinese carbons with a logo on them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that's a standard Chinese wheel hub and all! They ate literally doubling the price for the stickers! Wow

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Morning Guys,
I am Jason Williamson, the Co-Owner of Orr Cycling. I appreciate the feedback but I wanted to clarify a few things... First, I want to be forth coming in that we make no claim that our wheels aren't manufactured and hand built overseas. We strive to use high quality, light weight alloy hubs with sealed Japanese bearing (these are not Novatec hubs). Secondly, true, we do not have wind tunnel testing at this time as we are growing and hope to have this data to share by the end of the summer. We have already contacted A2 Wind Tunnel in Charlotte, NC.
When each wheelset come to us, we do our own in house quality control inspections, including checking true, dishing and spoke tension.
As to the prices we have set, these are our retail prices but we are eager to help the end consumer save money! We would like to offer 20% OFF. Contact me directly by phone or email if you are interested.
If you are local to the Upstate of South Carolina, we offer free "demo" test rides from our shop or at many of the local events we sponsor.

We know that there are many wheel companies out there, some great and some not so great. We also know that you can find dirt cheap wheels on ebay and other sites. When we set out to build our company and the brand of ORR, wanted to be able to not only offer a quality product at a more affordable price than the "big guys" but also offer a product that we will stand behind! We are small and growing each month and we hope that you will give a look the next time you are in the market for wheel!

Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [jasonsc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no direct experience with the wheels, but I know Jason well. He's a great guy who loves cycling and I know he's worked hard and been very particular about the suppliers he's selected to build ORR wheels.

I'll share one anecdote. Our team had a training camp in the mountains along the NC/SC border. Two of the guys were riding carbon clinchers ... Jason was on his ORR wheels and another guy had another brand of what I'll call "boutique" imported wheels. Both Jason and this other guy are of similar size. Neither of them are pencil-neck geeks ... not by a long shot. There was one extraordinarily long and steep descent and, at the end, Jason's wheels were fine. The other guy's day was over. His wheel was warped beyond rideability.

I'm looking forward to the chance to give Jason's wheels a tryout in the next few weeks. I know he has some local race wins on his wheels including, if I'm not mistaken, a state championship or two. That may not sound like much, but he's only just started this wheel rolling.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [jasonsc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jasonsc wrote:
Good Morning Guys,
I am Jason Williamson, the Co-Owner of Orr Cycling. I appreciate the feedback but I wanted to clarify a few things... First, I want to be forth coming in that we make no claim that our wheels aren't manufactured and hand built overseas. We strive to use high quality, light weight alloy hubs with sealed Japanese bearing (these are not Novatec hubs). Secondly, true, we do not have wind tunnel testing at this time as we are growing and hope to have this data to share by the end of the summer. We have already contacted A2 Wind Tunnel in Charlotte, NC.
When each wheelset come to us, we do our own in house quality control inspections, including checking true, dishing and spoke tension.
As to the prices we have set, these are our retail prices but we are eager to help the end consumer save money! We would like to offer 20% OFF. Contact me directly by phone or email if you are interested.
If you are local to the Upstate of South Carolina, we offer free "demo" test rides from our shop or at many of the local events we sponsor.

We know that there are many wheel companies out there, some great and some not so great. We also know that you can find dirt cheap wheels on ebay and other sites. When we set out to build our company and the brand of ORR, wanted to be able to not only offer a quality product at a more affordable price than the "big guys" but also offer a product that we will stand behind! We are small and growing each month and we hope that you will give a look the next time you are in the market for wheel!

So Orr cycling just became the official wheel of Setup Events here on the east coast. Good business move for Orr. However, a year later and there still isn't anything that suggests these wheels have ever been tested (see quote above from Orr from June 2013) by anyone other than some "extremely competitive" age groupers. I'm not knocking these age groupers, they'd swim/bike/run circles around me. Does anyone know if they've done any actual research? It's nice to have a US face on Chicom wheels and a 1-year warranty but I'm not sure that justifies the extra $$$. Am I missing something?

USAT Level 1 Coach
redrockmultisport@gmail.com
Last edited by: Mtneer: Jun 4, 14 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [Mtneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I refuse to ride chinese carbon clinchers that have been renamed. My life, my saftey, and my money is worth investing in brands that have actually done the research, testing, and engineering.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone who thinks their Carbon Wheels were made in the USA is not in the KNOW.

All Carbon in manufactured overseas by 4 companies, good carbon comes from Taiwan, Bad carbon typically comes from China. I know this because of industry insiders that I know and trust.
This being said, ORR Custom Wheels are a local company, and if you have any problems they are there to help. Can EBAY Sellers or other places say this? I think not.

Go to a local race in SC or GA, they are onsite, have a professional set-up, and will take care of your needs. Do I have a set of ORR Wheels? Not yet, but will have them shortly.

As to "I will not trust my life with overseas carbon", well I guess your Carbon Bike/Wheels/Bars/Seat post are all aluminum?
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [Gary_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to mis-interpret my post.

I said I don't trust my life to carbon wheels manufactured overseas. Zipp and ENVE build all of their wheels in the US. Sure, the carbon may not come from the US but the finished product is built here in the US.

The carbon fiber comes into the factory here in the US and wheels go out the door. That means more to me than saving money

Companies that buy and resell wheels from China with different labels will never get my money. I'm not saying Orr Cycling is a bad company. I'm sure they are great guys and I have seen them at Beach 2 Battleship and other Setup Events races. I hope their company does well. There is definitely a market for their wheels.

For me, however, I prefer companies that design and build their wheels here in the US.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 27, 15 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super old thread. But, Anyone have any more recent experience with these wheels? Disc specifically?
Quote Reply
Re: ORR Carbon Wheels [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had mine for a couple of years and I haven't had issues. I like them but I don't have anything to compare them too.
Quote Reply