Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Numbness in feet when training
Quote | Reply
Hey all -

Wondering if this is a common/easy issue to fix.

Any time I get going on the trainer bike for longer than about 10 minutes (if I'm 'pushing it') or if I run beyond about 15 minutes I start to get some spotty numbness in my feet. Mainly on some of my toe pads and occasionally in the ball of my foot near my big toe. Happens on both feet. Anyone else?

M
Quote Reply
Re: Numbness in feet when training [m_hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't help you with running shoes but I'm sure that trying different shoes are worth a shot.
For cycling, it's fairly common but you are getting it very fast.

You should consider wider cycling shoes, moving the cleats further back on the shoes, maybe different pedals if that doesn't help... insoles or arch supports and maybe don't tighten the shoes more than you have to.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't help you with the running part either. But I did get numbness in my toes riding. In my situation it was a combo of getting better fitting shoes that handled my wide/flat feet, a little bit of cleat position (but not much, more for my knees) and the right saddle. Once I got all those figured out no more numbness. Running ISM/Adamo saddles currently and it's what works for me.

But, I find it harder to ride long periods on my fluid trainer because it is fixed in place. Rollers I can handle a bit longer but I don't stand up on those to get those minor "breaks" on the sit bones like real outdoor riding forces you to (stops, intersections, standing efforts etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wider and/or bigger volume shoes both running and cycling.
Maybe play with the laces on your running shoes skipping a lacing hole if you feel tightness/pressure over a particular spot.

If you post what running shoes you're currently in I may be able to give you shoes that have wider toe boxes. Going to a 2E is another possibility

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everyone else said. Had this for years actually till I switched shoes, now almost never happens!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply