Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition plan help
Quote | Reply
I have been training for 5 years for triathlons including Ironman's. I am in need of assistance with a reliable nutrition plan for the race. I can't seem to get the right amount of nutrition in to get me through my bike ride and would like to get help in accomplishing this goal of feeling better while on the bike and transitioning to run. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition plan help [ffmedck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What have you done and what are you currently doing?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an IM guy but I did recently do research for my 70.3. It's a pretty basic and easy guideline to follow

Body can only absorb and use 60-75g of carbs per hour for the average athlete. The body can only absorb between 750-900ml of fluids per hour. Keeping these parameters in mind you can create yourself a plan.

For my 70.3 I did the following:
1/2 Clif Bar before the swim
1/2 Clif Bar in my mouth before T1 exit
(I wanted solids in my digestive tract early to disperse energy slowly throughout the day)

3x500ml bottles on bike (or 2x750ml) Each 500ml was 36g carbs and the electrolyte blend that accompanies that in most sports drink (I used SiS Go)
3xGel packet on bike at 20g carbs each

4xGel+Skratch Labs concentrated hand flask for the run

This strategy got me at 56g of carbs per hour, I had solids in my gut to slowly digest and disperse energy in addition to the fast acting gels and energy drink mix. Looking back the only change I'd make is having a cookie in T2 if possible to get in some more solids to help towards the back half of the run. I ended up downing the coke offered at aid stations. I'm sure others can dissect this and showcase some flaws but like a lot of things in the sport, the strategy for you will be individual based on how your body behaves.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Sep 28, 16 8:52
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition plan help [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a larger breakfast before the start

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition plan help [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have finished 3 half Ironman and 3 Ironman's. I am training for Ironman Arizona right now. I have done multiple sprint and Olympic races with issues, of course, but when I get to the longer races, I have no energy on the run. So trying to still get dialed in on nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On here especially you will find a different protocol for every poster claiming their way is the best...I am no different. For me it was a lot of trial and error to find what works with my stomach at different speeds and distances with different weather and such. There are standard recommendations for calories per hour but again that's based on certain circumstances and will be different for your body. What is important is that you make an educated plan and test it again and again...then tweak it until you have something set, but you're on the right tracking seeking out advice.

For me I use Infinit Custom Mix dialed in to what I need. I take in just below 300 calories per hour for a HIM all from bottles of Infinit. I do keep some Powerblocks and Chia bars in my aero bag just in case, but rarely use those now. Personally I would not recommend taking in just water at any point during your race...at a minimum put some electrolytes in the water so you don't get diluted as your body is not losing just water but vital electrolytes that need to be replaced.

The reason I went with Infinit is b/c I could simplify the process by just taking 3 bottles with all my calories and dial in exactly what I need as far as protein, electrolytes and aminos. I don't have to pack a ton of bars or gels and it works for me. I don't represent them in any way it's just what works for me.

Again, you'll get a million different responses, but stick to the basics...figure out by trial and error how many calories you need to fuel you and how much liquid based on your sweat rate and tweak it from there.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition plan help [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I think that's my problem too. I was talking with some friends I bike with and found out that my calorie intake is well below what I should be taking in before the race and/or training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you doing for nutrition during those events?
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition plan help [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent a message to you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't overthink it much. Simply, 1 water bottle per hour on the bike... Gatorade or water, whatever I feel like drinking. If I ever feel cramps, I immediately drink as much water as I can (as much as a full bottle of I have to) and the cramps go away in about 20 minutes.

1 gel every 30 min.

I can get by on a gel every 45 min, but I feel better about every 30 min.

I eat a normal size breakfast of what I would normally eat a couple hours before the race.

While this seems simple, it did take me a season to figure it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't overthink it much. Simply, 1 water bottle per hour on the bike... Gatorade"

This suggestion from the previous poster is gold.

Drinking Gatorade takes care of your 3 needs all at once:

1. Hydration
2. Electrolytes
3. Calories

Extra benefit is that it is literally available at any gas station or grocery store you walk into. Also, served on course at most events.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition plan help [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip!

I typically have eaten my breakfast and digested it before the race starts. It takes 3-4h for food to make its way from the stomach to the digestive tract and I typically help this out by having liquid breakfast (smoothie) which takes roughly 2-2.5h. My goal then is to have a % of the calories going in as solids vs liquids to maintain my hydration levels. If I'm just piling calories into my stomach via liquids I will slowly dehydrate myself. This is due to the concentration being too high requiring the body to draw fluids from the blood stream into the stomach to dilute the concentration. Absorption will only take place once the fluids inside and outside the stomach lining are close to an equilibrium. Getting those calories and fluids into the bloodstream is the goal and just drinking a ton of calories won't do any good if they aren't able to be absorbed and/or are drawing fluid from the bloodstream. Staying hydrated is as important as staying fueled.

This is the main reason why I have the solids early as possible into the day so it is being broken down over the 3-4h period where I'll be racing. Trouble is most of the sports bars also digest quickly so getting the extra solid in T2 for the back half of the run is the plan next time. I also noticed half bananas on course which if I had been smart and taken on in the first aid station of the run would have also helped out.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So while making sure you are taking in the max amount of nutrition you're comfortable with is great, it's still only part of the puzzle. As other people have posted you can only absorb so much.
I spent probably 5 years trying to eat/drink more similar to you but I could never eat/drink enough.

Then I read this article:
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/06/nutrition/inside-triathlon-magazine-fat-burning-machine_31034

I used to drink gatorade and eat gels on all of my long rides/jogs.
Now I just drink water and I have found it very rare where I'm nutritionally depleted during races. I'm easily doing 4-5 hour efforts on water alone in training. Although on my last brick I should have taken some salt with it.

My race day routine is now normal breakfast, gel every 45 minutes and salt/water as needed. I do find that my ability to burn fat as fuel goes up and down. So every season I have to train it back up to the distances I'm racing.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Infinit with good success. It worked well for me. The Go Far formula has protein in it and that seems to help quite a bit.

Only problem with doing Infinit is that you won't find it on the course at aid stations. You will have to have a plan to carry it with you the entire race. But for a 5 hours bike you'd only need 5 bottles. 2/3 on the bike and 2/3 premeasured bags. Then a concentrate on the run.

I did one bottle every hour including the swim. (4 mile swim took me 3 hours, kinda slow)

Only solid food I had all day was a banana at T1.

I dialed the taste way back from gatorade had some flavor but not a whole lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition plan help [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for replying to my post!! I have a long ride and run tomorrow and will use your guys advice. I am hopinng for a better ride than last time!!!
Quote Reply