Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race.
Quote | Reply
Forgive me if I prattle on here and this gets a bit long.. Still on a high/out of my mind recuperating. I know Norseman gets a lot of pub but wanted to share...especially if you are considering racing it one day.

If you have SLIGHTEST attraction to race Norseman...sign up for the lottery. Just do it. And if you're lucky enough to get a spot, find a way over to Norway to do this race.

CONTEXT:

Lifelong endurance athlete. Competitive cross-country runner in HS. Raced bikes in college. 2 IMs (Wisconsin 2007 & 2009) 10:19 and 10:31. Missed KQ by a few spots each time. HIMS, low 4:30s. AG podiums for Olys. No tri racing since IM in 2009. Barely any racing/exercise at all due to starting own business and starting family (have 3 yr old son).

CATALYST:

In August 2013, I went to buy a pair of pants. I’ve always been on border of a 33/34 (I’m 6’3”) inch waist. Always. Couldn’t fit a 34.. Tried a 35, wouldn’t fit. Tried a 36, WOULDN’T FIT. Didn't buy a pair of pants. Went home and weighed myself. 207. Went out for my first run in 18-20 months that day. Only made it a mile.

Had to do something drastic. Naturally, around that time, Norseman started accepting lottery applications. My wife had always said this was a race she could get behind (she’s Scandinavian) and told me to apply. I did. Knew the odds were terrible, but had this strange feeling I’d get a spot.

I did.

PREPARATION

Uh-oh. I had 9 months to get back. Started slooowly. Running in fall/winter of 2013.(did shit show Disney marathon with my wife in January). Started riding on trainer and swimming in January. Quickly started to come back. Got in 400 hrs of training from January through July 2014. Much different with present work and child…fit in training whenever I could during day. So not as much long stuff…lots of more frequent short stuff. Most rides on trainer. Running was awesome…built up to mid 50s mpw. I don’t use power. I don’t use HRM. I only wear a watch to know how long I’ve been out. I’ve been doing this long enough to know within a few seconds what min per mile I’m running… and effort on bike, etc. Of course, could be more effective with more science, but I had a blast just getting out and training. My fitness level not quite at 07/09 levels...but at least 90%.

I weighed 207 in August 2013. I weighed 176 the week before the race.

OBJECTIVE

Of course I wanted one of those black t-shirts.

THE TRIP

Flew to Stockholm with my family. Used a Ruster Armored Hen House (which was awesome, by the way…no questions asked by airlines, no extra $, and bike arrived safely). We then drove 4 hours west to family summer house. Had small lake to swim in. Good roads to ride. And awesome trails to run. My wife and two brother-in-laws volunteered to be my support crew. We got up at 5:00AM on Friday (day before race) and drove to Eidfjord, Norway. Was a 6.5 hour drive. We arrived at 11:30 AM. Chilled. Got ready. Went to Pre-Race meeting. Listened to Norwegian folks songs. And checked out other 260 competitors. EVERYONE looked like KQers. Everyone. No pretenders here.

SWIM

All of a sudden, found myself climbing aboard the famous ferry at 3:45AM. Pretty relaxed atmosphere. I decided to use my old QR wetsuit from around 2006 (doesn’t have much mileage). Thickest suit I have. Still fits best. Used Emilio’s suggestion of a “Cap Sandwich”. Latex cap, neoprene cap, latex cap. With wax ear plugs. Did find a Roka neoprene cap that didn’t have chin strap (tested a couple… and didn’t like feeling restricted). Was awesome. My bald noggin felt nice and toasty. Used neoprene booties too. And, frankly, the water wasn’t that cold. We got lucky. 16 degrees Celsius. Even warmer close to shore. Zero issues. 2.4 miles was glorious with only 260 people. Had zero bumps. Had super clear path the entire way. Didn’t swim as much in training as years past but felt very good, quite easy.

Came in 1:07. Previous two IM swims were 1:04 and 1:08. So right there.

T1

Total change. Stripped down naked. Put on full cycling kit.

BIKE

Bike: Road 2007 Planet-X Stealth. Had no funds for new bike. Did buy a set of Flo 30s to use for this race. Wanted something easy to use…especially if I got into trouble. A little aero. Aluminum braking surface. Plus, wanted new wheels to train on.

Bike clothes: Desoto Tri Bib (Awesome shorts.) Gore undershirt. Castelli Aero Jersey. Giro Attack. Castelli Nano-flex arm warmers. Giro ProLight Shoes.
No GPS. No bike computer. No watch. This would all be by feel.

And I was off. And up. And up. And up.

First 25 miles are uphill. Seriously. The first 25 miles. No breaks. Through tunnels. Through old roads. With traffic. Some ascent up to 6-8%. Of course, you're telling yourself to take it easy…but it just doesn’t let you. It’s really quite devious. I loved it.

Around the 40K mark…first time I saw my support crew. We were now up on the Hardangervidda plateau and it was getting chilly. And windy. Quickly put on my bright yellow Gabba jersey. Was very glad I brought it along. 40-90K is the “fast” part of course. Some decent downhill. Had to remind myself to eat and drink. Think I reached halfway in 3:30. I couldn't help but laugh. 3:30 for half! From 90K, you turn south (hello straight headwind!). You then go through three climbs. Each about 4K. 7-8%. With fast downhills. But never really chance to collect myself as my legs were definitely getting shattered by this point (how on earth I was going to do the run started creeping in at this point).

And then you hit final climb, up Immingfjell, which is a real doozy. It was long, steep and unrelenting. I just put my head down. A few dark places. Did remember to keep eating (luckily, have a cast-iron stomach so ate gums, waffles, snickers, gus, etc all through the day).

Finally, made it to the top…and started some false flats until the long descent to T2. And that’s when Xtreme really happened. Massive storm front came rolling through. Crazy rain. Hail. Xtreme wind. Fog. Couldn’t see past 20 yards. (Let me say, if you ride in inclement weather…buy yourself a Gabba jersey. Was absolutely awesome).

And that’s when I started the 7% grade, tight switchback, descent. Wet, white knuckle time. It was absolutely freaking awesome.

One of the coolest things… I was racing an Ironman length race…and was completely alone. Completely alone, totally drenched, flying down a mountain. No one else around me. I was so geeked up, was shouting at top of my lungs.

An unfathomable 7:20(!) later…I reached T2. (For what it's worth... I did IMWI in 5:15 and 5:30. HIM bikes all around 2:20)

T2

Okay…naked again…in front of Norwegian school children. Good times!

RUN

Changed into running clothes. Wore a fuel belt with fluids to always have something with me (no aid stations). Figured I might as well get comfortable. First 15 miles are relatively flat. As shattered as my legs were…I had definitely prepped for run. Went out easy. Put a watch on but never looked at it. They told me I was in 89th place. Started picking people off. Felt really good for 13 miles. Mt. Gaustatoppen loomed in the distance. Holy shit. It was damned big. Hit the 25K mark around 75th place. Ah, so this is Zombie Hill.

Yikes.

I thought I might be able to be one of the few who would run up Zombie. Um, no. Started to walk. Kept looking up. Holy smokes, this looked serious. My wife and one brother-in-law joined me. We were joking around.

We also were doing calculations. Getting to the 37.5K checkpoint in time cut-off was easily in reach. And there was no real way for nearly 90-100 people to catch up to me and pass me for black shirt. So we kept ambling up. It was at this time that I noticed something strange: Norwegians are a bunch of mountain goats. People were flying hiking up Zombie hill. At first, my competitive nature was kind of bothered by it. But really, I quickly realized it didn’t matter. What mattered more to me was to have a great time with my family who had been doing such an outstanding job all day supporting me. After long slog… we reached the 37.5K mark to go to top. Let me tell you…you think you’re close, but your not. The weather and wind only ratcheted up. Climbing up the rocks isn’t too crazy…but it ain’t that easy either. The top was shrouded in mist…so we didn’t even have reference point in terms of climbing. Just kept going and going.

And then finally, finally, finally… we were there.

I’ve run 10 marathons. I’ve never run one (including IMs) over 4 hours. This took me 6:09. (It took 2:13 for first 25K). Could I have hustled up the last 17K faster? Probably. But it didn’t matter.

Over my lifetime (so far), I've been fortunate to have had some great experiences through sport. State championship race in HS CC. The Little 500 at Indiana. A great run at Boston in 07. A “perfect” (for me) maiden IM at Madison.

The black t-shirt easily takes a rightful place.

Most importantly, the best part of Norseman was doing it with my family as support crew. You literally could not finish this race without support. Plus, it was just so much fun sharing the experience with them. It was also a refreshing change from prepping and gunning for a KQ, which I had done before. This was just me vs. the mountain.

I won’t be going back to Norseman. Too many other mountains to climb. But will always smile when thinking of the utterly charming and utterly sadistic race they’ve created there.

Last edited by: Dan Funk: Aug 8, 14 15:05
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great RR, but a Phi Psi? Haha had to look it up when I read about Little 5. Went to IU for grad school and was an advisor for Beta...also helped coach the L5 team a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome RR! Thx for sharing!

Norseman is definitely on the bucket list.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Ha ha, yup a Phi Psi. Road from 91-93. Came back and coached in 2000s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan
I am glad you got the black t-shirt.
Nice RR, I think every athlete leave a part of them self on Imingfjell and zombie hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome recap. Entering the lottery for the first time this year. I've made up my mind that this will be my first 140.6, so if I never get picked, then I guess I never do one. Ignorance is bliss, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. Where do I sign up?
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Awesome RR! Thx for sharing!

Norseman is definitely on the bucket list.

Just quoting that one in case you change your mind on us and retire again....run repeats for you up Whiteface next year then?
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice meeting you Dan. It would have been better if we had done it before the race. Well, since you came motoring by me one the first hill. i had to let you go as you were too fast for me.

I enjoyed your RR. I too swam a 1:07. Gotta say, getting butt naked in T1 with cameras firing away was a little weird. also trying to get my very tight shorts on was tough over wet skin. A buddy of mine (one of my crew) was trying to help me as I struggled with my shorts at my knees. I'm yanking, he is tugging, parts are flapping away.
slowest T1 ever.

Imingfjell was no joke. I hit it about the same time. Head wind after they stopped us to turn lights back on and put on safety vest. Then the gusting, driving rain. came down in sheets at first. It was steep and bumpy. Then the last 14km is good. But I hit 47mph and bumps big enough to nearly knock my elbows off the armrest.

I have never done a 140 mile race. I have never run farther than 20.25 miles. I have been a lifetime athlete and done some hard things.
This got hard. I did jog up Zombie. I don't think I could call in running. But the number of people I passed after mile 15.5 passed me once we went off road. That was the toughest 3 miles of my life.

If you go to do this race. Don't go at it thinking I'll just go to finish it. Train like you want to win it. That's how you will finish it.
Learn how to suffer.

Would I go back? Yes. But it was very expensive and for that, I will probably will not make it back.

Dan…. any pictures?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<seething in a jealous rage>

Well done!

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [Alpinist909] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John-

It was great meeting you on the road to Dyranut. Super impressive you were able to haul up Zombie Hill the way you did!

Waiting to get some pics rom my brother-in-law. When I do, will throw some up on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/...f_t=mentions_comment

Here is video of the last few minutes near the top. I commented below the video. Not professional grade. Knees hurt soooo bad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:

CATALYST:

In August 2013, I went to buy a pair of pants. I’ve always been on border of a 33/34 (I’m 6’3”) inch waist. Always. Couldn’t fit a 34.. Tried a 35, wouldn’t fit. Tried a 36, WOULDN’T FIT. Didn't buy a pair of pants. Went home and weighed myself. 207. Went out for my first run in 18-20 months that day. Only made it a mile.

Had to do something drastic. Naturally, around that time, Norseman started accepting lottery applications. My wife had always said this was a race she could get behind (she’s Scandinavian) and told me to apply. I did. Knew the odds were terrible, but had this strange feeling I’d get a spot.

I did.

Congrats on the race and getting into such great shape.

One question:
If you needed a 38 waist , what kind of pants had you been wearing this whole time? Surely the 33/34 would have been a tourniquet at this point?? Or were you wearing mostly sweat pants during the prior 18-20 months?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report. Congratulations for a great race.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Dan on your race and your return to training. Great Race report, short but powerful.
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, are you wearing your shirt or putting it somewhere safer.

I gotta say, I hate the way the technical shirts "pick" on anything that might snag it.

Mine is still hanging in the closet
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha... Ended up just having to roll in old pants that had sufficiently stretched out over years (with addition to gut hanging over, etc). Lol.

I've always been able to take weight/inches off pretty quickly (when in high school, couldn't gain weight to save my life). Big dose of training and ultra strict diet (went hard core starting last winter) always does it. By this spring, was rocking a 34. By this summer, I easily had an inch or so of room in 34 in. pants. Already gaining but going to keep it in check this time. Not going to let myself go above 190 (which is pretty natural weight for me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post Dan. I am trying to get back to normal life, always get a bit of post IM blues, but after this race you think what can I do now? . I did IM Lanza this year as well, they say this is hard, nah!!

The race is fantastic, Norwegians are so supportive, it was a honour to do it. I think I was the oldest dude in the race at 55, so that's probably my swan song and a great way to go out with a black t shirt.

I wonder about a young American who crashed early in the race, I was chatting with him up first mountain and then he was with the medical guys. I hope he made it, but that was some speedy downhill.

Thank you Norway and Norseman, I won't forget you. I won't be back, some other lucky guy can have a go.
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [Roydema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race all of you. I was there with you, but unfortunately didn't get to meet you.

Norseman is truly a brilliant bizarre race. It was my second showing there and my 9th IM distance overall. No other race has the ability to humble you like this one. In hindsight i can analyze, but during it is really hard to be optimistic or positive. It just keeps coming at you, throwing you back onto that what really is YOU. Your drive, your motivation. Your passion for this crazy thing we do. Standing on top of mountains, be it literally or figuratively.

Reading this back it might sound a bit negative. But it isn't. It's the best (triathlon)race in the world. But i'm done for now. No green shirt anytime soon. To much soul left on Mount Imming and Mount Gausta.

Do it. You and your supportcrew will never forget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Nice job. Thanks for sharing!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GREAT RR! Love the bare-bones approach with no HRM, GPS, watch, etc. Congrats!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome stuff!

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman RR: A perfectly insane race. [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great RR!

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"...will always smile when thinking of the utterly charming and utterly sadistic race they’ve created there."

Summed up perfectly! Congrats on your finish.

I swam a 1:09 and biked a 7:20, so we were out there together! :) What an incredible, unique, crazy experience that was.
Last edited by: lostinT2: Aug 20, 14 16:39
Quote Reply