Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY
Quote | Reply
What is wrong with you people? I come on here tonight expecting this place to be lit up with commentary on the (arguably) most exceptional solo performance in long course triathlon history and you idiots are talking about your Edge 520 sync errors, Giro Aerohead grams of drag, and other completely useless topics.

The one thread on favoritism of Frodo was so idiotic not even Dev replied to it. This place used to have standards.
Last edited by: romulusmagnus: Jul 17, 16 17:47
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was surprised too. I was able to find these though:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_feed_here_P6009547

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...a_triathlon_P6009785

(The second one mostly discusses whether it is that impressive. So really reactions to this range from luke-warm to negative)

Edit: sorry should have read your whole post, you've seen the threads)
Last edited by: andy12: Jul 17, 16 17:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of us were discussing this at 5:30 am (EST)...

And yes, it is really impressive.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I followed the thread...I'm just saying, much much less amazing performances have garnered far more attention on these boards.

When Starky went 4:04 at IMFL and then ran like 2:59 there were about three threads talking about that ape's bike split.

Yet Frodo goes :45, 4:08, 2:39 and we are wondering how to get a pair of Continental Supersonics. This place has become Thomas Gerlach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
Yet Frodo goes :45, 4:08, 2:39 and we are wondering how to get a pair of Continental Supersonics. This place has become Thomas Gerlach.

Line of the year!

I like Gerlach ad appreciate his being on here, but that made me laugh hard.

I think Frodo suffers a bit from the perception of inevitability, especially after his Frankfurt uber bike last year. That guy is a total stud and must be in any conversation for GOAT.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 4 posts before romulusmagnus goes after Gerlach. Again.

Why do you have such a hard-on for him?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is left for Frodeno? A new record in Kona? That record is so weather related that it would be tough to focus on records, just winning.
Yes, very impressive!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) No Americans finished even in the same time zone as the winner.
2) Race/coverage was middle of the night for the US audience.
3) This is an American forum.
4) It didn't happen here, hence some shady things probably took place.

romulusmagnus wrote:
What is wrong with you people? I come on here tonight expecting this place to be lit up with commentary on the (arguably) most exceptional solo performance in long course triathlon history and you idiots are talking about your Edge 520 sync errors, Giro Aerohead grams of drag, and other completely useless topics.

The one thread on favoritism of Frodo was so idiotic not even Dev replied to it. This place used to have standards.
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5. He didn't get an Ironman t-shirt.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost as impressive to Jan's overall time is that both Jan and Skipper went sub 2.40 on the run.

Even if the run is slightly short (it may be accurate - not sure), this is killing it. 2.38 by Skipper is legendary and Jan's after his swim bike is all time.

As good or better than Ironwar for the run leg? Not sure if the Ironwar run included one transition, but smoking fast.
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [RizzaNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, no. Iron war was actually a race. This was a procession. Skipper ran an unbelievable marathon, but he was barely in the same town as Frodeno on finishing time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the actual swim/bike/run distance at Challenge Roth? I see in the Athlete Guide it's very close to Ironman distances - 2.4swim/112bike/26.2run. But I look at actual activities where people have raced it, and the actual distances wind up being shorter. So what is the real distance covered? Anybody here raced it with GPS?
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he qualify for Kona?

He should go okay there. Maybe top 5?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
I followed the thread...I'm just saying, much much less amazing performances have garnered far more attention on these boards.

When Starky went 4:04 at IMFL and then ran like 2:59 there were about three threads talking about that ape's bike split.

I opened this thread topic expecting you to throw something my way. Did not disappoint. Were you trying to get one in there thinking I would be too tired post Ironman Racine 70.3? Btw, decided not to roll the Supersonics since they appear impossible to come by and thus resulting in me having to ration their use from here on out.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if Jan Frodeno was rolling Supersonics.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim 3812-3950 depending on your garmin so accurate course.

Bike 178.5km with 1575m (5000ft) climbing and bit of head wind second lap.
Frodo also over cooked it on a decent and went straight onto grass at a sharp fast left that has hay bales for safety. Had to get off bike and roll back onto course. Don't think he fell over but may have.

