Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutritionists: Question on intake of calories
Quote | Reply
I had an odd question hit me last night as I was in a not so common situation. I had not planned to do as much physical activity and it meant that when complete it was 9pm and I had to consume 1,800 calories to meet my daily goal. I had my typical dinner (well balanced meal with protein, veg and carbs) as well as a glass of chocolate milk. In the end I was still sitting roughly 700-800 calories under my daily limit.

So two things .... I didn't want to consume all those calories just before bed which is 10:30pm and secondly I wasn't sure if I should just stuff empty calories into my face (Ice Cream, Cake, Candy) just to meet that daily goal. There wasn't time to whip up any other food in a reasonable time and still hit the hay on time.

For all the dietitians or nutritionists out there lurking, I'd like to know which of these options are the least damaging to my body while in training mode. I've got no trouble cutting weight when the race season approaches so this is more a matter of how to deal with these situations the best possible way, outside of avoiding them altogether.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Nutritionists: Question on intake of calories [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to me that if it was an isolated incident you'd be fine; especially if you had a good amount of protein for recovery. Whether to do that as a habit; i'm not sure.

My wife who is a registered dietitian and a Ph.D canditate really like this person's work for sports nutrition.

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/nancy-clarks-sports-nutrition-guidebook-5th-edition

I'm sure you could probably get this on Amazon too. PM me your email and I send you some articles she sent me that were relevant to triathlon nutrition.

Sean

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had not planned to do as much physical activity and it meant that when complete it was 9pm and I had to consume 1,800 calories to meet my daily goal. I had my typical dinner (well balanced meal with protein, veg and carbs) as well as a glass of chocolate milk. In the end I was still sitting roughly 700-800 calories under my daily limit.

Why not just go by how you feel and if you aren't hungry, don't eat. Your body will tell you when you are hungry and need food a lot better than a calculator.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few things to consider

1. How accurate are your measures of Calories in vs. Calories out.
1a. If they are somewhat accurate than you cannot stress about being a little over or under

2. Lets assume they're 100% accurate (which they aren't).
a. As a one-off situation, its not big deal.
b. What are your upcoming workouts?
i. A typical day of low to moderate duration, low to moderate intensity? Don't sweat it.
ii. A high intensity or longer duration day: Try to get in additional carbohydrate calories in a reasonable fashion without trying to obtain the full difference if it is unreasonable.
c. What Macronutrients were you deficient in?
i. If you primarily consumed fat and protein throughout the day and you have a high-intensity workout, you ought to try to get some additional carbohydrate on board or your workout may be at lower workloads.
ii. If you primarily consumed carbohydrate and met that intake, I wouldn't stress about getting additional fat. I may try for a low-fat protein option if protein were low- e.g. a "protein shake".

Ultimately it is all about your goals for the immediate and long-term future. Those decide your actions.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Feb 2, 17 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Nutritionists: Question on intake of calories [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:

1a. If they are somewhat accurate than you cannot stress about being a little over or under

i. A typical day of low to moderate duration, low to moderate intensity? Don't sweat it.
ii. A high intensity or longer duration day: Try to get in additional carbohydrate calories in a reasonable fashion without trying to obtain the full difference if it is unreasonable.
i. If you primarily consumed fat and protein throughout the day and you have a high-intensity workout, you ought to try to get some additional carbohydrate on board or your workout may be at lower workloads.
ii. If you primarily consumed carbohydrate and met that intake, I wouldn't stress about getting additional fat. I may try for a low-fat protein option if protein were low- e.g. a "protein shake".

Ultimately it is all about your goals for the immediate and long-term future. Those decide your actions.

Excellent response. Thanks Robert!

I've been practicing more "eating for performance" in this January after listening to a couple of velowews podcast - one of which you were in! Thanks again for chiming in.

xtrpickels wrote:

This is the response I was after.

I have my RMR from a recent DEXA scan and my food tracking is pretty much 99% accurate based on the scale, the foods and the tracking I do. I noticed that I was right where I wanted to be going into the evening 50% Carbs, 20% Fat and 30% Protein so I was in a good place. The extra 120 minutes of work was all done fasted so I was depleting my carb/glycogen stores. Today is another day of high intensity so I was thinking I should just pile in some calories so my objectives don't get sabotaged. With that in mind I doubled my protein at dinner and added an extra 30g of rice. My idea was to keep my eye on recovery between sessions and skip the morning workout today and take in a bit more carbs leading into this evening.

It's not super RARE where it happens but it's also not daily or even weekly just something I wanted to have facts on vs opinions for future reference.

Thanks to all who weighed in (pun intended)

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Feb 2, 17 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try eating a larger breakfast or lunch...350 more breakfast and 350 more lunch and there is your 700 deficit and more fuel for the day.
Quote Reply