Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No wonder triathletes hate the swim
Quote | Reply
Reading these swim threads. Sheesh. Mono-fins, pull buoys, ankle bands, core this, psoas that.

Just suck all the enjoyment out of the sport, why don't you?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam my entire HS career with only kick boards and pull buoys. No other toys or gear (although our coach was highly creative in finding ways to create drag). In college, it was more of the same with but adding paddles. And we didn't use that stuff daily. Most of the improvements were done by swimming a lot and hard.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I swam my entire HS career with only kick boards and pull buoys. No other toys or gear (although our coach was highly creative in finding ways to create drag). In college, it was more of the same with but adding paddles. And we didn't use that stuff daily. Most of the improvements were done by swimming a lot and hard.

Yep. Lots of kickboard, like damn near daily. Rarely pull buoy. Never fins, snorkel, or paddles. Also, always being screamed at how the 500 wasn't even middle distance. It worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funnily enough you find no mention of all this crap in proper swimming circles.
Only with people looking for excuses for why they suck at swimming.

When I first started doing tri's my swim sucked big time.
Our pool closed for 4 months of the year and was never part of the swimming club.

Standing at the start line one day, the late Fred Knudson said to me " you know if you knew how to swim you would win these races'.
I replied that I will never swim well as my legs just sink.
He then pointed out that I was tall and flexible with a classic swimmers proportions except for a bit of extra leg muscle.
I didn't agree with his assessment and just knew that I would always be a crap swimmer and then try and win on my bike/run strengths.

Fast forward doing some research, then swim teaching/ coaching and my stroke had been transformed.
I was no stronger but my turn around times for 100m repeats were 25 secs faster.

The only props I need for swimming are goggles and an open mind.

All the other crap is just that, crap.
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is the swimmer's version of the old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
This thread is the swimmer's version of the old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn

haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Reading these swim threads. Sheesh. Mono-fins, pull buoys, ankle bands, core this, psoas that.

To get good at it, there is a certain amount of "don't think, just swim" that one needs to do. Technique is very important, but...

Oh, and get off my damned lawn.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Well said, and guilty here.

Now on to single leg drills on the bike, yoga and stretching..... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lately I am swimming 24-35K per week (like every week all year coming up on 2 years). 75% of the swimming is with nothing but my goggles, cap and jammers. 10% with paddles (could be finger paddles, could be medium, could be large....so 75% + 10% is just swimming with a small hand or large hand), 15% kicking with fins without board or board without fins). When I swam in the same pool with the Santa Clara swim club last year as they were preparing for Olympic Trials (note, I was in the same pool at the same time and that was it), they did a ton with fins and a ton of kicking with board and there was a ton of paddle working going on. I don't know the proportions, but they seemed to have that stuff on for an entire week. Maybe at that point they were sharpening and wanted to be up at full speed with fins and paddles without full cardio effort all the time.

I think once you are swimming enough working all strokes and having some variety of the toys and drills makes it more exciting. If you are the typical triathlete, swimming 2x per week for maybe 2K, then warmup for 400m, 16x100m hard, or 8x200 or 4x400 and just work your free as hard as humanly possible and call it done. All the beautiful slow technical drills that triathletes do when not in oxygen debt almost never transfers to holding any semblance of form in full oxygen debt.
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Lately I am swimming 24-35K per week (like every week all year coming up on 2 years). 75% of the swimming is with nothing but my goggles, cap and jammers. 10% with paddles (could be finger paddles, could be medium, could be large....so 75% + 10% is just swimming with a small hand or large hand), 15% kicking with fins without board or board without fins). When I swam in the same pool with the Santa Clara swim club last year as they were preparing for Olympic Trials (note, I was in the same pool at the same time and that was it), they did a ton with fins and a ton of kicking with board and there was a ton of paddle working going on. I don't know the proportions, but they seemed to have that stuff on for an entire week. Maybe at that point they were sharpening and wanted to be up at full speed with fins and paddles without full cardio effort all the time.

I think once you are swimming enough working all strokes and having some variety of the toys and drills makes it more exciting. If you are the typical triathlete, swimming 2x per week for maybe 2K, then warmup for 400m, 16x100m hard, or 8x200 or 4x400 and just work your free as hard as humanly possible and call it done. All the beautiful slow technical drills that triathletes do when not in oxygen debt almost never transfers to holding any semblance of form in full oxygen debt.

