Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No training today...
Quote | Reply
We were on a weekend trip in Napa when we were woken up at 2:48 AM to evacuate as the fires were getting close and the winds were incredibly strong. As we drove home we saw over 50 forest fires, some coming right up to the road where we were driving and with the high winds jumping the road. Even here 60 miles away ash is everywhere and the air is very smoky. Needless to say, today is a day off as workouts in smoke filled air is no bueno.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: No training today... [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Needless to say, today is a day off as workouts in smoke filled air is no bueno.

That's a bit of an overreaction. There's plenty of stuff you could do. You can always ride a trainer, run on a treadmill or do an indoor swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep a gas mask on hand specifically for these type of days
Quote Reply
Re: No training today... [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
Needless to say, today is a day off as workouts in smoke filled air is no bueno.

That's a bit of an overreaction. There's plenty of stuff you could do. You can always ride a trainer, run on a treadmill or do an indoor swim.

Seriously, HTFU

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

Like the OP I also live in San Rafael. Given that there is ash inside my house, where exactly should I do this trainer ride?

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

The air inside my house is pretty smoky too. Everything around us is covered in ash. Not sure I am overreacting...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

The air inside my house is pretty smoky too. Everything around us is covered in ash. Not sure I am overreacting...

I'm south of you in Los Gatos and the air quality outdoors is bad enough down here that I won't be riding/running outdoors today. Thankfully I'm far enough south that the air quality in my house is OK. The images on the news right now of the fire are stunning. They're already calling it larger than the '91 Oakland Hills fire. Hopefully you're OK. Do whatever feels right to you. Working out with bad air quality is not a great idea. Missing one training day is not the end of the world, even though the tough guys love to tell you to HTFU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for a swim. They air underwater will be smoke free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know how many of our fellow local triathletes have been evacuated and are losing their homes? I know of at least 6 up there - Emily Cocks, Rachel Melick, Dave Latourette, Eric Gilsenan (IM Announcer), and many others. With so many friends in harm's way training is not a big concern.

Re: No training today... [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
You know how many of our fellow local triathletes have been evacuated and are losing their homes? I know of at least 6 up there - Emily Cocks, Rachel Melick, Dave Latourette, Eric Gilsenan (IM Announcer), and many others. With so many friends in harm's way training is not a big concern.

If you read my OP, I was also had to be evacuated today - at 2:48AM. You are right that today and the fires is a bigger deal than just training. I guess in my shock of what had happened like driving through fires with water soaked shirts around our mouths so we could breathe, I was just processing what else the rest of the day means for me.

Quote Reply
Re: No training today... [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:

Hope everyone is safe.

Quote:
They're already calling it larger than the '91 Oakland Hills fire

Wow - that's bad. Do they know how it started?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: No training today... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't know how they started (12 in all) and so far over 1500 structures gone and 0% containment and winds are starting to pick up

Re: No training today... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Do they know how it started?

Not that I've heard yet. I think firefighters are simply trying to rally enough resources to contain the fires at this point, and haven't yet gotten to trying to figure out a cause.
Quote Reply
Re: No training today... [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
I keep a gas mask on hand specifically for these type of days
One doesn't get much air in a gas mask. Walk up a steep hill with a sense of purpose and soon you're gasping for breath.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep,I'm in Mill Valley.Ash is everywhere and smoky enough that I wouldn't want to run indoors at my house either.Outdoor pools are closed anyway,for the time being,and kid's swim practices cancelled.
I have some friends up there and hoping everyone is safe and homes intact.Scary stuff.
Quote Reply