Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming
Quote | Reply
Circle swimming has burned my workout on several occasions at my local Y. The problem is always that we end up with 3 (or more) people who don't know each other, don't know each others' workouts, and don't swim at anywhere near the same speeds. I understand that experienced swimmers can work with this, but to me it just isn't enjoyable. I'm old school and love the Zen-ness of settling into a pace and keeping it going. That's hard to do when one person is trying to do 50s and another is flailing and drifting around the lane.

So, circle swimming is simply not the way I want to start my day.

Now, I am also never going to be the guy who tells people that my lane is closed. I get that pool etiquette is that circle swimming happens when the lanes fill up.

So on the occasion, and it is rare, that someone requests to circle swim, I usually just end my workout there and adapt my day to that--maybe do an additional bike or try to get back to the pool later.

I did this today and the lady getting in acted like I was a total snob. She was offended when I said, "I'm good. I'm done anyway."

Whatever. Am I the only one who doesn't like to circle swim when it's a completely disorganized mess? The way I see it, if I don't want to circle swim, that's my issue (pool etiquette being what it is), so it's my choice to just get out. Why should this offend anybody?
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [CloversDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's fine to end your workout and adapt your day. Just don't refuse to Circle swim and screw other people. There's one guy at the pool where I swim Who Will Hog a entire lane and refuse to Circle swim while we cram four and five people into one lane. He is complete belligerent a******
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jul 12, 17 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I'm not interested in ruining others' swims. In the early morning, we have a guy who takes up a whole lane sculling in a spread eagle position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone "really" enjoy circle swimming? Its like running on a treadmill, a necessary evil at times.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [DustyNuggets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DustyNuggets wrote:
Does anyone "really" enjoy circle swimming? Its like running on a treadmill, a necessary evil at times.

I actually find the occasional super-long treadmill effort a nice change. Sort of like a sensory deprivation experience (no TV, no iPod.) But sharing a treadmill with a couple of other people probably wouldn't be any fun. haha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol! voluntary sensory depravation :) It is a special kind of person who loves triathlons!
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [DustyNuggets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a public pool you should circle swim even if you're the only one in the lane. Unless you booked the whole lane for yourself...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let me get this straight. She asked to join your lane which would have taken it to a circle swim situation. You told her you were done, essentially allowing her to do her workout in the more desirable "split lane" situation, and she commented negatively? Jeez, did she curse Santa for bringing her toys when she was a kid, too?

My take:
Circle swimming at Masters team practice? No problem; we're segregated in groups of similar speed, and all doing the same workout. Circle swimming at "open lap swim?" Rarely works out well for me. I usually end up cutting my workout short and departing early, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
In a public pool you should circle swim even if you're the only one in the lane. Unless you booked the whole lane for yourself...

Different pools have different customs. Where I swim, its customary to use the whole lane if you are the only one in it. That said, you are expect to accommodate someone who asks to split once all available lap lanes have someone. Once all available lanes are in a split, you have to be willing to accommodate circle swimming for the next person who approaches...or be willing to give up your half-lane if circle swimming you aren't willing to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on it. Unless the others in your lane are about the same speed, doing the same workout, it just sucks. I circle swim in the ocean now... I circle around a rock and head back to my starting point.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind circle swimming and I don't think she should have been offended if you preferred to get out then share, it's much better than if you had said no and had been an ass. If there's just two people sometime it's worth just asking to split the lane in two and it makes it easier.

One thing that I found helps with circle swimming is communication with the other swimmers and good attitude (but you can't fix that for other people so it doesn't always work out). Say if I am doing a kick set I will start last and hug the lane rope of move to another lane. Or if I'm in the middle of a sprint set and someone just left on a slow 200 m, I'll extend my rest interval a bit to let them get ahead as I'd rather get a good sprint in then have a short rest and shitty sprint. Just some thoughts to hopefully make swimming more enjoyable for you :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I avoid this by having a non-Masters swim group of 4-10 folks (depending on the day) and we squeeze into one or two lanes and then don't have to worry about sharing with slower swimmers. Otherwise, it's show up at a less crowded time when you can split a lane, or join Masters. I'm just not going to get a workout in circle swimming with really slow swimmers.

Quote | Reply
CloversDad wrote:
Circle swimming has burned my workout on several occasions at my local Y. The problem is always that we end up with 3 (or more) people who don't know each other, don't know each others' workouts, and don't swim at anywhere near the same speeds. I understand that experienced swimmers can work with this, but to me it just isn't enjoyable. I'm old school and love the Zen-ness of settling into a pace and keeping it going. That's hard to do when one person is trying to do 50s and another is flailing and drifting around the lane.

So, circle swimming is simply not the way I want to start my day.

Now, I am also never going to be the guy who tells people that my lane is closed. I get that pool etiquette is that circle swimming happens when the lanes fill up.

So on the occasion, and it is rare, that someone requests to circle swim, I usually just end my workout there and adapt my day to that--maybe do an additional bike or try to get back to the pool later.

I did this today and the lady getting in acted like I was a total snob. She was offended when I said, "I'm good. I'm done anyway."

Whatever. Am I the only one who doesn't like to circle swim when it's a completely disorganized mess? The way I see it, if I don't want to circle swim, that's my issue (pool etiquette being what it is), so it's my choice to just get out. Why should this offend anybody?

I see everything "glass half full". If there are others in my lane, and I can't do the workout I want, I use that as an opportunity to swim fartlek, basically hammering when I have an opening, and going easy when I don't, or doing kick drills or kick board or fins only trying to respect the space of the others and that they are trying to improve themselves. Having said that everyone once in a while there is a complete idiot trying to swim their masters workout that they missed during public swim and trying to leave on a certain pace time no matter who is there. If the person proves they have no consideration this is the time when I start doing sets of 50-100 fly (regardless of who is coming the other way....normally if I do fly and someone is coming the other way, I do 4 underwater dolphin kicks to not get my arms in their way) alternating with 25 breast essentially creating a ton of splashing and going into my full albatross arm and leg span. But you have to be a real asshole about your workout being the most important one in the universe for me to pull that gig....but every 2 months or so, there is someone that gets the full albatross workout from my side once they have proved to me that they need to own the pool. Then the game is on and you're not going to like swimming with me. I ain't leaving for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
If the person proves they have no consideration this is the time when I start doing sets of 50-100 fly alternating with 25 breast essentially creating a ton of splashing and going into my full albatross arm and leg span. But you have to be a real asshole about your workout being the most important one in the universe for me to pull that gig....but every 2 months or so, there is someone that gets the full albatross workout from my side once they have proved to me that they need to own the pool. Then the game is on and you're not going to like swimming with me. I ain't leaving for sure!

I break out the full sprint 25's (low 13-second efforts) on occasion when someone is being difficult about sharing. That'll make a bow-wake ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Circle swimming is all right if everyone in the lane's a competent lap swimmer. One person swimming with legs flailing or weaving to the wrong side of the lane will ruin it for everyone. And also it helps a lot if people jumped in the appropriate lane. Most pools have them marked slow medium fast. It is no fun passing someone every 2 laps who's doing the exaggerated frog kick and swimming literally half as fast as everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at my y no one circles-we split the lane even with signs that say circle- same at the city pools. One time I jumped in a city pool that had every lane occupied by 2 and he was the only one. he was circle swimming and not stopping to acknowledge me standing in the corner of the lane so i just went triathlon on him. Jumped in behind by 10 secs and when I would overtake and pass it was some short sprint work. We were both swimming free tho so it worked. When people ask to join my lane they always ask circle or split. I guess if there were more I would ask the guard ahead of time which lane is the fastest? med? slow? etc. they usually can tell because they see everyone on a regular basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have asked her what her workout was going to be before getting out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This must be a US thing. In the UK I have always had to circle swim, even with only 2 of us in the lane. I have only ever not circle swum once and was so impressed with how easy it was that on my next swim (in a different pool) I suggested to the only other guy there that we pick a side. He replied that the lifeguards don't allow it.
I've frequently had workouts ruined by people that are in the fast lane when they are doing 30 second breaststroke laps, or who just generally don't get the etiquette. I've learned to be flexible with my sessions. Sometimes my 400m reps might become a mix of 100,150,250,25 and all sorts of random paces. Some days you win, some you lose.

It's summer now though so I can swim in the sea all by myself...
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
This must be a US thing. In the UK I have always had to circle swim, even with only 2 of us in the lane. I have only ever not circle swum once and was so impressed with how easy it was that on my next swim (in a different pool) I suggested to the only other guy there that we pick a side. He replied that the lifeguards don't allow it.
I've frequently had workouts ruined by people that are in the fast lane when they are doing 30 second breaststroke laps, or who just generally don't get the etiquette. I've learned to be flexible with my sessions. Sometimes my 400m reps might become a mix of 100,150,250,25 and all sorts of random paces. Some days you win, some you lose.

It's summer now though so I can swim in the sea all by myself...

+1

Norway here - and unless I get to the pool at 0600am, there will be other people in the lane. You circle, no questions asked. I dont really get the hassle, either. If they are really slow you just pass them on the left with a short 10 sec effort. If need be and someone is coming against us - I squeeze in down the middle - you can fit three people side-by-side in the lane. Still nothing like your ol' IM 4000-cazy people-mass start!
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, UK here too and I just circle from the off even if I'm alone. I might swim down the middle at the end of a session when I know no-one else will jump in, but apart from that, circle swimming essentially means 1 or more people can join without a conversation having to take place. I'm normally the fastest person in the pool, so it's me that ends-up compromising or changing my session - so just have a Plan B for if it gets a bit busy. At least swim watches now mean you can avoid being a slave to the pace clock, even if your rest intervals vary.

25 years since it all began
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe places that customarily circle swim incite better situational awareness -- usually if I'm in a lane with someone slower they will hold at the wall or move over for me to pass, likewise if I'm in with someone faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
maybe places that customarily circle swim incite better situational awareness

I wouldn't count on it. I regularly swim in the London Olympic pool, which is mandatory circle swimming with sign-posted "Slow", "Medium" and "Fast" lanes.

You regularly come across slow people that are completely oblivious to the fact that they're getting lapped by everyone else on each-and-every length; or some moron that wants to do his kick set in one of the fast lanes rather than move down.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time I've had to say something in the last 5 years, was ironically to a young couple who were clearly ex-club swimmers. They kept pushing-off right in front of me, then doing breaststroke; I would just go right into the back of them off the wall. After I spoke to them politely, he was okay, but she obviously took umbrage, and starting trying to tap my feet as I flip-turned when she was stood at the end. Sigh.

25 years since it all began
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, some people will take offence at a comment even if it is justified and conveyed politely.

That story reminds me of another couple that I used to regularly bump into at my local pool a few years ago. Again, this was in a designated circle-swimming "lanes" session and they would plant themselves in the "Medium" speed lane and WALK half the length of the pool, side-by-side, as though they were going for a romantic stroll in the ocean! They'd do this until it became too deep for them to stand up and then they'd do some gentle breaststroke to the far-wall, hang out for a bit and then swim back until they could stand up again and walk the last bit back to the start. It wasn't that they couldn't swim, it's just that they were so busy chatting away that the actual swimming part was only a secondary concern; they were completely oblivious to the chaos and disruption that they would cause. I never said anything but eventually they disappeared; I guess they figured out that walking was a more appropriate outdoor activity and that they didn't have to pay for the privilege of doing it there.

This was in my early-days of swimming and it's certainly helped form my expectations of public pool sessions! As long as someone's actually trying to swim, I generally give them a break.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a snob--just don't like circle swimming [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
There's one guy at the pool where I swim Who Will Hog a entire lane and refuse to Circle swim while we cram four and five people into one lane. He is complete belligerent a******

That sounds like sprint fly day :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next