Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
Hello everyone
I had an entry to London for this coming Sunday. I had cancelled it because I hadn't been able to train properly, but after seeing the news from Boston I called the London Marathon organisers and they have kindly allowed me to uncancel (or whatever the right word is) my entry. This is so that I can run on Sunday and try to get some sponsorship to raise money to help out the victims and their families - there are a lot of people who are going to need long-term rehabilitation, alterations to their homes and probably long-term care. All of that costs a lot of money and the only thing I can really do to help from this side of the pond is extract money from friends and family and send it over. The only problem is that I haven't yet found a suitable fund to identify, probably because it's only 24 hours after the event. Time is short though and something like that is likely to get less coverage in the UK than in the USA, and there is the added problem of fake sites that are being reported (!). I would hope that a genuine victim support fund will appear in the next day or so - if anyone here is involved with one or can point me to one that we can be sure is real I'd be very grateful for a pointer either here or by PM.

Thanks

Rob

That, my man, is an awesome gesture. Best of luck with the race.

From a Londoner transplanted to Boston.

Dennis
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
I want to express my sincere thoughts and prayers for all of those affected by yesterday's cowardly act. My wife, niece and I were far enough away from the finish area to be clear of any danger. We are grateful.

I also want to say that despite my bad race, I did qualify for next year's Boston Marathon. And now, nothing will keep me from going back there and saying FU to the bad guys.

I'm with you on this. I imagine that some will not return, and no one will fault them. The rest will pursue the most effective and oppositional form of revenge, which is living well.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am planning on going back to Boston 2014 to show my support
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd really appreciate it if anyone found and posted a LEGITIMATE link to a Boston Marathon Explosion Relief Fund. Google has nothing, even though a New England Patriots player has agreed to donate proceeds to such a fund.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was not planning on going back again next year before I woke up this morning and realized how much I want to go back and support that great race and the great communities we run through. Still in shock and sickened thinking I was eating post race near the finish 45 minutes before it happened. Thankfully I was at the airport when it i heard about it.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Boston Marathon finish line [aTomic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
such a sad sad day...
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
I guess most people on ST can relate to our loved ones out supporting us and how horrible it would be for something like this to happen to them.

Last night, D'Wife said "I don't think I'll be going to your races anymore, or for a while. Not like we'll be missed ... You never wave to us anyway"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those interested, interesting idea: https://www.facebook.com/...135315380603?fref=ts
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [gttri15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Run for Boston" - love it. Thanks for posting that.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem, share it with your friends.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [gttri15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gttri15 wrote:
For those interested, interesting idea:https://www.facebook.com/...135315380603?fref=ts[/ur]

(copied from the FB, in case people are unable to read it if they don't belong to FB)

Run For Boston 4/17
On Wednesday, April 17th, runners, non-runners, and people who believe in hope and peace will run together as a sign of solidarity for the people and runners of Boston.

The idea is simple. Anytime on Wednesday, April 17th:
1) Gather your friends
2) Pick a place
3) Wear blue or yellow
4) Take a picture with a "Run for Boston" sign and post here

Join in this simple gesture to show Boston that we are all standing with them.

Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Apr 16, 13 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those without Facebook, pictures can be emailed to runforboston417@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
oh no.... 6yo sister lost a leg. freakin' 6.

veganerd wrote:
martin richard is the young boy who was killed he was there waiting to cheer his father to the finish. his mother and sister are also in the hospital in serious condition. i can only imagine what his family is going through now and my heart goes out to him.

Just got a text from the wife. The sister that lost her leg (And mom is in critical condition) was a competitive Irish dancer. She heard from a fellow teacher about it.

Every time I start to think I've got a handle on the way I feel about this, something else comes along to completely fill me with anger again.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't able to sleep last night and am having a hard time keeping it together today. This is just so horrible I can't quite wrap my brain around it.

A marathon. At the finish line where people are happy, cheering and celebrating.

I haven't reached anger but I'm sure it will come.

Thankfully no one I know was directly affected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work in Boston, live outside of the city, and ran yesterday.

I'm a wreck, actually considering walking downstairs to the employee counseling thing. I just can't shake how close this feels.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mad Jee wrote:
I work in Boston, live outside of the city, and ran yesterday.

I'm a wreck, actually considering walking downstairs to the employee counseling thing. I just can't shake how close this feels.

Below is a part of an e-mail I sent out to some friends yesterday :

I am completely devastated with the bombing at The Boston Marathon yesterday. In all the countless races I have done those were always my solace away from the “real world”. No worries, no concerns, away from cellphones, e-mails, etc where it is just *you* out on a race course alone with your thoughts, achieving whatever the goal was that was set. Now it is just one more thing that will no longer be innocent.

Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Apr 16, 13 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in NH and consider Boston my sports home. I'm loyal to the Red Sox and Patriots and have been for 30 years. Many of my college friends still live in that area.

I'm in the Seattle area now and people at work aren't even really talking about it. My running friends on Facebook are but no one here in the office gets it.

Go downstairs. It will only help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go speak to someone. Even if it only helps a little bit, it will be worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from an aid station volunteer,

#50 ::: jnh : April 16, 2013, 12:46 PM:

ICS is up and active for the Marathon at a regional or state level out of the state EOC in Framingham in all the 10 or so years I've been involved. I believe that the Federal EOC is also activated for the event, and one of the federal logistics support teams is based in Mass, and can activate on very short notice (everyone in that team holds a Class A Commercial Drivers License (including the receptionist).
The Marathon is a pre-declared Mass Casualty Incident, and there were already special medical protocols in place just for the normal level of ill and injured runners. This may have helped. What certainly helped was the vast number of trained medical responders, vetted and credentialed for the event, that were just around the corner. The finish line medical tents are run by Boston EMS. Boston EMS has large numbers of bicycle Paramedics working the race. Ambulances are pre-spotted at many of the medical tents, especially in the last third or so of the race. Course medical is run from a central offsite location and is coordinated between MEMA (Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency), the Red Cross, the ambulance companies, race management, and other players. There is a Ham radio net with full net control providing communications from every medical tent and walking Red Cross team to coordinate response.
Special Boston or State police teams are already in place (there are a couple of black vans that drive just in front of the leaders of at least two of the waves of runners (women's elite and men's elite)) loaded with special ops folk with the rear van doors open, and at least the last row of seating facing backwards -- the same as in previous years.
The course is lined with Police and National Guard for crowd control and incident response.
Normally, the Marathon is considered to be a massive live drill with real world problems popping up. I wish it had stayed that way.

I had no idea special ops was already taking guard positions on the race..
Remember the way the terrorists win is to make us fearful. don't stop running..
Last edited by: doug in co: Apr 16, 13 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Printer86 wrote:
I want to express my sincere thoughts and prayers for all of those affected by yesterday's cowardly act. My wife, niece and I were far enough away from the finish area to be clear of any danger. We are grateful.

I also want to say that despite my bad race, I did qualify for next year's Boston Marathon. And now, nothing will keep me from going back there and saying FU to the bad guys.

I'm with you on this. I imagine that some will not return, and no one will fault them. The rest will pursue the most effective and oppositional form of revenge, which is living well.

+1

That's the best way to show the person(s) that they cannot instill fear into our lives. By doing exactly what the terrorist wants to disrupt, they cannot alter our way of life. We will continue to do what we love and show the terrorist they cannot win and we will persevere, no matter what.

Micha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go talk to someone bro, was in NY during 9/11 it helped even to just vent.

Was in Boston yesterday celebrating the marathon, made for a sad day
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
gttri15 wrote:
For those interested, interesting idea:https://www.facebook.com/...135315380603?fref=ts[/ur]

(copied from the FB, in case people are unable to read it if they don't belong to FB)

Run For Boston 4/17
On Wednesday, April 17th, runners, non-runners, and people who believe in hope and peace will run together as a sign of solidarity for the people and runners of Boston.

The idea is simple. Anytime on Wednesday, April 17th:
1) Gather your friends
2) Pick a place
3) Wear blue or yellow
4) Take a picture with a "Run for Boston" sign and post here

Join in this simple gesture to show Boston that we are all standing with them.
I will be doing this and wearing my 2013 finishers shirt. The number of people walking around Boston today with their marathon shirts and jackets is impressive, and a giant middle finger to the sick and cowardly bastards that are responsible for this tragedy.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Medieval Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://bostonmarathonconspiracy.com/

Not what you think. Pure awesomeness.

Quote:
I BOUGHT THIS DOMAIN TO KEEP SOME
CONSPIRACY THEORY KOOK FROM OWNING IT.
PLEASE KEEP THE VICTIMS OF THIS EVENT
AND THEIR FAMILIES IN YOUR THOUGHTS.

THANK YOU.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any legitimate charities that are worthwhile to donate to that will help with the relief? I know that there will be loads of scams coming out, but am wondering who could actually use help.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [mtbke15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtbke15 wrote:
burnman wrote:
Printer86 wrote:

+1

That's the best way to show the person(s) that they cannot instill fear into our lives. By doing exactly what the terrorist wants to disrupt, they cannot alter our way of life. We will continue to do what we love and show the terrorist they cannot win and we will persevere, no matter what.

Micha

I have never wanted to run a marathon, but I think I might try to get a charity bib and run Boston to say FU to the coward(s) who did this
Quote Reply

Prev Next