Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread
Quote | Reply
Figured I'd get the ball rolling. Just ordered mine on Wednesday and I'm hoping I'll get it quicker than the 4-6 weeks the website is saying.

Does anyone have one yet? Any insights?

DCR is hopefully posting his review next week.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had one for over a week. I pre ordered it on clevertraining.

I have 4 hours of use exclusively on trainerroad. So far I like it a lot, primarily because it feels so much better than my wheel on trainers. It takes 5 min to set up and seems to be very solid. I can't compare it to other comparable trainers like the Kickr or Neo. My only experience is on a Computrainer and Tacx Vortex. I purchased it over the Kickr primarily for the adjustability between 130mm and 142mm rear hubs. So far I have only had a Specialized Shiv and Ceepo Stinger with 130mm spacing- no issues with these bikes fitting on the Hammer. The Hammer is super quiet. I do not have to raise the TV volume to watch a movie while on the trainer with a fan on. My kids have also been in the room watching TV and have not complained about the volume.

My experience with Trainerroad has been good. The trainer feels great compared to the Computrainer and Vortex. The power readings seem to be reasonable but I haven't compared with my power meter. The most noticeable difference between the Hammer and other trainers is when used in ERG mode on trainerroad. I am used to my power reading fluctuating +/-2% when in ERG mode on Computrainer or Vortex. The Hammer reads +/- 10%. In my opinion this is similar to what my power meter would read on a ride outside if I was trying to do intervals. For example, if I was doing a 2 min interval at 300 watts my computrainer would read between 295-305. The Hammer reads 270-330. I still achieve the same average power. It is most noticeable at the end of the interval when the power drops. If i am spinning at 110rpm and 300 watts and all of a sudden the power drops to 150 and my cadence goes to 85rpm the power reading will drop to close to zero and then work its way back to the target rest power. In my opinion this gives the trainer a pedal feel that is very similar to riding outside. However, I am not sure if it is because the trainer is so new and trainerroad is not smoothing the power readings. The hammer readings look like 1 second output on a power meter compared to my other wheel on trainers reading like 5 or 10 second output when in ERG mode.

I am looking forward to hearing other users opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [maw262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maw262 wrote:
I have had one for over a week. I pre ordered it on clevertraining.

I have 4 hours of use exclusively on trainerroad. So far I like it a lot, primarily because it feels so much better than my wheel on trainers. It takes 5 min to set up and seems to be very solid. I can't compare it to other comparable trainers like the Kickr or Neo. My only experience is on a Computrainer and Tacx Vortex. I purchased it over the Kickr primarily for the adjustability between 130mm and 142mm rear hubs. So far I have only had a Specialized Shiv and Ceepo Stinger with 130mm spacing- no issues with these bikes fitting on the Hammer. The Hammer is super quiet. I do not have to raise the TV volume to watch a movie while on the trainer with a fan on. My kids have also been in the room watching TV and have not complained about the volume.

My experience with Trainerroad has been good. The trainer feels great compared to the Computrainer and Vortex. The power readings seem to be reasonable but I haven't compared with my power meter. The most noticeable difference between the Hammer and other trainers is when used in ERG mode on trainerroad. I am used to my power reading fluctuating +/-2% when in ERG mode on Computrainer or Vortex. The Hammer reads +/- 10%. In my opinion this is similar to what my power meter would read on a ride outside if I was trying to do intervals. For example, if I was doing a 2 min interval at 300 watts my computrainer would read between 295-305. The Hammer reads 270-330. I still achieve the same average power. It is most noticeable at the end of the interval when the power drops. If i am spinning at 110rpm and 300 watts and all of a sudden the power drops to 150 and my cadence goes to 85rpm the power reading will drop to close to zero and then work its way back to the target rest power. In my opinion this gives the trainer a pedal feel that is very similar to riding outside. However, I am not sure if it is because the trainer is so new and trainerroad is not smoothing the power readings. The hammer readings look like 1 second output on a power meter compared to my other wheel on trainers reading like 5 or 10 second output when in ERG mode.

I am looking forward to hearing other users opinions.

Thanks for posting! I like hearing how quick of a setup it is and how quite it is. Since it's got that handle and supposedly not difficult to move, I plan on going from the computer room to the living room to watch tv with the wife.

Very interesting about the power. I can't wait to try it out as this will be my first time with a smart trainer (coming from a Kinetic Road Machine). I also have PowerTap P1 pedals and I'm hoping that TR or Zwift will allow the pedals to dictate the power readings, that way I can keep them the same from inside to outside.

Hoping this class of trainer really does simulate better road feel, since it has a huge flywheel, and is as awesome as it seems! Really excited to use it on Zwift and feel it change that resistance.

Do either of your bikes have horizontal dropouts?

How long did it take you to get yours from the date you ordered?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Figured I'd get the ball rolling. Just ordered mine on Wednesday and I'm hoping I'll get it quicker than the 4-6 weeks the website is saying.

Anybody know the decibel level of the original Kickr? Seems like a mild selling point, although I would think a fan is going to be equally as loud.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered the Hammer in late Nov or early Dec when the 20% clever training coupon was about to expire. The Hammer is extremely easy to move. After you install the cassette all you have to do is fold the legs out and you're ready to go. The legs have adjustable feet which helps me because my basement floor is not level. The legs also secure a front wheel holder. It is very easy to move or store the unit and it is actually fairly small compared to a Vortex or Computrainer. It probably weighs 2x what the Vortex weighs. The shipping weight on the box read 60 lbs but I believe the actual unit is 47lbs.

I do not have a bike with horizontal dropouts. My shiv does have a medium cage sram 1 force derailleur and it fits fine. I do have DT-Swiss skewers which twist rather than clamp and they are a pain to use on the hammer because their isn't a lot of room to twist them tight. I have plenty of traditional skewers and have been using those with no problems.

I have no experience riding a Kickr but I have heard the older model. The Hammer is much quieter than the original Kickr. I didn't buy it for the noise level but I think it is the best feature because I tend to watch movies while on the trainer and I do not have to blast the volume with the Hammer.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Anybody know the decibel level of the original Kickr? Seems like a mild selling point, although I would think a fan is going to be equally as loud.

Not sure about original kickr but over on DCR a lot of people are saying their fan ends up being louder than these quiet trainers that are out there. At the same time a bunch of people were saying the noise level was a big concern for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! So it did take about 3ish weeks to get to you. I don't want to wait that long! Haha. Hope it comes quickly!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one on order with brands cycle with 15% discount that was to ship after 1/14, then saw Colorado Cyclist had 2 in stock with $300 off. It will be here next Thursday. Can't wait to see how it will read compared to my Quarq.

I'm going to all Bluetooth...iPhone 7 hammer, tickr and kickr cadence with Zwift, to my Apple TV. Hopefully they will all play nice together.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
I had one on order with brands cycle with 15% discount that was to ship after 1/14, then saw Colorado Cyclist had 2 in stock with $300 off. It will be here next Thursday. Can't wait to see how it will read compared to my Quarq.

I'm going to all Bluetooth...iPhone 7 hammer, tickr and kickr cadence with Zwift, to my Apple TV. Hopefully they will all play nice together.

I'm getting mine direct from Cycleops. I'm gonna mix between BT and ant+. In the living room I'll be BT with my iPhone, tickr and p1 pedals. In front of the computer lll probably go ant+ because I don't think my 2010 iMac is bt4.0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does your cadence on the Hammer related to cadence on the road? For example: When I do a TT at FTP on the road my cadence is usually 95-100. When I do FTP intervals on my cycleops Fluid2, I usually end up settling in at about 85. I'm sure this is due to the way the resistance is loaded onto the drivetrain on the trainer vs. the road.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same cadence on Hammer compared to road. I find the Hammer to feel great at any cadence and standing. Typically, with wheel on trainers I can't tolerate doing intervals at less than 85 rpm but I have been fine on the Hammer. Same goes with standing intervals.

I used it again last night and here are a couple observations that I failed to mention.

1. I have been using it with an Ant+ adapter. If I use Bluetooth in TrainerRoad the Hammer is recognized as a Power Beam Pro. TrainerRoad says that they are still working on releasing an update that recognizes the Hammer.

2. I have been calibrating using the Cycleops App. The calibrations takes 120 seconds so it is longer than other Apps. I have not been able to calibrate in Trainerroad. The spindown when you stop pedaling after you reach the instructed speed for the specified amount of time takes a very long time. Typically, the wheel spins for about 30 seconds after riding at 20mph. I am not sure how this compares to Neo or Kickr, but wheel on trainers take less than half that time to stop spinning. I spoke with Cycleops and they said that is how the unit was designed because on the road if you were pedaling at 20mph it would take 30 seconds or so to come to a stop. The Cycleops App works fine with the long spindown calibration while TrainerRoad seems to timeout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maw262 wrote:
Same cadence on Hammer compared to road. I find the Hammer to feel great at any cadence and standing. Typically, with wheel on trainers I can't tolerate doing intervals at less than 85 rpm but I have been fine on the Hammer. Same goes with standing intervals.

I used it again last night and here are a couple observations that I failed to mention.

1. I have been using it with an Ant+ adapter. If I use Bluetooth in TrainerRoad the Hammer is recognized as a Power Beam Pro. TrainerRoad says that they are still working on releasing an update that recognizes the Hammer.

2. I have been calibrating using the Cycleops App. The calibrations takes 120 seconds so it is longer than other Apps. I have not been able to calibrate in Trainerroad. The spindown when you stop pedaling after you reach the instructed speed for the specified amount of time takes a very long time. Typically, the wheel spins for about 30 seconds after riding at 20mph. I am not sure how this compares to Neo or Kickr, but wheel on trainers take less than half that time to stop spinning. I spoke with Cycleops and they said that is how the unit was designed because on the road if you were pedaling at 20mph it would take 30 seconds or so to come to a stop. The Cycleops App works fine with the long spindown calibration while TrainerRoad seems to timeout.

1) has that caused any issues that you've noticed?

2) are you calibrating before each ride? Or is it done after 8-10 mins of riding? I thought I read somewhere that the Hammer doesn't need to be calibrated each ride. Wondering if I end up being able to use my P1 pedals as the power source if I can just use their calibration as it takes a few seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
I'm getting mine direct from Cycleops. I'm gonna mix between BT and ant+. In the living room I'll be BT with my iPhone, tickr and p1 pedals. In front of the computer lll probably go ant+ because I don't think my 2010 iMac is bt4.0

I see they do make a BT 4 USB dongle that's compatible with Mac for $12 if you run into any issues switching between the two standards.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

I see they do make a BT 4 USB dongle that's compatible with Mac for $12 if you run into any issues switching between the two standards.

Very interesting! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Haven't tried it in Bluetooth. I emailed TrainerRoad and they said that pairing it as a Power Beam Pro is not a big deal.

2. I have calibrated it through the Cycleops App before each ride after a 10 min warmup. Not sure if this is necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been testing the Hammer for the past few weeks and I don't think it's noisy at all. It is in line with the new KICKR and maybe a tiny bit noisier but not that bad. Not even close to the original KICKR. I will have a review up on the site next week but the trainer is very solid and you will be very happy with it.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Not sure about original kickr but over on DCR a lot of people are saying their fan ends up being louder than these quiet trainers that are out there. At the same time a bunch of people were saying the noise level was a big concern for them.

I have the original Kickr and a big ass Fan, a quiet trainer would make no difference regarding noise. If you live in an apartment where you can't make noise you will have to forgo a big fan and IMO that will ruin your power output massively. I see pictures of peoples indoor set ups and it's obvious why they can't match their outdoor power.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
I have been testing the Hammer for the past few weeks and I don't think it's noisy at all. It is in line with the new KICKR and maybe a tiny bit noisier but not that bad. Not even close to the original KICKR. I will have a review up on the site next week but the trainer is very solid and you will be very happy with it.

