Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No love for St Croix?
Quote | Reply
Realizing that it is competing with Wildflower and St George(US championship) but a little surprised and sad that St Croix received minimal mention in the forum(other ten Dev's post), and no mention of results on the main page. How much will the loss of Kona slots for age groupers hurt the race and will the race lose some of it's luster for the pro field. I recall there being a few years where a lot of the big guns would hit up St Anthony the last week in April and then head over to St Croix.

It was my first half ever(probably not a wise choice) in 2008. I believe that Crowie and Rinny were the winners that year. I think Simon Lessing also might have raced it that year? I enjoyed the post race party. I was talking to Crowie at the post race party and he asked how my race was, I told him it was my first half and what my time was(slow). He responded with, "well, at least you got your monies worth."
Quote Reply
Re: No love for St Croix? [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the toughest course of any HIM I can think of, difficult to get too, no Kona spots. Doubt there will be any love for this one in the years too come. A shame, thought it was a blast the year I did it.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say this year it didn't have much luster with a whopping 14 pro's showing up to the start line.
Quote Reply
Re: No love for St Croix? [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This a great race with a long history. I went 3 or 4 years in a row in the early 2000s. The kona slots were definitely a big draw for me back then, but now that I'm coming back to the sport after a long absence (and no Hawaii aspirations) I would definitely consider going back. Great memories of the island and the race. I highly recommend it to anyone considering going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow...looks like less the 300 raced in total. Was on my to do list as my son gets older. Maybe even have a shot at 70.3 WC slot next year given how few people raced in my AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done the race, it has a hard ass reputation. That puts a lot of people off, but not all. Kona slots aren't a huge draw card for many of us so losing them may not be a biggie.

Here in NZ we have the Rotorua 1/2 IM. Since I haven't done St Croix, I can't say for sure, but RotoVegas is pretty tough, with a long steep hill at about 80km on the bike, and plenty of hills earlier in the ride to soften you up. The run is no walk in the park either. It's a tough race, but gets more and more competitors every year.

Some people just like to do a tough race to test themselves and know they've done a good days work. Hell, there's not even any prize money yet people still show up in ever increasing number. Hopefully St Croix survives for similar reasons. Racing down current, with tail wind on the bike with pancake flat runs doesn't appeal to everyone.

In some peoples views, a good time beats a fast time :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: No love for St Croix? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The loss of Kona slots has had a major impact on the race. I did it in 2012 in the M55...6 guys under 5:30 that year. This year only 1 guy in the M55 under 5:30 and no one else under 6...a full hour later until the next finisher. The race has never pulled in the kind of numbers you see at a mainland 70.3. It survives because they have an Olympic triathlon going on at the same time. But the pointy end of the field who specifically came to try for Kona, even if it was only a hope (like me in 2012), are gone, and those numbers were more substantial than you think. I would guess they lost somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of the field.

St Croix is iconic (and I recommend it), but it isn't the easiest race logistically. Folks who are racing to qualify for something can pick other options that are easier to get to. If it doesn't survive, I'm glad I did it.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: May 5, 15 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alittleslow wrote:
Realizing that it is competing with Wildflower and St George(US championship) but a little surprised and sad that St Croix received minimal mention in the forum(other ten Dev's post), and no mention of results on the main page. How much will the loss of Kona slots for age groupers hurt the race and will the race lose some of it's luster for the pro field. I recall there being a few years where a lot of the big guns would hit up St Anthony the last week in April and then head over to St Croix.

It was my first half ever(probably not a wise choice) in 2008. I believe that Crowie and Rinny were the winners that year. I think Simon Lessing also might have raced it that year? I enjoyed the post race party. I was talking to Crowie at the post race party and he asked how my race was, I told him it was my first half and what my time was(slow). He responded with, "well, at least you got your monies worth."

Yeah, 2008 St. Croix was awesome. That was Simon Lessing's "retirement event" to some degree. I have a cool story from that day. Simon was jogging in the Buccaneer resort on loop2, while I was back in loop 1. Anyway, when he saw that I had pulled even with him (this is saying more about his jogging than my pace), he decided to run beside me and "pace me". Seriously, here is the man, multiple ITU World Champ and decides to have some fun and pace along an age grouper hopefully to a Kona slot (I missed it by 1 slot).

I agree it was disappointing that there was no front page coverage. This is an old classic event. I am sorry I could not make it, but I took a new job in my company and had to be in San Jose for various meetings, so it was easier to go to Wildflower.

Here are some shots of St. Croix if it makes anyone interested for next year:

Your champions from 2008

Assorted pictures from 2012, 2008, 2006

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Beaty and the Beast" - In my mind, St. Croix is exactly what triathlon should be about. Gorgeous, ridiculously hard and hot course with iconic climb with a great name. I was at IM Austria talking to a pro and we ended up talking about St. Croix and he commented that isn't triathlon great that you can be half way around the world and talk about these common courses you have done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just raced it. The course was beautiful although it had the roughest roads I'd ever ridden. Great destination course to race and then immediately enter vacation mode. It's too bad about the low numbers, I don't want to see this race fade away.
Quote Reply
Re: No love for St Croix? [JayG508] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several years ago I had booked a hotel room for St. Croix already and remember going to the website to register. Something made me re-read the website to make sure they were still offering Kona slots. I looked and looked but the usual mention of Kona slots on the site were gone. I decided not to register for that very reason and cancelled my hotel room. Would still like to race there someday.
Quote Reply
Re: No love for St Croix? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say 3 years and this race exists as a local race with no WTC tie in or is done.

Sad imo.

Being a WTC race isn't an inexpensive option.

Kona slots mean big registration numbers even though 90%, maybe more, registering for the race have a better chance of finding a snowman on the beach in St. Croix than claiming a KQ spot.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply