Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No showers at work. How do you keep fresh?
Quote | Reply
Throwin this out to the ST think-tank.

I want to start running at lunchtime but my office doesn't have a shower. I am always fresh clean and smelling nice so the thought of not showering after a run and then dressing for work is a bit....nasty to me. This is compounded by the fact that I sweat pretty good. So sticky face neck etc isn't ideal.

I'm thinking my best bet might be a wipe down with some sort of product. The question is this, does anyone have any advice on some sort of disposable wipe that will do the trick? You know, face, neck, arms, torso, legs, and even give the ole undercarriage a little 'who's your father'? So what say oh ST wizards, any one with a good tip?

Conversely, if you have any 'don't do that' advice, that will be welcome as well.

Thanks.

---------------
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing!
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [Trecca17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use store brand unscented baby wipes. Takes quite a few but I clean up in the handicapped stall in the bathroom. Along with some wet and dry paper towels does the trick.

I find it is important to cool down for a bit before you clean up. I continue to sweat for a bit so it is important to stop sweating before you clean up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marine shower- wet towel in sink and wipe down entire body.
Then wipe off with a combo of witch hazel and rubbing alcohol.
Add deodorant- then you are ready for the boardroom!
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does the WH and RA do?

---------------
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shower pill wipes are pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in with the baby wipes, unscented, and witch hazel for the under carriage.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously dude ??? Have you tried getting up a little earlier in the morning and running. Scheduling training isn't always easy, but then, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HBB wrote:
Seriously dude ??? Have you tried getting up a little earlier in the morning and running. Scheduling training isn't always easy, but then, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

Seriously, dude??? Have you ever consider that he may be doing other training in the AM, or may have other life commitments that prevent early AM training.

Way to be judgmental....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feeling less than fresh?

You could run early in the am before work, so you can get a shower in. And/or after work.

Only workout I ever did at lunch was swim.
Wouldn't consider run or bike, since I get really sweaty, and no showers at work.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? That's what your gonna come at me with.

I guess, according to you, I should give up my 6am swims.

Have you tried thinking before you post?

---------------
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha!
Reality is by time I get home it's dark and I don't want to get on treadmill just yet seeing as I feel I need more roadwork.

---------------
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shower pill. Hmm. I checked out their site, they sound expensive. Are they?

---------------
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not being judgemental, just keeping it real.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trecca17 wrote:
What does the WH and RA do?
Burn like crazy if you have open cuts or sensitive skin. Smile
While the alcohol can dry out already dry skin, both offer good benefits for skin care and are base ingredients of Dragon Wash (showerless wash).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Action wipes or other similar. They are very large baby wipes.

Is there a gym close by?
Don't know your commute or work environment, but even driving to a nearby gym and running from there might work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was just a suggestion. Such as, why not run in the AM and swim at lunch. That's what I ended up doing for the same reason as you, ie no shower at work. Of course in my case the pool is a 7 minute drive from work so I can squeeze in a 45 minute swim on my lunch. I run on my home treadmill in the AM.
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:

this works for me on the days our work showers are out - wet towel wipe down then dry towel, gets surprisingly close to clean..

or, you can be like this guy,
http://community.runnersworld.com/...running-at-work-pics
hits all the highlights of running from the office without a shower..
Quote Reply
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
bootsie_cat wrote:

this works for me on the days our work showers are out - wet towel wipe down then dry towel, gets surprisingly close to clean..

or, you can be like this guy,
http://community.runnersworld.com/...running-at-work-pics
hits all the highlights of running from the office without a shower..

Funny... The article wasn't all that interesting to me until I saw what trail he planned to run on. I'll be doing my mile-repeats on that trail later today (after work though... lol)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by vomer [ In reply to ]
Re: No showers at work. How do you keep fresh? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a deep tub sink at work. Put my head uner the faucet and shampoo my hair, head, arms, chest. Go in the changing room with wet towel and wipe the rest down. I wish I had a shower, but I can clean up in a out 5 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trecca17 wrote:
Ha!
Reality is by time I get home it's dark and I don't want to get on treadmill just yet seeing as I feel I need more roadwork.

Cheap headlamps or a small flashlight work for the nightime running. There is usually enough light around that the headlamp/flashlight is only necessary for 25% of the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't do it.

My officemate does his workouts during the lunch period and he does the "wipe down" that everyone here recommends. Even after all those wipes, alcohol, wet towels, etc, the guy still stinks like a MoFo. I don't really care about his sanitary habits but its annoying to work around him when he stinks like that - and he doesn't even realize it.

Go look for a gym nearby and get a membership.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I regularly bike commuted for a good 3 years, one of those years was a 20mile each way (40 round trip) that I did at least twice per week.

I work at a suit and tie kind of place - bad odors or bad clothing choices would be reflected in your regular reviews. Yes they had a entire category devoted to rating you and your peers on 'dress code.'

No shower available.

It worked fine. My 'secrets' as a guy:
- Shower immediately before your ride. Scrub it down. The stank doesn't come just from sweat - it comes from bacteria on your skin that thrive on the heat and sweat, so if you start with low bacterial load, you stay stink-free.

- You must use CLEAN bike clothing for the ride in. I know, sounds duh obvious, but it's surprisingly easy to think "well, that jersey from 2 days ago is dry now, so it's probably ok..." - no it's not. Again, comes down to bacterial load.

- Plan on easy pedaling in the last 10-12 minutes of your ride, add more cooldown afterwards if necessary. I hammerfested most of the commute, but it was essential to cool down to nonsweating condition by the time you set foot inside.

- A CLEAN towel will help with the drying process. Again, clean is key - the clean towel will help remove yet more bacteria that may have built up from the sweat and heat on the ride. I found that baby wipes or other coated wipes were not more helpful than a simple clean cotten towel.

- Go in early enough that people don't notice you in bike gear. People once they find out you're riding to work will start wondering about the whole sweat situation, and even one "is he stinky?" comment will tank your situation even if you're fresher smelling than all of them. Don't even give them the chance.

I had zero problems in all my years of bike commuting with this, and I ALWAYS tried to ride fairly hard - tons of sweat always occured on every ride, and I welcomed it.

It may be harder for women because of the gender biases and sometimes unstated gender expectations (makeup, hairstyling, etc.) that men are often not penalized on. I sympathize completely with women bike commuters who find the logistics impossible - it def can be for them given today's social norms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked a similar question here not too long ago, and I received some good answers: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5225805

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great tips everyone! Not sure this is going to work out.

I know I sweat a lot but have never really paid any attention to it. So this morning I switched up my swim so I could run before work and really pay attention to my condition post-run. I was thoroughly drenched and it actually took about 40 minutes to cool down and stop sweating...and that's after a cool shower. Didn't really cool down until I was in the A/C of the car heading to work. I'm having a hard time thinking wipes and a towel down would work much. Maybe this might work out in the winter!

---------------
@trecca17
Quote Reply

Prev Next