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for that review
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maw262 wrote:
I am used to my power reading fluctuating +/-2% when in ERG mode on Computrainer or Vortex. The Hammer reads +/- 10%. In my opinion this is similar to what my power meter would read on a ride outside if I was trying to do intervals. For example, if I was doing a 2 min interval at 300 watts my computrainer would read between 295-305. The Hammer reads 270-330. I still achieve the same average power. It is most noticeable at the end of the interval when the power drops. If i am spinning at 110rpm and 300 watts and all of a sudden the power drops to 150 and my cadence goes to 85rpm the power reading will drop to close to zero and then work its way back to the target rest power. In my opinion this gives the trainer a pedal feel that is very similar to riding outside. However, I am not sure if it is because the trainer is so new and trainerroad is not smoothing the power readings. The hammer readings look like 1 second output on a power meter compared to my other wheel on trainers reading like 5 or 10 second output when in ERG mode.

The difference in power output you're seeing is likely just the difference in power-measuring devices on each trainer in combination with each trainer's flywheel and the smoothing effects they have. It does appear that the Hammer's power is a bit more volatile, but like you mentioned, amounts to the same average power. This is actually more than likely a more accurate representation of your actual power output. If that wider range throws you off at all, feel free to enable power smoothing in the 'User Settings' tab of the app to smooth things out. :)

Hope this helps — Happy Training!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Very interesting about the power. I can't wait to try it out as this will be my first time with a smart trainer (coming from a Kinetic Road Machine). I also have PowerTap P1 pedals and I'm hoping that TR or Zwift will allow the pedals to dictate the power readings, that way I can keep them the same from inside to outside.

Feel free to use your power meter + smart trainer with TR. :) While using our feature known as PowerMatch, we'll keep a running offset of any potential discrepancies between your power meter's power and your smart trainer's power. In doing so, we'll display power from your P1s while also adjusting your trainer's resistance based off the P1's power rather than the smart trainer's.

If you'd like to learn more, take a gander here: PowerMatch

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Feel free to use your power meter + smart trainer with TR. :) While using our feature known as PowerMatch, we'll keep a running offset of any potential discrepancies between your power meter's power and your smart trainer's power. In doing so, we'll display power from your P1s while also adjusting your trainer's resistance based off the P1's power rather than the smart trainer's.

If you'd like to learn more, take a gander here: PowerMatch

Cheers,

Awesome! Thanks for chiming in. I plan on using TR for more structured workouts. Hoping Zwift can do this too. It's fun to ride around a virtual world. Keeps things interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for chiming in. I plan on using TR for more structured workouts. Hoping Zwift can do this too. It's fun to ride around a virtual world. Keeps things interesting.

Very welcome! And feel free to integrate any other forms of entertainment with TR as well. You can simply put your workout window into 'Minimal' view (which you'll find in the lower right-hand corner) and run a movie or cycling race along side your workout. :)

Be sure to let us know at support@trainerroad.com if you run into any questions or concerns — we're here to help!

Happy Training,

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Cycleops Hammer Thread [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Very welcome! And feel free to integrate any other forms of entertainment with TR as well. You can simply put your workout window into 'Minimal' view (which you'll find in the lower right-hand corner) and run a movie or cycling race along side your workout. :)

Be sure to let us know at support@trainerroad.com if you run into any questions or concerns — we're here to help!

Happy Training,

I have done that before. But I'm wondering if it would work with Zwift? It seems like you can't have anything going but the Zwift window.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
I have done that before. But I'm wondering if it would work with Zwift? It seems like you can't have anything going but the Zwift window.

You mean running TR in minimal view with Zwift running simultaneously? This can be done. :) Here's a good thread to learn how you can get that going: TrainerRoad + Zwift

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Cycleops released the long awaited firmware update yesterday.

Has anyone downloaded and used it yet? Thoughts?
Quote Reply

Prev Next