Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon
Quote | Reply
So I'm standing around a campfire 12 o'clock Eastern time and everyone else has going to sleep. Let's talk about what we think of pros doping in triathlon. How many of the big-name people do you think are cheating?
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tread lightly please. Speculation on percentages seems fine. Please no speculation on individual names.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somehow I knew that would come with a warning. And I don't mean that to be a jerk just knew the question would raise some eyebrows but let's be honest we all know it's happening.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Apr 29, 17 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Tread lightly please. Speculation on percentages seems fine. Please no speculation on individual names.

Names or not, TRS Radio has been doping for months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is "42"
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwiftRunner wrote:

Names or not, TRS Radio has been doping for months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As many as in any other professional endurance sports.

Occam's Razor.

Fishbum wrote:
So I'm standing around a campfire 12 o'clock Eastern time and everyone else has going to sleep. Let's talk about what we think of pros doping in triathlon. How many of the big-name people do you think are cheating?
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 30, 17 0:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are you sitting down?

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

The number is not zero and probably less than the cycling number.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
The answer is "42"

Beat me to it.
I'll say eleventy procent. Of all podiums
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

I believe that long course pro triathlon is relatively clean. My experience climbing the ranks has led me to believe this. Ultimately, I can only relate this back to my own experience as a clean athlete. Yes, the "big-name people" are undoubtly faster than me. But they're not so much faster that I'm left scratching my head, wondering how it's possible. It's not hard to imagine how the gap between us could be accounted for by better training, genetics, drive, skills, nutrition, etc. and not by drugs. There have only been a handful of athletes and instances over my few years as a pro that I consider major red flags for doping.

I also need to believe that long course pro triathlon is relatively clean. This work would simply be too crushing if I believed that every other pro had an unfair advantage...

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably much less than pro cycling. Pro cycling has teams, which puts you in close proximity with other athletes 24/7 and can lead to a culture of doping and group-think that it's ok because everybody around you is doing it. And also you're like fish in a barrel for team docs that will give it to you.

Pro triathlon has much fewer teams and far more lone-wolves that just love to train, train alone, and don't get sucked into the bad ideas of those around them.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's also a ton of money in pro cycling, relatively speaking. Triathlon, not so much. EPO is expensive, and EPO that's being obtained without a prescription is even MORE expensive.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but the relative lack of money in the sport keeps it at bay, I think.

Honestly, I believe doping in the amateur ranks FAR exceeds the percentages that you see in the pro ranks. After all, when you get a bunch of 45+ dudes buying Cervelo P5x/insert name of $10k+ superbike here, then you have the money. Plus, access to low-T clinics, etc....

Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THIS ^^^^^^^
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

I believe that long course pro triathlon is relatively clean. My experience climbing the ranks has led me to believe this. Ultimately, I can only relate this back to my own experience as a clean athlete. Yes, the "big-name people" are undoubtly faster than me. But they're not so much faster that I'm left scratching my head, wondering how it's possible. It's not hard to imagine how the gap between us could be accounted for by better training, genetics, drive, skills, nutrition, etc. and not by drugs. There have only been a handful of athletes and instances over my few years as a pro that I consider major red flags for doping.

I also need to believe that long course pro triathlon is relatively clean. This work would simply be too crushing if I believed that every other pro had an unfair advantage...

I would say you are generally correct, but if hobbyist body builders dope just to look good, then you can be assured that some of your peers are. They may be less genetically gifted, so the dope puts them at your level of slightly ahead. The same happens in age group racing, so it's not a huge stretch for it to happen in the pro ranks. On the flip side, a cyclist can dope and have a protour contract and be a water bottle donkey which many might find being superior to tilling the soil on the farm, or working in an oil field in Khazakstan. A pro who dopes in long course tri still has to make a living through race winning and sponsor money, so he's not "directly" in or out of the protour team because of taking/not taking a blood bag and then being helpful or sucking for the last week of the Tour or Giro. If you're on the verge of getting cut from next year's squad, you can see how the water carrier donkeys would be tempted....and then suddenly they turn into stage winners and there is never any going back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mere speculation by me.

Younger age-groupers rarely dope. Some long-course pros probably dope. ITU pros are more likely to dope. 45-year old and older male age-groupers are the most likely to dope, and some of them definitely do dope.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a study done in 2014 asking participants at IM Frankfurt if they were doping. I know the study was done as I got the questionnaire at registration to fill in. 20% of participants admitted to physical doping. Considering that was just those that ticked a box on a questionnaire, I expect the figure was probably quite a bit higher.

http://taylorhooton.org/...n-ironman-triathlon/
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm always interested to hear people's thoughts on this subject. I have a friend who played a couple years in the NFL and his stories about doping in Collegiate football and especially at the NFL level always make me think about other Pro Sports. With that said I'm not criticizing these people as I am unable to comment on what I would do if my livelihood depended on winning as I'm not in that position. But when you start to see dominance in any sport by particular individuals it has to make you wonder. Especially after what we all witnessed in the Lance Armstrong days
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are we speaking of intentional or accidental dopers?
If you take in the ranks of the females this past year who's testing came up positive I would say it's pretty high.
But according to them they did not intentionally dope.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
If you take in the ranks of the females this past year who's testing came up positive I would say it's pretty high.

Almost pissed my self laughing!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there's money, fame or the chance to be the "best" at anything, there is cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:

Are we speaking of accidental dopers or "accidental" dopers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's funny about all of this is fan's reaction to these things.

NFL guy pops for doping....fan runs to calendar to see what 4 games will be affected, "ok we can get by, but we need him back for that key division game in 6 weeks"

Cyclist or track guy gets popped for doping.....he becomes the biggest asshole, scum of the earth.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What's funny about all of this is fan's reaction to these things.

NFL guy pops for doping....fan runs to calendar to see what 4 games will be affected, "ok we can get by, but we need him back for that key division game in 6 weeks"

Cyclist or track guy gets popped for doping.....he becomes the biggest asshole, scum of the earth.

I'm not saying that at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

I don't see the gulf as nearly that wide. Plenty of cyclists who got popped for doping have been welcomed back into the fold by a large percentage of fans. Valverde, Yates, Impey, Millar, Contador (I could go on..) Same with track.

There have been some cyclists/runners who haven't been welcomed back....but there are, arguably, more unique circumstances in those cases.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 30, 17 8:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next