Run 41.3km with 375m climbing.

Short enough t1 (200m) and t2 (100m) helps times.

So granted run is a little short. But with that climbing at 2km, 11km and 29km it hurts a lot.
Soft surface mostly helps times a bit.

Even if you add the extra 900m for run it would still have been a record so no complaints with course length.

For a fast course, it's damn hard.
I swear mallorca was easier probably due to flat run!

He's on another level and this record was legitimate.

Ryf's bike is worth a mention. Just 10mins off Joe skipper a very strong biker himself. Serious split. And she is a fish. Run getting better so runny has her work cut out in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at Strava it appears that the bike is 2-3km short and the run is 1km short.
I can't find any info about the swim.

I will be doing Roth next year, so I can let you know then!
Last edited by: NUFCrichard: Jul 18, 16 1:11
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced yesterday and the bike was 2k short
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
What is the actual swim/bike/run distance at Challenge Roth? I see in the Athlete Guide it's very close to Ironman distances - 2.4swim/112bike/26.2run. But I look at actual activities where people have raced it, and the actual distances wind up being shorter. So what is the real distance covered? Anybody here raced it with GPS?

I got 110.8/26.0 in 2013.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am waiting for the Slowtwitch simpletons to explain how Ryf's equipment choices hurt her......if she listened to them she would have gone under 8 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [dixbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dixbry wrote:
I raced yesterday and the bike was 2k short

Well, with 5000 ft of climbing, it's getting close to 2000m of climbing, so you get your 178K + 2000m vertical, so let's call it a wash. The man is on another level as Andreas was in 2011 with his 7:41 or Luc Van Leirde in 1997 (4 guys sub 8 that year too, Luc's time 7:50). Van Lierde's bike time barely hold's up to Ryf's though (LVL did a 4:28) but had that crazy 2:36 run. Aero gear at the time was pretty rudimentary compared to today and LVL's position kind of sucked.

To the person asking about Ironwar, T2 was part of Mark Allen and Dave Scott's run split. Mark's run was largely regarded as the only sub 2:40 run ever in Kona. You can probably calculate the exact transition times with youtube videos.

The hard thing about comparing bike and ensuing run splits between all these races is how much does the motorcade help. Herbert says in the front page article that the motorcade was asked to stay at least 25m in front and 3m beside. That's a lot closer than what Jan himself gets in Kona, but it may be further than what Marino gets in Austria, or Ralaert got at the 7:41 at Roth 2011. I have no doubt that in the Mark vs Dave Scot 1989 Ironwar, the motorcades were a lot closer than they are today in Kona and probably what Jan got in Roth and likel had a big contribution to "fresh enough legs for the run" during the Ironwar 2:40ish run. At least Felix and team are trying to keep this legit at Roth, but I think 25m is not enough. It should be ~200m and use a big telephoto lens or be somewhat behind but again 100m clear of the next follower. Jan get's this record either way. I am sure if/once he shows the powerfiles all you guys questioning will be appeased. The guy is a legit monster.

One question related to the discussion on other thread. I assume the water was wetsuit legal for pros and age groupers. With all the debate at Frankfurt about it being no wetsuit for amateurs, would this be no wetsuit under WTC pro rules? Was the water similar temp to Frankfurt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:

Well, I just went over to the other thread and replied....but in general I prefer discussing people and performances, not equipment, sync errors, and the like. In 5 years, we won't remember any of the gear, but we'll remember the performances. Kudos to Jan....would love to see a sub 8 now in Kona (50-4:25-2:40-5).
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This comes from my 920:
Swim 4066m ( I usually swim straight as f... But might be off a little this time)
Bike 179,1 km / 1450m elevation
Run 41,4 km / 99m elevation

When Jan passed me on the bike I've seen some grass marks on his suit, so he might touched ground during the bike leg.
Impressive time.
Conditions were great except some rain right over the only tricky part of the decent after Greding.

A great race to do.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:

Almost positive it was GP4000
Quote Reply
Re: OMFG JAN FRODENO WENT 7:35 IN ROTH TODAY [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
georged wrote:

Almost positive it was GP4000

Photo gallery on front page states "custom" tires......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next