Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Non-Disc Races: How Deep Can One Go? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know the rule, but the HED 3 Kona Coast was designed to get around the same rule at Kona.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know.

But you could partially fill in those gaps with PVC or flat carbon sheets on a standard Hed 3 taped in place. No cutting necessary.

If they dont allow it ---- then you remove them day of.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is that a stupid rule? It's a windy race. It's not fun getting blown off your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The Kona/Cozumel restrictions on discs must have been developed by lawyers or individuals who don't understand how bicycles work. "
------------------------
Curious if you have raced there . . . I'll ride a disc in just about anything; however, I can tell you the Kona rule makes very good sense. The gusts between to cut outs can be something else!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, so you really don't know what you are talking about....hmmmm

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
david wrote:
Interesting, so you really don't know what you are talking about....hmmmm

You absolutely are correct! No doubt whatsoever.

Kudos on a great response!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
jmh wrote:
I don't know the rule, but the HED 3 Kona Coast was designed to get around the same rule at Kona.

That's exactly what I want to do with her rear wheel.

If you go this route, seems like you may want to bring a spare wheel with you. It sounds like the HED wheel pictured above was ruled to be illegal when Chann McRae wanted to ride it in Kona:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../kona2002/chann.html

Maybe someone who knows the full story can chime in, but I wouldn't count on her being allowed to race a wheel like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-Disc Races: How Deep Can One Go? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found another story on the wheel. I'd wager to guess that, since we haven't seen them in the last 12 years, the wheels were never found to be legal.

Hed's Kona Coast not legal for Kona's coast

October 16, 2002, Kona, Hawaii

Hed's revolutionary wheel, the Kona Coast, will not be legal for use in the 2002 Hawaiian Ironman, according to race director Sharron Ackles.

The wheel blurs the lines between a 3-spoke and a disc, and bears a resemblance both to Hed's popular Hed3 tri-spoke and Hed's 3D disc, which looks like a Hed3 with the holes filled in. The Kona Coast is essentially a 3D with holes cut into it, resulting in a Hed3 with more surface area.

Sharron Ackles, reached by telephone shortly after her ruling this morning, was asked whether she made her decision based on the wheel's potential to give its users an unfair advantage, its potential danger in severe crosswinds, or procedural issues—that is, that it wasn't submitted for approval prior to the race.

"Two out of the three," was her reply. "We like to see new innovations at least six months prior to the race. We don't want to stifle innovation. We just want to make sure the product is appropriate for the Kona course. The past two years we've had tremendous winds, and I made my decision with this in mind. Risk management was my other concern."

Ackles was also asked whether this wheel will prompt a more specific ruling on wheels, such as a maximum rim and hub depth, and a maximum cumulative width of all the spokes.

"With the advent of this wheel coming to our attention, we've had those discussions over the past 48 hours," she said.

Ackles further said she'd welcome the opportunity to meet with industry experts such as Steve Hed to codify a set of rules for wheels used in Kona.

Hed, reached by phone after the ruling, welcomed the opportunity to work with Ackles in producing a more quantitative rule for wheels on Kona's course. He added, though, that, "I would've loved for our athletes to ride the wheels—they'll make great rear wheels for windy courses. But we still have time to get them all three spokes prior to the race."

While the Hed Kona Coast, which would've been on the rear wheels of bikes ridden by Chris McCormack, Lothar Leder and other top pros in the race, will ironically not be legal here in Kona, it will presumably be legal everywhere else. USA Triathlon's chief arbiter of such rulings is Charlie Crawford, and his remark on the subject was, "I don't see anything wrong with this wheel, from USAT's point of view. But Ironman has their own decisions to make about what is appropriate for their race on their Kona course."

The Hed Kona Coast came over to the Big Island with a ream of papers reporting on its wind tunnel results, including its reportedly impressive ability to handle well in a crosswind. Depending on what sorts of rules arise between this year's Kona race and next, the wheel may gain approval for future Kona races.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/headings/ironman1.html

Quote Reply