A cap? I'd rather be decked out in fins, paddles, snorkels, metronomes, etc. than have any other dude see me swim in a cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

You mean just swimming back and forth with no toys is more enjoyable that switching things up with pull buoys, ankle bands, fins etc?
I personally find switching between the swim aids adds interest and to my enjoyment. Just jumping in and doing 30x100m straight crawl isn't very interesting to me.
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

Odd-
I think I qualify as running in proper swim circles, and I seem to remember carrying giant gear bags onto the deck for every practice every day.
In descending order of use:
Board - every workout, sometimes the entirety of workout
Buoy - majority of workouts
Snorkel (& snorkel cap) - 66% of workouts
Twist Tube -50%
X Large Paddles -33% (for freestyle work)
Large Paddles -33% (stroke work)
Large Fins -2x/week (leg strength)
Band (or small tube)-1x/ week
Tiny Paddles- 1x/ week (speed work)
Short Fins- 1x/ week (speed work)
Finger paddles -every other week

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I agree with you to an extent. There's a time and place for equipment. It has to be used properly.

I did A LOT of pulling (buoy and paddles) in high school and college. Especially college. Fins have there time and place but most use them wayyyy to often. IMO, they only should be used when you are doing really really hard efforts (100s /200s/300s for time).

Never used a band in my swimming days.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

A cap? I'd rather be decked out in fins, paddles, snorkels, metronomes, etc. than have any other dude see me swim in a cap.

i always swim with a cap. i get cold quickly in the water and the cap helps. not all of us are sfo worried about whst other 'dudes' think of us.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

As the self-appointed king of the non-fish, I can answer this with data.

I'm a triathlete who sucks in the water. My last sprint race, I exited the water in 117th and biked/ran myself up to 15th. The 14 people who beat me had an average swim time 1:45 faster than me over a quarter mile. 1:45. The closest I was to any of these 14 was 0:35. The fastest of these 14 beat me by just over 3:00. That "race" is over for me before I even take my goggles off.

Now, let's be clear. I'm not going to Kona and I'm really only an above average local racer. Still, I'm very competitive and take pride in training hard and racing hard.

At 45 and having only started swimming 5 years ago (and swimming just twice a week..at best), I recognize I can not expect to match the guys who have grooved their stroke since they were 5. But they don't have a "started swimming 5 years ago" category in tri. So, I'm left trying to desperately cram 40 years and tens-of-thousands of yards into a 60-hour a week job and a family. And I'm trying to do it with two weekly 2500ish sessions at the YMCA.

Now, I'm also a good athlete. Multisport varsity athlete in HS (sub-2 800M, 4:30 mile, pole vault, kicker, soccer) and played soccer competitively up until a few years ago. In any adult basketball, hockey, or softball league, I would be your first pick.

Don't get all hostile, that stuff is not meant to provide a resume that rivals Ashton Eaton. It's only meant to give insight into my mindset of "Why the hell can I do every other sport but, in the pool, I'm basically an 8&under age grouper?"

This week, I had a session where I swam 10x50. My fastest was 0:44. My slowest was 0:47. The 44 wasn't the first repeat and the 47 wasn't the last repeat. I have moments where something clicks and I go faster but most times I plod along relying on my cardio engine to bail out my awful technique/position.

Many have told me I have a good stroke and just need to swim more. To that point, see the above.

At 45, I recognize my truly competitive days have an end date.

Maybe now you see why if you told me to wear TV rabbit ears during my swim sessions and that would improve me, I'd do it in a second. Given that, I don't feel so strange swimming with a monofin.
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
DJRed wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

i always swim with a cap. i get cold quickly in the water and the cap helps. not all of us are sfo worried about whst other 'dudes' think of us.

Hence the pink...

I swim with a cap for the same reason as you.
Last edited by: DJRed: Aug 25, 17 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

Hence the pick...

Dork...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This week, I had a session where I swam 10x50. My fastest was 0:44. My slowest was 0:47. The 44 wasn't the first repeat and the 47 wasn't the last repeat.

-----------

What was the interval on? 10 x 50 leaving every 60s?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Hence the pick...

Dork...

