Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OAR [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So somehow this crazy person got a key position in the Russian "anti" doping organisation. Then he somehow single handed contaminated the A and B steals by almost cracking the anti-doping security bottles. He builds a pile of evidence to do what? To forever loose his family and have to live in fear for the res of his live?

I'm curious about your psychological assessment, please enumerate cultural cues we've all failed to pick up.
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:
So somehow this crazy person got a key position in the Russian "anti" doping organisation. Then he somehow single handed contaminated the A and B steals by almost cracking the anti-doping security bottles. He builds a pile of evidence to do what? To forever loose his family and have to live in fear for the res of his live?

I'm curious about your psychological assessment, please enumerate cultural cues we've all failed to pick up.

And I'm sure RT (Russia Television), is reporting this stuff in a balanced way.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OAR. It stands for Olympic Athlete from Russia. Why isn't it OAFR?
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
if I have a Russian passport but am, say, on a scholarship in t the USA and do all my training, competing, and testing there, why should i be considered dirtier than any other us-based athlete?

fine. but then don't reward russia for that. they're WORLD athletes. there are two options that could possibly satisfy my sense of right in this. one: ban them all. two: allow the undeniably clean, but call them athletes of the world or some such thing.

the IOC and NBC chose neither.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As other people said I'm interested in your cultural cues.

As someone from the USSR do you believe there was an organized state doping program? Do you think other countries have organized state doping programs? I'm really curious as I try to look at all sides of the argument and interested in all perspectives. From what I have seen the proof is there after multiple investigations. As an American, we were raised to never trust anything Russian government related (I'm sure you were raised the same). I think that has subsided quite a bit, but seems to be reigniting with Putin in office.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this letting russia basically get a pass for the most blatant, systematic state sponsored doping, perhaps exceeding even east german doping of the 1980s, has lessened my interest in the 2018 games. if i was korea i'd be pretty pissed at this. as a non-russian, anybody-but-a-russian, i'm pissed at this.

But Russia has a lot of money so the IOC's hands are tied...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love for them to be competing as the "Cheating Russian Bastards" team. That way, we are reminded that while the athlete may not have been caught cheating, their country's Olympic committee was.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know - what's the consistent test you could apply for that? there have been a while whole lot of dirty American track and field athletes over the years - should we consider Shaun white to be a member of the 'cheating American bastards' team?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
I don't know - what's the consistent test you could apply for that? there have been a while whole lot of dirty American track and field athletes over the years - should we consider Shaun white to be a member of the 'cheating American bastards' team?

I would apply the "did your federation design a building with specific design features to carry out a doping scheme" test.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't USATF that created the american system, it was Nike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol,

I think he’s just trolling a bit.

Clearly he should be able to differentiate between individual action, systemic intervention.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope that's the case, but I have my doubts. There are many comments on this thread from others that show people are not able to differentiate between accute and systemic cheating.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware of what the deal with OAR was... I just wondered why Russia was competing with the Olympic flag... I think I sort of get it from reading between the lines here.

It is messed up but I think sports are just dirty in general... I tend to be a skeptic for anything sports related today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mOAR triggerd over some chicks from Houston being allowed to compete as Nigerians!

Hell, half the Canukistani womens hockey team all go to school and play for USA teams!?

To my mind if you want to be a Nigerian sledder that's totally cool--go live in Nigeria

If you want to be a Canuck hockey chick--cool; go do so in Canada

even worser in the summer games when everyone is on the Oregon Track team but competes for different countries. Total BS

Now get off my lawn!

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
fine. but then don't reward russia for that. they're WORLD athletes. there are two options that could possibly satisfy my sense of right in this. one: ban them all. two: allow the undeniably clean, but call them athletes of the world or some such thing.

the IOC and NBC chose neither.

Again, as I'm sure you're aware, there's already a designation for this, the Independent Olympic Athletes.

Furthermore, there's precendent for this designation being used for athletes from countries who cannot, or will not, get their federation in order prior to a Games, namely India in 2014.

The fact that the IOC created an entirely new and dedicated team for the OARs and then populated it with basically everyone Russian that wanted to be there just goes to show how little respect the IOC had for their own sanctions.

Two words, come to mind: lip-service.
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
mOAR triggerd over some chicks from Houston being allowed to compete as Nigerians!

Hell, half the Canukistani womens hockey team all go to school and play for USA teams!?

To my mind if you want to be a Nigerian sledder that's totally cool--go live in Nigeria

even worser in the summer games when everyone is on the Oregon Track team but competes for different countries. Total BS

Now get off my lawn!

but Steve you've got the best lawn around (in the world?) [if you know what I'm saying]

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find the term “Canukistani” offensive and pathetic. I wonder if you realize that Canadians have fought wars with the U.S. since WWI? My grandfather served in the Canadian Army during WWII.

I also think saying that the Nigerian Bobsled team must compete under the American Flag or else move back to Nigeria is flawed thinking at best.

The Olympics are supposed to be about bringing people together. You clearly don’t understand that among many other things you don’t get.

Steve Hawley wrote:

Now get off my lawn!
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh really. Why i had no idea of Canada's military history. No idea at all! Very surprising.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that perhaps we should end the nationalistic part of the Olympics and just celebrate great athletes. The "medal count" has always seemed silly to me (sorry, Norway, you guys are all kinds of awesome)
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those attacking Vikings are all over it

and it's getting to the point if someone in orange and blue speed skating kit comes to the line im saying just give them the medal. After all they skate to work on those canals so it's totally normal

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having knowledge versus having respect and class are mutually exclusive.

Steve Hawley wrote:
oh really. Why i had no idea of Canada's military history. No idea at all! Very surprising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha ;-0

i will be sure to consult with you on how to comport myself in the future

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember the dieselgate? No other company complained because they're all basically doing the same. The moment one cheats the rest will know because they're spying on them, and short afterwards they'll complain or cheat accordingly.

Well with the Olympics is basically the same but worse because on top of everything it's mainly politics.

As a Spaniard I know we cheated in (at least) Barcelona'92 with governamental funding. I'm not ok with that. And I'm pretty sure other countries do the same on a regular basis, and I'm no ok with that either. So let's bring down Russia, fine, but maybe demand also some action at home. Because if not it seems we're not been fair.

However IMHO the Olympics is the worst place to take action against dopers because first and most important the Olympics is a political event. Please bear in mind that its corruption (doping is also a form of corruption) starts even before the city has been designated!!!

My only advice would be: ignore the Olympics. Do not talk about it, do not support it, do not bother with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I find the term “Canukistani” offensive and pathetic. I wonder if you realize that Canadians have fought wars with the U.S. since WWI? My grandfather served in the Canadian Army during WWII.

I also think saying that the Nigerian Bobsled team must compete under the American Flag or else move back to Nigeria is flawed thinking at best.

The Olympics are supposed to be about bringing people together. You clearly don’t understand that among many other things you don’t get.

Steve Hawley wrote:

Now get off my lawn!

I agree it's BS that countries import people to better chance their wins. For instance, pairs figure skating "Germany" won gold but thanks to a Ukrainian and Frenchman.
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you move and become a naturalized citizen of a foreign country then you have every right to compete for said country. It’s almost always a permanent life changing relocation.

synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Steve Hawley wrote:

Now get off my lawn!

I agree it's BS that countries import people to better chance their wins. For instance, pairs figure skating "Germany" won gold but thanks to a Ukrainian and Frenchman.
Quote Reply

Prev Next