Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutritional Ketosis/Peter Attia
Quote | Reply
Has anyone adopted Peter Attia's (http://eatingacademy.com) strategy of intentional chronic ketosis through almost complete carbohydrate avoidance and had IMPROVED athletic/triathlon performance? I love me some carbs but I can understand the science he promotes. But I don't see much evidence that this has worked consistently for endurance athletes. For triathlons it seems like strict use of products like UCAN would be the way to do it, but most people in ST seem to use UCAN for relief of GI distress, not to induce a ketotic racing state.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutritional Ketosis/Peter Attia [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one?

OK. How about this....please critique: http://eatingacademy.com/...o-superstarch-part-i
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have...But I was overweight when I started...Ive lost over 100lbs and i maintain a modified diet that has carbs strategically around workouts.

Performance has improved, but obviously the weight loss was a reason. I think your question would be better directed toward someone who was at "race weight" when trying this approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of UCAN. I use it for ultra-running. I don't use it to stay / get into ketosis though. I do use supplemental gels @ the rate of about 1 gel per 90 minutes, primarily as you say, to avoid GI issues and also to keep my energy levels steady, avoiding the roller coaster of glucose spiking and dropping all day.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Jul 31, 14 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of friends who have tried this. One didn't necessarily reach ketosis, and I think he was trying to do this so his body "got better at burning fat" and then he'd carb up before a race and perform better. I don't know what he found though, so sorry on that front. I'm less sure about why the other friend tried this - I think it had something to do with changing how glucose is used to fuel the brain and the prevention of neurodegenerative disease.

The moral of this is that I have no idea if this works, but there are other people out there willing to try it. Sounds terrible though. No more pizza or french fries. Or beer. ugh

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asilverm1970 wrote:
Has anyone adopted Peter Attia's (http://eatingacademy.com) strategy of intentional chronic ketosis through almost complete carbohydrate avoidance and had IMPROVED athletic/triathlon performance? I love me some carbs but I can understand the science he promotes. But I don't see much evidence that this has worked consistently for endurance athletes. For triathlons it seems like strict use of products like UCAN would be the way to do it, but most people in ST seem to use UCAN for relief of GI distress, not to induce a ketotic racing state.

It's my understanding (from my admittedly very limited reading on the topic), that there isn't any improvement in athletic performance, but rather no loss in performance when modifying your diet in this way in order to gain the metabolic and physiological advantages minimal carbohydrate intake provides. In particular improved fat burning resulting in easier maintenance of body composition(especially in aging athletes) and stability of blood glucose and insulin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben Greenfield not only has done some good interviews with DR Peter Attia but has KQ'ed while in ketosis. He documented everthing, including blood tests/hormone samples before and after.

Some interesting stuff.

When I first started off in Triathlon I was on a ketotic diet, I averaged no more than 50g of Carbohydrate per day. It worked great doing the every other day weight training stuff, once I started into longer endurance stuff I gave it up. It was to hard to maintain, I ended up getting slower and feeling worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apart from anecdotal or biased self reporting I haven't seen any compelling reason why a person would put themselves in a state of ketosis for improvements in athletic performance.

Actually, beyond specific medical issues, I can't see why *anyone* would put themselves in a state of ketosis.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutritional Ketosis/Peter Attia [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tapeworm wrote:
Apart from anecdotal or biased self reporting I haven't seen any compelling reason why a person would put themselves in a state of ketosis for improvements in athletic performance.

Actually, beyond specific medical issues, I can't see why *anyone* would put themselves in a state of ketosis.

Because Ben Greenfield did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A key point to pull away from Attia, Ben and a lot of other ketosis endurance anecdotal evidence is that it takes year(s) to reach optimal efficiency in exercise ketosis. That's a lot of time and likely suffering to achieve that mystical all day energy supply. Maybe (maybe) its worth it for Ultra or Iron distances but IMO shorter events don't offer enough return on investment.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Losing significant weight and getting in shape (training) is what improved his performance- not the specifics of the diet.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutritional Ketosis/Peter Attia [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you to those who responded. Your thoughts reinforce my thoughts on the topic. I think Attia's approach is possibly a reasonable approach to HIM/IM nutrition for some athlete's but I am not convinced that it is superior to the more conventional approach for all athletes.
Quote Reply