Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports
Quote | Reply
As a Norwegian in the USA I find this interesting. I have also coached xc-skiing in both countries.
It is interesting that mass start in xc-skiing is not allowed in Norway until the racers are 12, but very common here in the USA.
Yes I also know that Norway usually sucks at the summer games.
But is is not bad for a country with 5m people, same as Wisconsin, to dominate the olympic winter games.

Unlike the U.S., where we keep score of everything all the time, Norway puts kids in sports but doesn’t let them keep score until age 13. The idea is to make sports part of their social development so that the motivation to stay involved is to have fun with their friends, not winning.
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that’s a very interesting approach, and would certainly support it for my own kids - it certainly is reaping huge rewards for Norway on the podium. Congratulations to them!
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
As a Norwegian in the USA I find this interesting. I have also coached xc-skiing in both countries.
It is interesting that mass start in xc-skiing is not allowed in Norway until the racers are 12, but very common here in the USA.
But is is not bad for a country with 5m people, same as Wisconsin, to dominate the olympic winter games.

Unlike the U.S., where we keep score of everything all the time, Norway puts kids in sports but doesn’t let them keep score until age 13. The idea is to make sports part of their social development so that the motivation to stay involved is to have fun with their friends, not winning.

Or they play sports most of the world doesn't and only comes around every 4 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting approach indeed.

Now what do you make of the Biathlon performances of the Boe brothers?

I am having a hard time figuring out their true form right now.

How do you see the men's Biathlon relay unfolding?

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
As a Norwegian in the USA I find this interesting. I have also coached xc-skiing in both countries. It is interesting that mass start in xc-skiing is not allowed in Norway until the racers are 12, but very common here in the USA.

Very interesting, my only comment is that kids can generally tell who is faster, stronger, and/or better at most sports even w/o actual score keeping, i.e. it's not like they're blindfolded and can't see how their peers are doing. But still, the not keeping score concept is cool and i can see how it relieves some of the pressure/stress that some kids may feel to excel.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Halvard wrote:
As a Norwegian in the USA I find this interesting. I have also coached xc-skiing in both countries. It is interesting that mass start in xc-skiing is not allowed in Norway until the racers are 12, but very common here in the USA.

Very interesting, my only comment is that kids can generally tell who is faster, stronger, and/or better at most sports even w/o actual score keeping, i.e. it's not like they're blindfolded and can't see how their peers are doing. But still, the not keeping score concept is cool and i can see how it relieves some of the pressure/stress that some kids may feel to excel.

It is interesting to see how this approach has been successful compare to the old days when I grew up. When i was 8 and started to compete in xc-skiing the top 50% got a prize and on the results you could find a red mark between the top 50 and the bottom 50. It was not good for keeping kids doing hard sports.
It is quite clear that today's approach is better.

Another aspect of Norwegian culture. You want the athletes to be able to coach themselves from around 18 years old. It is not common to get a program from a coach. Your coach is a person you discuss with.
You really see that in ncaa xc-skiing where hardly any Norwegians are coached by the university coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Halvard wrote:

It is interesting to see how this approach has been successful compare to the old days when I grew up. When i was 8 and started to compete in xc-skiing the top 50% got a prize and on the results you could find a red mark between the top 50 and the bottom 50. It was not good for keeping kids doing hard sports.

Another aspect of Norwegian culture. You want the athletes to be able to coach themselves from around 18 years old. It is not common to get a program from a coach. Your coach is a person you discuss with.
You really see that in ncaa xc-skiing where hardly any Norwegians are coached by the university coach.

NMU has FIVE Norwegians & their team coach is also Norwegian. I'd have to disagree with you on that Halvard, they do get programs from the coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Ya, i bet being below that red line was soul crushing for some kids. One question i gotta ask though: does "no scorekeeping" include no timing at all??? IOW, was a guy like your 1500 m star, IIRC his name is Henrik Christianson, was NEVER timed during his formative swimming days of 5 or 6 up to age 12??? Coming from my U.S. perspective, that would be kinda weirdish, given that 6-11 yr olds over here get timed routinely every summer.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

+ 1

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past wasn't it because of their extensive ped use? At least in cross country skiing etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
In the past wasn't it because of their extensive ped use? At least in cross country skiing etc...

Martin Johnsrud Sundby (one of the Norwegian 4 x 10 relay gold medal members in Korea this Olympics) is in fact by definition, a doper. He was busted in 2016 but served 2 months suspension for 35% over the limit of salbutamol, served his time only during the off race season months. This is a similar situation that Froome is currently fighting. Found this out from the TV commentators actually--it was news to me. Either way, you have to admit, the technique part of Noway's skiers is just nothing short of awesome, just very, very refined. I am not aware of others but don't know the history of Norway skiers getting popped. Maybe you are thinking of Finland? A large number of their national team was busted some years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/skiing/2016/10/28/forget-sir-bradley-wiggins-the-real-scandal-right-now-is-happeni/

Lots of asthmatics...
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having spent time in Norway with work, I'd say the outcome in terms of lifestyles is of far more interest than how the top 0.001% perform in the Olympics every 4 years. Nearly every Norwegian seems to have an active, outdoor lifestyle. Most people seemed to have at least some element of running, walking, cycling or in winter skiing on their commute. I'd see lots of sport going on after work in the evenings. And on a Monday morning when you asked people how their weekend was they'd almost invariably done something active.

I've travelled and worked in a couple of dozen countries and Norway stands out as the one where an active lifestyle is most embedded into the culture. Finland was second, though the motorsport culture there seemed to lead to more people who loved their cars and didn't walk anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does their unique approach also involve a questionable use of the asthma drugs?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Halvard wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Halvard wrote:

NMU has FIVE Norwegians & their team coach is also Norwegian. I'd have to disagree with you on that Halvard, they do get programs from the coach.

The skiers I have talked with this season from Utah and CU are not getting any programs. These are all American.
Usually the coach is more a person you discuss with. Jessie Diggins wrote about this after she visit Norway's national team one summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Having spent time in Norway with work, I'd say the outcome in terms of lifestyles is of far more interest than how the top 0.001% perform in the Olympics every 4 years. Nearly every Norwegian seems to have an active, outdoor lifestyle. Most people seemed to have at least some element of running, walking, cycling or in winter skiing on their commute. I'd see lots of sport going on after work in the evenings. And on a Monday morning when you asked people how their weekend was they'd almost invariably done something active.

I've travelled and worked in a couple of dozen countries and Norway stands out as the one where an active lifestyle is most embedded into the culture. Finland was second, though the motorsport culture there seemed to lead to more people who loved their cars and didn't walk anywhere.

Sadly Norway like every western country is not getting fitter. You have a segment that is active, then a segment of the population that is not. Norway is just lagging other countries in Europe (luckily).
So while the top is getting better, the population as a whole is getting slower and fatter.
But your are right. It is easy to be active in Norway so Norwegians have no excuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the drugs that don't actually do anything if you don't have asthma?
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Or they play sports most of the world doesn't and only comes around every 4 years.

Buzzkill. Your story isn't as feel good. However, you are correct.

Here are some thoughts:
1. Seems the Norwegian way only applies to a few sports because they are rubbish in the rest. See their soccer teams, which is the third most popular sport.
2. If you look at the US, the best youth hockey states generally come from the NE quadrant. The best youth soccer and baseball states are also generally climate driven and dominate because they simply play that sport more.
3. The US produces quite a few half decent basketball players compared to the rest of the world. We keep score there.
4. The argument as to why the US is subpar in international soccer is because we exclude the innercity athletes due to expense. Don't know about anyone else, but I've never seen bands of African American teenagers skiing through Harlem. So we're excluding at least half the pool from playing. Hell, even the white kids generally don't ski much at all.

The above notwithstanding, the scourge of not keeping score at the younger age groups has firmly advanced in all US sports. I coach my daughter's soccer and basketball teams and the number one question I get from the kids during the game is: "Coach, what's the score?" The kids aren't afraid of the score.
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Especially with Winter Olympics we should normalise population numbers by snow-days-per year or so. Or in the case of alpine skiing population by number of skiing resorts.

Once again alpine skiing: here in Germany we have a population pf 80m. However, the competitive alpine skiiing population is recruited mostly from only a handful of villages. We have almost no share of the mountains. No comparision to Austria.

I'm not saying the Norway isn't doing something better than other countries, apparently they can generate a good environment for the sport, but population numbers have to be put into context.
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [stefa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t forget, we are talking about high performance sport, and a small country is running away with the medal count.

We are trying to isolate the “special sauce” to Norway’s success in winter endurance spthe same way 8 years ago how we dissected the training culture that allowed a small country like Jamaica to produce consistently elite sprinters...

Sometimes, the obvious answer is also the correct one.
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, of course the kids can tell who wins / loses, etc., and that should never change. And you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence.

The de-emphasizing of keeping score / standings / playoffs / etc. at early ages is actually more to do with us, adults. We can't help ourselves in over emphasizing where our U10 soccer team is in the league standings, when what we should be focusing on is a) making sure the kids are having fun, b) helping them to improve their skills.

ericmulk wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [thomeeboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This change in this article Norway for New Zealand and Winter Olympics for Rugby. I would say it's more about history and role models?
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drugs?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Norway is dominating these Winter Olympics with a unique approach to sports [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Does their unique approach also involve a questionable use of the asthma drugs?

I have admired many of the Norwegian performances, but I would be lying not to say that there have been such a wide array of strangely impressive Norwegian performances that I am skeptical about the dominance, particularly with the latest round of leaks from the cross country skiing blood test databases that very strongly implicates many of their athletes (and many countries) of blood doping and worse.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Feb 21, 18 4:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next