Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [GaryV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha. Based on the response we got, we hit the $1000 donation mark within about 30 minutes of posting this on Facebook. I think we'll have 1000+ people out there, so 1-2 laps is plenty.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has this been posted? Looters (some with race bags) stealing 100$ marathon jackets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hM7Ura6Q4w
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got home from the airport after a long. long day of travel. Did a lot of thinking on my way home and will definitely be there next year again to run this race.

At first I admit I was pissed off when I saw people wearing their medals after the race at dinner, but now I know that we can not be intimidated or pushed around by such a cowardly act.

My wife, mother and 8 year old son were camped out about 20 yards (we figure) from where the second blast went off. They got there about 9:00 am and left about 1:00 when they saw me pass by...I feel fortunate that I get to see my 8 year old son tonight.

I will be back and running for little Martin...sad..sad day....

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We too just got home to SoCal tonight on Jet Blue flight with probably 30 marathon runners all sharing their stories and feelings about what happened. It was very odd walking around town this morning and getting lunch. I will say though...the people of Boston have been AWESOME. We had several locals approach us and strike up conversation asking how we were doing. It's quite clear that Bostonians have great pride in this race, and it was a fantastic feeling to be around that under those circumstances.

I didn't qualify for this race (my wife was racing) but this event has convinced me that I just HAVE to qualify for next year so my wife and I can both run as a big FU to whoever did this.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a note to say thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions about funds or just encouragement. I'm going to split any funds I raise equally between the One Fund and the CAF Boston Fund. If anyone fancies throwing a few notes in then the site is here: http://www.indiegogo.com/...mb-victims/x/3028238

Cheers

Rob K
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Khyron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, that video probably isn't what it seems.

http://gawker.com/...ton-marathon-attacks

Second of all, even if it was, why post that here? To remind us that there are shitty people out there? Fucking c'mon man, we already know that, you don't need to remind us in this thread which is almost exclusively positive.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're following at reddit you know Nicole Gross was injured (though one of the few with no loss of limb). My thoughts go out to her and her family.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching the newscast yesterday and this morning, I'm angry that some on-air and on-radio psychology "experts" are using the term "lone wolf" to describe an individual who might perpetrate such an act as Boston. I'm angry because of the word "wolf". I'd rather they used a more correct and psychologically descriptive term, like "lone f&@king COWARD"!
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the proper term for this person, the kid in ct and co etc. is murderer. Nothing fancy - just what they are. Lump them in with the rest of their kind.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was working towards a BQ last year when I hurt my back, so now I'm fully vested in going for a BQ now.

Questions -
1) Why is it taking so long to come out with any information about who and why?
2) What happens to the runners that didn't get to finish? Still finishers and awarded jackets/medals/etc? I know it the grand scheme it might not be a big deal, but to some, its a VERY big deal.
3) Anyone AFFECTED by the acts on Monday is a victim, so for the runners/spectators/everyday joe that has an extreme emotion, it is warranted and you have the absolut right to voice it. Don't start turning on each other for voicing such opinions and emotions.
4) Did anyone read about Joe Andruzzi? Damn, THERE is a tough guy!
5) How will this change future high participant/spectator endurance races (Marathons/Tour De France/Ironmans)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
If you're following at reddit you know Nicole Gross was injured (though one of the few with no loss of limb). My thoughts go out to her and her family.

Here is a local story about Nicole. I don't know Nicole, though I often see her at the pool coaching. So upset to hear not only about her, but her sister and husband. Just horrible.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/...lotte-are-among.html

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Boston Marathon Bombing experience - up close

http://www.chiropracticfirst.ca/...3-from-20-feet-away/

Still can't believe what has happened.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [freddieso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you're ok.

What a day. We left 15 minutes before the bombings. Our hotel was not far from the finish, so I was in the shower when it happened. Wife was yelling for me to come look on the TV. After that, the city went into lock-down mode and we pretty much had to stay in the hotel...We hung out in the lobby with the other marathoners (and their families) talking about what had happened. We also saw the hospital (directly across the street) go into lock-down mode and start to get very, very busy.

Sad, sad day.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Because it is important to be thorough and correct. Remember Richard Jewell?
2. I saw a lot of them claiming bags and medals on Tuesday. Yes, they all received medals.
3. The number of Bostonians that offered to buy us a mean, a drink, or give us a place to stay was overwhelming. Same thing for the incredible job done by police, EMS, National Guard, etc. one of the most incredible things I saw was a guy in full military gear and pack running the marathon, clearly exhausted, but then dropping his pack and running towards the explosions. We ARE the good guys.
5. Life goes on. The goal of terrorism is to make people afraid. Be vigilant, but don't be afraid. Keep on spectating, participating, whatever you would do normally.
prattzc wrote:
I was working towards a BQ last year when I hurt my back, so now I'm fully vested in going for a BQ now.

