I did the USRPT early in the practice. YARDS

4 x 150 WU as 125 swim, 25 kick

X x 75 @ 1:10, holding 1650y pace plus altitude fudge factor
1-16 ~ :47-:48high
Fail
1:10 break
17-22 ~ :47-48low

(Broken 1650 ~ 17:3x)

Goal was 22 x 75 holding :48-:49 since my best swim recently was in 2015, USMS Nationals 1650, 17:33 (1:03high pace)

200 CD as snorkel 25 kick-50 swim x 2 and 50 free
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 minute warm up.. (land based)

1hr26 in the endless pool - 5k (3.1 miles)
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [decadave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to the ocean! YAY! But still barely above 60. Wearing my T1 top gives me just enough insulation. Still coughing up some lung chunks, but being in the ocean seems to clear much of that out. 2400 yards in 37 minutes, including three swims through the crack - water was calm enough to do it safely.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
400 swim
8x50 as 25 kick on back/25 swim
2x250 pull
400 kick
2x250 pull
16x50 on :55

3000 sum

4.4mile hilly ROTS

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 pull, 200 kick warmup

8x25 butterfly drills

50's fly on 1:10, target < :37.00
1st fail @ 13 (rest an interval)
2nd fail @ 18 (rest an interval)
set failed @ 23

250 EZ cool down

2000 SCY

Making progress towards my goal of being able to "race" a 200 fly. Maybe one more set at this pace/interval, and I should be able to drop the interval to 1:05. Ultimate training goal this season is to be able to do 16 consecutive at < :36.00 on a 1:00 interval. That should yield a ~2:24 200 fly race time.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Nov 22, 17 19:04
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

8x25 butterfly drills

set failed @ 23

250 EZ cool down

2000 SCY

Making progress towards my goal of being able to "race" a 200 fly. Maybe one more set at this pace/interval, and I should be able to drop the interval to 1:05. Ultimate training goal this season is to be able to do 16 consecutive at < :36.00 on a 1:00 interval. That should yield a ~2:24 200 fly race time.

When I was a track runner, to get 800m times down, we would do sets that would build up from 100's, up to 400's down to 100's

Something like

2x100m
2x200m
2x400m
2x200m
2x100m

You got dialed at the shorter distance and then did a couple of intervals (the 400's) slightly slower than target race pace, but had to hold the form, and then you'd do the final 200's and 100's a bit faster than race pace....basically the idea there was to wind into race pace, and then have a few longer ones holding close to the pace and then the last bunch which were shorter we did at faster than target race speed with the idea of practice negative splitting in practice to do it in racing.

You could apply the same approach given that a 200m swim race is generally like a 800m track race (OK, your 200m fly is more like a 1000m track race, but still).

My workout today had main set 5x200m modified IM (50 fly-25 back-25 breast-100 free). During my warmup I also did 4x25m under water dolphin kick with fins, and super easy free back to the other side to recover, take 10 breaths rest and repeat. I have gotten to the point that doing it with fins is not a huge challenge in that it is not a question of making it to the other side, it is more about how fast and how relaxed. Also before I did the 4x25 underwater dolphin kick, I did 1x25 with no fins with a long rest before. That one was pretty funny because in the pool beside my lane there was a whole group of ladies doing aqua aerobics and I hit one point in the water half way along where the water got all turbulent on me and I felt that my core and legs where to gabbing still water and flicking it off my legs/feet....it felt like trying to dolphin kick through a washing machine all of a sudden....don't know what the ladies were doing, but they were creating some type of an eggbeater induced impulse response in the deep water!!!! Really weird sensation. In any case, I think I am making progress on my dolphin kick (and doing it safely well before any hard sets and with a lot of rest)....and maybe I like the challenge of kind of living on the edge along the lines of liking riding down a steep technical hill at 90 kph riding my top tube or skiing down a steep technical hill on the edge of losing control on blue ice where your skis suddenly feel like they will shoot out from under you when you hit the blue ice but you manage to stay on top. I just can't help it. If there were no cops, I would always drive 200 kph on highways. Its just how I am wired....but I won't do this stupidity in a 50m pool....deal!
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You could apply the same approach given that a 200m swim race is generally like a 800m track race (OK, your 200m fly is more like a 1000m track race, but still).

