Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OK Slowtwichers…Diagnosis my illness
Quote | Reply
I have had congestion in my throat (between Adams apple and top of the sternum) for 9 weeks now and can’t get over it. I have been to three doctors (Pulmonologist, ENT, and GP) and nothing seems to work. I’ve tried all the allergy and asthma medications but nothing has worked. I had an allergy test done and a sinusitis CT scan performed on me and both came back clear and normal. I have even gone through 2 rounds of antibiotics but all to no avail. One doctor even gave me some Nexium fearing I had acid reflux and that also didn’t work. I have recently stopped all dairy products to reduce mucus but no results yet. I constantly feel like I have to clear my throat, and its worst when exercising which is really frustrating. I don’t have a fever and have not missed a single day of work because of it but the hacking cough to clear my throat is wearing me down and my training has suffered during this time. Anyone out there ever experience something like this and how did you get over it?

Many thanks,

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: OK Slowtwichers…Diagnosis my illness [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't diagnose it but maybe an anecdote will help you. I had something similar a year ago, except rather than congestion as you describe it, it was like low-grade asthma, along with some occassional mild coughing. Stess tests, cat scans, pulmonology etc. with several doctors. I finally saw a pulmonologist who hypothesized that it was a nasal allergy that was causing upper respiratory complications. He put me on Rhinocort for the nasal component, along with another sunstance for the asthma. They turned the trick, and I was finally able to go back to normal training. You might ask about the nasal aspect if you haven't already.

In addition, the prime suspect in my situaton was a sick building I was occupying at the time- it had a history of water penetration, and things growing in it. Take a hard look at your surroundings, ESPECIALLY if you've never had a problem quite like this before now. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do your symptoms seem worse after you eat or exercise hard? If so, I'd revisit the acid reflux possibility (I had similar symptoms and my diagnosis, which was correct, was acid reflux). I took Aciphex for about 4 months (these types of medications take a while to work, and you need to use them for some time to allow the scaring in your esophagus to heal) and I feel fine now. I remember it taking about a month before I really started to notice an improvement in how I felt. During the following three months, if I missed my daily dose I'd know it by evening (symptoms would recur). After four months, I was asymptomatic and I stopped taking Aciphex. I'm asymptomatic 7 months and counting.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to get a low grade virus every few years. The last one was about a year ago, and it just plain took over a month to get over it. No treatment worked. other than sitting on the couch and 10 hours of sleep a night.

The time before that was about six years ago. That one was a lot like you are going through. That one took three to four months to get over. Again, the only thing that finally worked was being inactive. Except for getting through the day, the most strenuous thing I did was watch TV and sleep. It took a good three weeks of that to do the trick.

When you are better, your body will tell you. It will be in a rush for your bike or running shoes. When that happens, restrain yourself for another four days. You will know the day after your first workout if you are back.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply