Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road
Quote | Reply
Most winters I use my road bike on the trainer to preserve my tri bike. But this winter I want to train just on the tri bike. But I can't get comfortable being aero very long on the trainer. But the minute I'm on the road I can go 100+ miles without coming out of aero position. Any sugguestions? Or this pretty normal? I also notice that I can't hold the power as long on the trainer as I can on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been noticing the same thing since moving in doors. Curious to see what others suggest.
Quote Reply
Re: Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from my N=1 sample, pretty normal. The lack of movement on the trainer means than you do not get the usual back/forth side/side shifting you do when you ride outdoors which activates additional muscle groups.
That said, I used my "discomfort" a as trigger for dialling in my position while on the trainer, and can now go about 90 minutes on the trainer in full aero before before i want to kill myself or need to stretch.
FWIW

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
I've been noticing the same thing since moving in doors. Curious to see what others suggest.
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the road you move with the bike. On the trainer you move against it. It is also boring and hot and that does not help at all.

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is not my experience. You need to adjust your position.
Quote Reply
Re: Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Received a very brief email from a co-worker when he started using TrainerRoad:

Quote:
Legs had more. Back side did not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you using a climbing block under your front wheel? usually playing with front wheel height helps me.

�There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe, and what can be more special than that there is no boundary?�- Stephen Hawking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you're having trouble on your tri bike indoors, and not indoors in general, this sounds like a bike angle issue to me. Do you already have a block under the front wheel? If so, you may want to try going a bit taller. Since trainers lift the back end of the bike, they tend to put you in a slight downhill position which can fatigue different muscles and cause discomfort pretty quickly, especially when in aero position.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using a block and added two think books to raise it. This seemed to help a little. Maybe I should try to go even higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I notice the same thing, but I am not worrying about it. I seem to be able to stay in the aero on my 40K race rides.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes yes, that'll do it, that worked for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a roadie perspective I also notice that I don't care to spend much time in the drops on the trainer while I use them often outdoors. I think the reason is because indoors I get much better air flow moving over my body by holding the hoods or top bar. There is plenty enough discomfort on the trainer already, so at least I can sit upright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually thinking the same thing while on the trainer last night. I believe someone said they think it could be due to moving more with the bike while outside. I wonder if a trainer like the Rock N Roll would help alleviate the discomfort as it supposedly allows you to move more with the bike. I ordered one a few weeks ago, hoping I arrives soon so I can test this out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way more dynamic on the road. Trainer gets very very static. Completely natural to feel worse on the trainer.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally experience the same thing. It feels like a heat/discomfort/mental thing mostly to me. All bent over, sweating right onto myself, not getting enough air in.

I asked my coach and he said that if you were ok riding outside in aero without experiencing a loss in power not to worry about it.

I figure indoor training is all about the engine. If you get enough time outside so that you feel you can use the power in your best position, good enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my n=1 experience...and I come from a pretty long background bike racing.

I simply cannot ride in my aero position on the trainer. It is simply uncomfortable. As soon as I take it outside, BAM...can hold it with no problems.

Two years ago, I made the commitment to riding my TT bike on the trainer over the winter. A tweak here, a tweak there....pads went back, saddle came forward and down a bit, etc. Could ride for a couple of hours with no issues. Very cold winter in Chicago and there was no outdoor riding to be had.

Go on Spring Break in FL...ship bike down. Head out on my first ride and had to stop within 200 meters. Literally could not ride in that position outside. Bars too close, saddle too forward, seat too low.

I *think* some of it is the lack of compensation you get when you get in an aero position inside....IOW, your position changes, your HR usually goes up but there is no equivalent change in speed. The trainer does not adjust for "aero".....so mentally you say "this sucks....I feel like I am working harder for nothing." (That is my theory at least for now....no idea if it is correct)

Anyway, I've given up on the idea of riding my TT bike inside anymore. I'll stick to my road bike inside and know that my TT bike is dialed in when I am outside.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bet you come out of aero more than you think over 100 miles. That being said - lower your TV or what-ever you are focusing on when indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the same way - so I simply ride the road bike on the trainer and most other outdoor rides for that matter. I probably ride the tt bike at most 25% of the time over the summer and 0% over the off season.

There's no reason to force yourself to ride the tt bike inside.

Quote | Reply
I'm equally comfortable in my TT position on a trainer or the road. I seem to be able to put out more power on the road though (maybe 5 watts over 20-30 minutes, nothing remarkable).

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's due to low inertia. Rollers are just as uncomfortable but a trainer that simulates outdoor inertia is just as comfortable as outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said already, bike angle plays a huge part. To the extent you can use a trainer block to get the front up an inch or 2 it may make a big difference for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Make sure your bike is level
2. Consider either the Omnium or the Rock n Roll trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the air on the road hitting you holds up your torso a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Not comfortable aero on trainer but fine on road [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The centripetal acceleration of riding around the planet's circumference (vs. being stationary) also unweights the body.
Quote Reply

Prev Next