200y fly is like a 1000y road race ..... up a hill..... that gets steeper and steeper as you go.

The five stages of a 200 fly:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems like an excessive amount of fly, to me anyway. Even if you are making pace times, I have no idea how you are doing it with decent form. I've always though that Form > Volume for fly, once the form breaks down its time for a break.

gary p wrote:

8x25 butterfly drills

set failed @ 23

250 EZ cool down

2000 SCY

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was reading recently a good path for 50s is 10 on 1:00, with the ultimate goal of 10 on :50.
I actually like the long rest you gave yourself—it’s not usrpt, but I think that’s good because it was letting you accumulate lots of probably decent fly.
Another good set is 20x25 on a short rest interval. And by good, I mean terrible. :)
I’ve been on a break from 2 fly training to work on my free. You’re making me question that.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did some 50 fly work (25s FAST on long rest) the last couple winters, but decided to skip right past the 100 this season and work on the 200. I knew if I did by the bookÂť USRPT intervals, I would get no volume so I started with a 1:15 interval. I do this set once a week, the rest of my fly work is 25. I am trying to balance quality and volume, and trying to learn to hold form as best I can even when fatigued.

Last edited by: gary p: Nov 24, 17 4:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got inspired by you guys to do a sprint oriented workout....basically it was 50's of some kind all day....actually 25's with 25 recovery, 10 second rest and then repeat. The sprint sections were fly, underwater dolphin kick 25's with fins, free with 15 m under water dolphin sprint off each wall, and just regular free sprint. When you guys are sprinting 50 fly, are you breathing every 2nd or 3rd stroke? Or even more like 4?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I got inspired by you guys to do a sprint oriented workout....basically it was 50's of some kind all day....actually 25's with 25 recovery, 10 second rest and then repeat. The sprint sections were fly, underwater dolphin kick 25's with fins, free with 15 m under water dolphin sprint off each wall, and just regular free sprint. When you guys are sprinting 50 fly, are you breathing every 2nd or 3rd stroke? Or even more like 4?

If I'm doing a single sprint 25 or 50 fly, I breath every 3. Sprint 25 repeats on anything less than a minute's rest? Every 2. Repeats of any distance greater than 25? Every stroke.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 SCM this morning with a main set of:

40x50 on :50 as
1-16 every 4th fast
17-28 every 3rd fast
29-36 every 2nd fast
37-40 fast
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my birthday swim today, since pools where I am visiting we're closed on my birthday yesterday:

46 x 100scm @ 1:30
100 C-D "to grow on"

4700m in a 25m pool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

If I'm doing a single sprint 25 or 50 fly, I breath every 3. Sprint 25 repeats on anything less than a minute's rest? Every 2. Repeats of any distance greater than 25? Every stroke.

I actually tried a 25m sprint the other day "no breathing"....10m under water dolphin, 15m hammerfest. I can't post my lame time in real swimmer thread, but I am not sure I even broke 20 seconds, but could not lift up my head up fast enough to see the clock in time since I needed some air. It is probably no faster than breathing twice in the final 15 m. But fun playing around nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK....general question to this thread....how the heck do you sprint in back stroke...I have two gears....super easy and medium cruise. What is the ticket to move really fast.... Kick harder and faster and let the legs drive the arm cadence or increase cadence by moving arms faster....no matter what I do I end up at the same speed which is not fast at all! We won't even get I into the predicament of doing fast breast stroke. That is a lost cause for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got nothing for you on backstroke. Barely faster than my breastroke. Fast backstrokers amaze me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I got nothing for you on backstroke. Barely faster than my breastroke. Fast backstrokers amaze me.