I hate you.
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Odd-
I think I qualify as running in proper swim circles, and I seem to remember carrying giant gear bags onto the deck for every practice every day.
In descending order of use:
Board - every workout, sometimes the entirety of workout
Buoy - majority of workouts
Snorkel (& snorkel cap) - 66% of workouts
Twist Tube -50%
X Large Paddles -33% (for freestyle work)
Large Paddles -33% (stroke work)
Large Fins -2x/week (leg strength)
Band (or small tube)-1x/ week
Tiny Paddles- 1x/ week (speed work)
Short Fins- 1x/ week (speed work)
Finger paddles -every other week

we didn't have snorkels back in my day, We had our own paddles and pull buoys, but everything else was on deck already. No one had short fins back then either, so anytime we used fins (which wasn't often) we used big snorkelling fins.

My favourite toy was the tether. Except when one hit me in the shin from the other end of the pool (I was on deck pulling the other guy in). That sucked...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Maybe now you see why if you told me to wear TV rabbit ears during my swim sessions and that would improve me, I'd do it in a second.

Pix or it didn't happen.
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
This week, I had a session where I swam 10x50. My fastest was 0:44. My slowest was 0:47. The 44 wasn't the first repeat and the 47 wasn't the last repeat.

-----------

What was the interval on? 10 x 50 leaving every 60s?

This was yards and it was with about 45 seconds rest. It was a taper since I race this weekend. My typical rest in a session is usually only 5-20 seconds per interval depending on the distance of the interval.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Hence the pick...

Dork...

I hate you.

Love you too, man...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
klehner wrote:

As the self-appointed king of the non-fish, I can answer this with data.

I'm a triathlete who sucks in the water. My last sprint race, I exited the water in 117th and biked/ran myself up to 15th. The 14 people who beat me had an average swim time 1:45 faster than me over a quarter mile. 1:45. The closest I was to any of these 14 was 0:35. The fastest of these 14 beat me by just over 3:00. That "race" is over for me before I even take my goggles off.

Now, let's be clear. I'm not going to Kona and I'm really only an above average local racer. Still, I'm very competitive and take pride in training hard and racing hard.

At 45 and having only started swimming 5 years ago (and swimming just twice a week..at best), I recognize I can not expect to match the guys who have grooved their stroke since they were 5. But they don't have a "started swimming 5 years ago" category in tri. So, I'm left trying to desperately cram 40 years and tens-of-thousands of yards into a 60-hour a week job and a family. And I'm trying to do it with two weekly 2500ish sessions at the YMCA.

Now, I'm also a good athlete. Multisport varsity athlete in HS (sub-2 800M, 4:30 mile, pole vault, kicker, soccer) and played soccer competitively up until a few years ago. In any adult basketball, hockey, or softball league, I would be your first pick.

Don't get all hostile, that stuff is not meant to provide a resume that rivals Ashton Eaton. It's only meant to give insight into my mindset of "Why the hell can I do every other sport but, in the pool, I'm basically an 8&under age grouper?"

This week, I had a session where I swam 10x50. My fastest was 0:44. My slowest was 0:47. The 44 wasn't the first repeat and the 47 wasn't the last repeat. I have moments where something clicks and I go faster but most times I plod along relying on my cardio engine to bail out my awful technique/position.

Many have told me I have a good stroke and just need to swim more. To that point, see the above.

At 45, I recognize my truly competitive days have an end date.

Maybe now you see why if you told me to wear TV rabbit ears during my swim sessions and that would improve me, I'd do it in a second. Given that, I don't feel so strange swimming with a monofin.

If you were the first pick in every sport other than swimming, I'd be the second pick (OK, maybe third for some sports given my lack of height, but not technical ability). It would not matter which sport on dry land, I would go from zero to proficient to locally good very quickly, but swimming is a completely different story. I have now put in 2000 km of swimming over the last 20 months and when I go to any pool, real swimmers confuse me for a real "swim team" swimmer. I'd just be a sucky swim team swimmer now rather than front of my tri age group swimmer. I should have put that 2000K of swimming in at 19 when I started tris, but my running was the strong point then so I just ran (ran 7:08 for my 1.5 mile military test, so 4:41 mile split in canvas military tennis shoes and military PT kit, not on the track....I wish I actually ran a real mile on the track back then for bragging rights).
Quote Reply
Re: No wonder triathletes hate the swim [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Maybe now you see why if you told me to wear TV rabbit ears during my swim sessions and that would improve me, I'd do it in a second.

Pix or it didn't happen.

I'm not falling for that. You didn't also say it would make me better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next