Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sitting here getting ready to fly back into the States and I can't express how violated I feel by whoever did this to us. This is horrible. I don't even know where to start. How can someone do something like this?

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived 2 years in Boston while my wife was getting her masters at BU. She's an athletic trainer and was a volunteer at the medical tent in 2010. That year, I watched from right in front of Marathon sports...

She considered volunteering again this year now that we're in NY, but thankfully I guess her work schedule prevented it. We had many friends running or volunteering. All are safe. Dont know if any of our folks were spectating, as my old employer basically everyone took off for the Sox game then went down boyleston for drinks and to watch the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad day. My thoughts go out to all those affected.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived there too - for 13 years. And was one of the docs in the med tent my last 3 years in Boston
this breaks my heart
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I was going to stay away from commenting and remain silent, and in respect of all the victims and those directly effected but the post from Patton really struck a cord when he put it on FB earlier today.

As a relatively new father I dont have the words in regards to the 8 year old..

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
News now saying the fbi searched a boston apartment in connection with the bombing but no suspacts named yet.

http://m.kare11.com/...a=1021737&f=1251

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martin richard is the young boy who was killed he was there waiting to cheer his father to the finish. his mother and sister are also in the hospital in serious condition. i can only imagine what his family is going through now and my heart goes out to him.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have time to read all of the posts on here, so sorry if any of this is redundant... but for what it's worth all of the BlackDuck Racing athletes who ran Boston are OK.

We had four team-members running, three finished about an hour before the incidents and one had to abandoned at mile 8 for back spasms. We were all at our pre-planned meeting place and were talking about our runs when we heard the explosions. We were far enough away to not "feel" anything. We decided to stay together and calmly leave the area. It took us over two hours to travel (drive) to where we are staying exactly 8 miles away.

We are leaving Boston this morning, heading out to Pennsylvania. If we can help anyone, please PM or email me.

Our thoughts are with all of those hurt and effected by this attack. I know for sure, we are ALL ready to come back "home" to Boston next year.

-Eric
---
"The Fit Shall Inherit the Earth" -Endurance Conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine coached him on his son's soccer team, also coached the sister and knows the family well. He said he did not sleep at all last night.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad day in MA today.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
ryanmalf wrote:
To everyone --hug your loved ones a little longer tonight as we truly do not know what tomorrow will bring.

Your whole post--well said.

But to add to this quote here ^ : Do it every single night, because we never truly know what tomorrow will bring ...

My daughter gave ME a big hug and said "Dad, I'm glad you run, but right now I'm more glad that you don't do marathons"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I was there to watch renorider race, and he and all of his support crew are OK.

Thanks for updating Ed. We were in a cab on the way to the bar; heard it loud and clear with windows up from about a mile away.

Heart and soul go out to everyone affected.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love going for a run.

While not nearly as fleet of foot as I used to be, there are few things that allow me to free myself quite like a little jog. 15 pounds ago, I ran Boston. It had been a goal since my first race at age 10.

On that Nor’easter day in 07, had one of the best runs of my life. Took her out slowly like you're supposed to, made easy work of the Hills, and basically floated into town. Now, I’m not a “crowd high-fiver” kind of race runner... but that day couldn’t help myself. Probably slapped hands with every Sully and Murph lining the road. Best high-five was with my wife, who had finagled herself close to the finish.

The same place one of the bombs went off.

The good people of earth have no bigger fan than me. But, man, I am getting sick and tired of the assholes in this world.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
randymar wrote:
Xatefrogg wrote:

Good news story

http://www.heraldnet.com/...from-blast-in-Boston

thanks for posting this, the way he went down I was afraid he had caught some shrapnel. It was the first image I saw of the bombing. My heart goes out to all those affected.

Someone posted the following on another forum; you kinda gotta chuckle at the end:

"Girl on the left is handling that Glock really well. Perfect muzzle and trigger discipline under very stressful conditions. This is how you pray that LE people will react when there's no time to think and seconds count. Big macho dude in the center is handling that radio really well Dude on the right is discovering the downside of a holster designed with weapon retention as the paramount feature. "

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an awful way to end a beautiful day. My wife (Shanley) was gathering her things after the finish when the first explosion happened...she looked up and saw smoke. Then the 2nd bomb went off. I was in the family waiting area with my 2 kids...right where the athlete's come out at the end of the chute looking for her. It was very loud...but we didn't know what happened. After the 2nd explosion I started thinking the worst and things started getting a bit chaotic...but of course my cell phone died 15' before hand. Thank GOD my kids didn't see anything. A friend was stopped a half a mile or so from the finish very soon after it happened. It was all very surreal.

The response by Boston's Police/Fire/Rescue services was amazing. My heart goes out to all the families/friends who have been effected by this horrible and senseless act.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to express my sincere thoughts and prayers for all of those affected by yesterday's cowardly act. My wife, niece and I were far enough away from the finish area to be clear of any danger. We are grateful.

I also want to say that despite my bad race, I did qualify for next year's Boston Marathon. And now, nothing will keep me from going back there and saying FU to the bad guys.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
I want to express my sincere thoughts and prayers for all of those affected by yesterday's cowardly act. My wife, niece and I were far enough away from the finish area to be clear of any danger. We are grateful.

I also want to say that despite my bad race, I did qualify for next year's Boston Marathon. And now, nothing will keep me from going back there and saying FU to the bad guys.

x2

Although I haven't qualified for Boston, I'll proudly be on the NYC marathon starting line in Nov.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone
I had an entry to London for this coming Sunday. I had cancelled it because I hadn't been able to train properly, but after seeing the news from Boston I called the London Marathon organisers and they have kindly allowed me to uncancel (or whatever the right word is) my entry. This is so that I can run on Sunday and try to get some sponsorship to raise money to help out the victims and their families - there are a lot of people who are going to need long-term rehabilitation, alterations to their homes and probably long-term care. All of that costs a lot of money and the only thing I can really do to help from this side of the pond is extract money from friends and family and send it over. The only problem is that I haven't yet found a suitable fund to identify, probably because it's only 24 hours after the event. Time is short though and something like that is likely to get less coverage in the UK than in the USA, and there is the added problem of fake sites that are being reported (!). I would hope that a genuine victim support fund will appear in the next day or so - if anyone here is involved with one or can point me to one that we can be sure is real I'd be very grateful for a pointer either here or by PM.

Thanks

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without being too melodramatic, fuck the person(s) responsible for this. My wife and I (and kids) literally lived above the 2nd bomb site for years (we just moved). This was and still feels like home to us. We watched the past five marathons from the starbucks below our home, and I still cant imagine this utterly senseless evil happening to innocent people. My heart goes out to those affected.

Boston is strong and the people are resilient. Sorry for the venting.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The only problem is that I haven't yet found a suitable fund to identify, probably because it's only 24 hours after the event. Time is short though and something like that is likely to get less coverage in the UK than in the USA, and there is the added problem of fake sites that are being reported (!). I would hope that a genuine victim support fund will appear in the next day or so - if anyone here is involved with one or can point me to one that we can be sure is real I'd be very grateful for a pointer either here or by PM.

This - we are already working on a fundraiser at my office (about 600 employees). We generally have a pretty strict dress code, even on casual Friday. No denim and no running shoes/sneakers, but we are seeking permission from our CEO to sell tickets for $5 that would allow our employees to wear running shoes one Friday with proceeds going to benefit a worthy cause. Please, PLEASE post if you guys see anything.

Maybe even another thread we can get stickeyed so it doesn't get lost in the clutter.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
Hello everyone
I had an entry to London for this coming Sunday. I had cancelled it because I hadn't been able to train properly, but after seeing the news from Boston I called the London Marathon organisers and they have kindly allowed me to uncancel (or whatever the right word is) my entry. This is so that I can run on Sunday and try to get some sponsorship to raise money to help out the victims and their families - there are a lot of people who are going to need long-term rehabilitation, alterations to their homes and probably long-term care. All of that costs a lot of money and the only thing I can really do to help from this side of the pond is extract money from friends and family and send it over. The only problem is that I haven't yet found a suitable fund to identify, probably because it's only 24 hours after the event. Time is short though and something like that is likely to get less coverage in the UK than in the USA, and there is the added problem of fake sites that are being reported (!). I would hope that a genuine victim support fund will appear in the next day or so - if anyone here is involved with one or can point me to one that we can be sure is real I'd be very grateful for a pointer either here or by PM.

Thanks

Rob

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh no.... 6yo sister lost a leg. freakin' 6.

veganerd wrote:
martin richard is the young boy who was killed he was there waiting to cheer his father to the finish. his mother and sister are also in the hospital in serious condition. i can only imagine what his family is going through now and my heart goes out to him.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
there are a lot of people who are going to need long-term rehabilitation, alterations to their homes and probably long-term care.

I'm sure there are some who will return to the sport and will train with prosthesis or whatever they need as soon as they possible, as a gigantic "Fuck You!!!" to the people responsible

To that end, might I suggest ...

http://www.achillesinternational.org/

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
oh no.... 6yo sister lost a leg. freakin' 6.

veganerd wrote:

Heard this today from the other side of the globe. From what I've heard about the devices I guess those lower to the ground stood less chance. Poor young boy. Reports were that he'd just hugged his dad who'd finished but that could be untrue given it sounds like a finisher's chute may make that impossible. That dad must be going through hell. His whole family out supporting him, cheering for him and they bore the full brunt of it.

I guess most people on ST can relate to our loved ones out supporting us and how horrible it would be for something like this to happen to them. He wasn't much older than my son. I thought about this on the ride home having worked late. Made sure I gave both a kiss in bed as they slept.

Thoughts are with everyone who has been affected in any way by these events. I wish you well.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anything else beside thought and prayers that we can give these people? I would like to help in some way if possible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next