My fastest 50 breast time is 2.8 seconds faster than my fastest 50 back. Backstroke is a big mystery to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday and nice Swim!

Did the Jan Frodeno set from the start but scy -
4x400@5:00, 4x300@3:45, 4x200@2:30, 4x100@1:15 (4000 in 50 mins!)

Then some random mix for 5000scy

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

During my 4200m swim my "main set" was only 5x100m as

five times 25m hard underwater dolphin-25m hard free-25m hard fly-25m easy-10 deep breaths rest

First 4 with fins, last one no fins. That was an awesome "main set". The rest of the swim was a mix of IM and random 50 sprints of fly or free. I tried 'sprinting' back stroke, but it feels like a lost cause....I think I need more hip rotation.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the swim I posted Monday was my only swim for last week. I spent Thanksgiving off the grid in the desert in Utah. I did runs of 7, 5, 6, 6.2, and 8.6 miles, and a bunch of rock climbing. The first and latter 3 runs were all with at least 1 dog :-)

This morning I ran 7.2 miles w/ 4.5 @ 8:20 pace and 1.7 @ 8:13 pace, then swam 400 yards. Felt good to be back in the pool.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Nov 27, 17 13:49
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nov 23 - Morning ocean swim of 2690 yards in 41 minutes. We concluded with an on the beach Thanksgiving potluck.

Nov 24 - Pod decided to swim at Woods Cove, so I decided to run to it, only 6.2 miles, but partly on a super steep singletrack trail. Took me 1:02 to get there. Swam 2670 yards in 39 minutes, almost swam straight into a reef, but it was so scenic, a beautiful cold water swim. Then I ran back, same route, over 1000 feet of climbing 1:10.

Nov 25 - A wonderful, longer ocean swim from Oak Street to Rockpile and back. Water is barely hitting 60 in the warm patches! 4100 yards in 59 minutes. I folowed that later in the day with a short 2.4 mile (365 feet of climbing) run in 18:18 - hitting a 6:18 pace in the last half-mile (downhill).

Nov 26 - Shaw's Cove in the morning - swam south to Main Beach Buoy and back. Water reported to be 58 degrees. 3530 yards in 54:30. Followed that with a run into the Laguna Wilderness - 6 miles in just over an hour & 1136 feet of climbing.

Nov 27 - Pool swim 2500 yards in about 45 minutes
500s 6:14
5x200 KWF all stroke (br twice)
10x50@1:00 alt br/fr - hard effort br - :41; fr - :31
5x100 @1:30 w/fins fr/bk/fl/fr/IM

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 did my birthday swim today, since pools where I am visiting we're closed on my birthday yesterday:

46 x 100scm @ 1:30
100 C-D "to grow on" //

Nice job. 46 was the last year I got to do my birthday set SCM on the 1;20. I did mine with paddles and buoy and usually have some friends in the lane ahead of me. It was just a few months later that I got 3rd in masters nationals in the 400IM ( I think 4;45) and then had my heart breakdown in June, having to reevaluate all my life priorities and time send offs.

Got back on track kind of at 56 and did those on the 1;15 SCY going 3rd in a fast lane. Guessing my next stop will be 1;20/25 now in my early 60's.

What did you hold on your swims, do you think you could have inched the interval down at any point, or even started and finished on 1;25?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beginner swimmer here:

Warm-up: 2 x 100F, 100 Catch Up. 15-30 SR
between each 100

Main Set: Pyramid - 30SR between each repeat
50 - 100 - 150 - 200 - 150 - 100 - 50

Cool down: 200 Free/drill of choice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. Why does the first day back in the water after a measly few days off always suck?

WU:
200ez
2x50 kick
2x(2x50 singlearm/swim)

MS:
7x100 (:20) @1:40

CD:
200ez

1400scy.

MS was supposed to be USRPT 20x100, but the stroke just wasn't there today. Felt out of balance, and shoulders were stiff---just "off". Same story as when I got back from Israel. Hopefully tomorrow repeats the pattern, and is a good day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next