Questions -
1) Why is it taking so long to come out with any information about who and why?
2) What happens to the runners that didn't get to finish? Still finishers and awarded jackets/medals/etc? I know it the grand scheme it might not be a big deal, but to some, its a VERY big deal.
3) Anyone AFFECTED by the acts on Monday is a victim, so for the runners/spectators/everyday joe that has an extreme emotion, it is warranted and you have the absolut right to voice it. Don't start turning on each other for voicing such opinions and emotions.
4) Did anyone read about Joe Andruzzi? Damn, THERE is a tough guy!
5) How will this change future high participant/spectator endurance races (Marathons/Tour De France/Ironmans)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the I will not fear them thread, my suggestion for a shirt logo for next year's race:

Now if only I could manage to BQ...

Quote | Reply
jbnc77 wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:

Here is a local story about Nicole. I don't know Nicole, though I often see her at the pool coaching. So upset to hear not only about her, but her sister and husband. Just horrible.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/...lotte-are-among.html

I know Nicole. It's horrible, although she is pretty lucky - considering. Most recent report is that she is being prepped for her third surgery. The local s/b/r community is rallying to assist them. Follow @theodenjanes or like "Run with Theoden" on Facebook for updates. Theoden is a local journalist and a clearinghouse for local running information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To all those who PM'd me Monday to see/know I was running Boston and was safe, THANK YOU. A very unexpected thought from all that did , my Slowtwitch/Tri family! Enough people have spoken here on what happened and their thoughts and I mine are very similiar. I was very very fortunate enough to be that close and yet high tail it to the airport quickly after knowing I would be safer there, through security just in case. A crazy day for sure. Again THANK YOU
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Khyron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khyron wrote:
Has this been posted? Looters (some with race bags) stealing 100$ marathon jackets?

There's already 5 2013 finishers medal auctions, with prices from $120 - $320 with multiple bids on ebay.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
Khyron wrote:

There's already 5 2013 finishers medal auctions, with prices from $120 - $320 with multiple bids on ebay.

John
I would gladly give mine to a victim for free if it helped. It's just a medal. It's not a limb or something truly important in the grand scheme of things. Like someone's kid.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
gttri15 wrote:
For those interested, interesting idea:https://www.facebook.com/...135315380603?fref=ts[/ur]
(copied from the FB, in case people are unable to read it if they don't belong to FB)

Run For Boston 4/17
On Wednesday, April 17th, runners, non-runners, and people who believe in hope and peace will run together as a sign of solidarity for the people and runners of Boston.

The idea is simple. Anytime on Wednesday, April 17th:
1) Gather your friends
2) Pick a place
3) Wear blue or yellow
4) Take a picture with a "Run for Boston" sign and post here

Join in this simple gesture to show Boston that we are all standing with them.

Who else is organizing one of these? The idea seems to be picking up steam around the world (judging from their FB page). We will "Run For Boston" today at the Boise High track between noon and 1 for any Boiseans out there. Wear your Boston gear or blue and yellow.

Last edited by: j-hud: Apr 17, 13 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are organizing one in Cohasset, MA. I ran on Monday and just can't shake the funk off of what happened.

Hoping being surrounded by some other runners will be a good outlet.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday, I was so sad and depressed. I couldn't even run nor did I want to talk to anyone, but this message along with Dan Empfield and Andrew Messick's messages inspired me today. Today, I laced up and ran this morning around my neighborhood wearing my Boston shirt and hat:

I feel so much better. I was also sad yesterday, because I learned that my local running hero (95 years old) passed away last Friday, so both the Boston tragedy and this news had me deeply depressed. Along with running this morning, I dropped a condolence card off at my hero's house. Having something to do today has lifted my spirits.

Thank you ST for inspiring me to lace up today and move. I also wore my nice Boston shirt to work in the hope of inspiring others to run and to encourage others to not avoid the races or finish lines.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j-hud wrote:
Quote:
gttri15 wrote:
For those interested, interesting idea:https://www.facebook.com/...135315380603?fref=ts[/ur]
(copied from the FB, in case people are unable to read it if they don't belong to FB)

Run For Boston 4/17
On Wednesday, April 17th, runners, non-runners, and people who believe in hope and peace will run together as a sign of solidarity for the people and runners of Boston.

The idea is simple. Anytime on Wednesday, April 17th:
1) Gather your friends
2) Pick a place
3) Wear blue or yellow
4) Take a picture with a "Run for Boston" sign and post here

Join in this simple gesture to show Boston that we are all standing with them.

Who else is organizing one of these? The idea seems to be picking up steam around the world (judging from their FB page). We will "Run For Boston" today at the Boise High track for any Boiseans out there. Wear your Boston gear or blue and yellow.

NYC - Apple Store at 59th street and 5th ave 6:00 PM. Team RWB but anyone can join in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j-hud wrote:

Who else is organizing one of these?

Run Your Heart for Boston
Charlotte, North Carolina
Sunday, April 28, 7:00am
https://www.facebook.com/..._t=plan_user_invited
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the Vancouver, BC area this evening there is a group doing the BCMC trail (close to the Grouse Grind). There's a page for it on Facebook.
Quote Reply

Prev Next