Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not another 'Twitch hunt...
Quote | Reply
I know a racer who was, years ago, DQ'd for course cutting. His reaction seemed genuine and I thought it was probably an accident. But from time to time I have seen some results from him that are suspicious. I have NO desire to discuss his name, or go down that road in the least bit. What I'd really like to know is: what would you do with this info? Is an intervention that leads to a positive result even possible?
Quote Reply
Re: Not another 'Twitch hunt... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming he was at a race I was doing, or helping at, I would work with the RD to keep track of him with a shadow person or something.
Or maybe let him wear a tracking GPS unit :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Not another 'Twitch hunt... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Or maybe let him wear a tracking GPS unit :)

Julie Miller could figure that out. Oops I lost it again.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Not another 'Twitch hunt... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I suppose that is what I was getting at. If her coach or a friend had intervened earlier and said, "Julie, look I don't know how you did it, but I am pretty sure that you cheated. Please stop, because one day you will get caught..." Would that have made a difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he's not near the podium, I would just let it go. Won't make a difference.

If however, he's stealing podiums or BQs or close enough timewise that he's at risk for it, it might be worth emailing an RD just to make of note of it - if enough people 'flag' him, the RD will be on the lookout for his cheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I know a racer who was, years ago, DQ'd for course cutting. His reaction seemed genuine and I thought it was probably an accident. But from time to time I have seen some results from him that are suspicious. I have NO desire to discuss his name, or go down that road in the least bit. What I'd really like to know is: what would you do with this info? Is an intervention that leads to a positive result even possible?

It depends what your definition of a positive result is.

-Do you want him to stop?

-Do you want him to be punished/banned?

-Do you want him publicly shamed as a cautionary tale to others?

-Do you want to protect other competitors who are trying to KQ, 70.3WCQ, etc.?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Not another 'Twitch hunt... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

It depends what your definition of a positive result is.

-Do you want him to stop?

-Do you want him to be punished/banned?

-Do you want him publicly shamed as a cautionary tale to others?

-Do you want to protect other competitors who are trying to KQ, 70.3WCQ, etc.?

Cheating is cheating. While the majority of race participants are racing against themselves, cheaters like Julie are leveraging their "success" in influencing their community. This is not fair or not healthy. In the long run this also isn't giving much honour to others involved, especially after the cheat is discovered and with it it becomes known that the organisers / coach / friends knew about this, but kept silent. What the cheater does on his or her personal time and puts up on Strava is up to them, but once they come to the public forum, such as a race they must adhere to the rules. They don't like it or think they are smarter than everybody else? That get out and make your own race with your own rules, probably somewhere in the West Wyoming area.

In short: cheaters must be reported, because this is not only about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local Houston guy?

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've got a few of those locally and many that really push the honestly envelope. I'm not sure there is much you can do unless he/she is at your race and you see them in action. I always call out bad drafters when I'm on the bike. Otherwise, how would you know who/when to alert someone.

I lost to one of these guys by 0.1 seconds last year at a race as a reference. I was told after the race he cut the run. Such is life.
Quote Reply