Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No Biking, Running 3 Weeks Before IM
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker, first time poster here. This past weekend, at a happy hour with the GF and some of her co-workers. One of them was a college swimmer and did the shortened IMNC last year. We got to talking about racing in general and as I was talking about my buildup for IMWI this year, he flat out said that he wouldn't recommend biking or running at all, 3 weeks prior.

Alcohol was definitely a factor and I pretty much gave him the "okay dude, thanks for the advice response" and laughed it off. Anyone else ever get ridiculous advice like this or ever heard of this/similar strategy? Not at all looking to implement and didn't take this seriously but curious what "advice" others on here have received..
Quote Reply
Re: No Biking, Running 3 Weeks Before IM [dlandon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was drunk and luckily you will not take his advice or listen to him.

Keep working towards IMWI and we will see you out there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotten some ridiculous advice before, but that one is pretty good.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: No Biking, Running 3 Weeks Before IM [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also said I should only swim with a pull-buoy....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard of this in the context of it's better to undertrain rather than overtrain in the last few weeks before an event. Overtraining has much more deleterious effects. My wife was reading runners world at one point and they mentioned something like this as if you got injured, it would prevent you from being tempted to overtrain. As a drunk college swimmer at one point in my life, I can definitely recommend you don't trust what they say.
Quote Reply
Re: No Biking, Running 3 Weeks Before IM [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvinbal6 wrote:
I've heard of this in the context of it's better to under-train rather than over-train in the last few weeks before an event. Over-training has much more deleterious effects. My wife was reading runners world at one point and they mentioned something like this as if you got injured, it would prevent you from being tempted to over-train. As a drunk college swimmer at one point in my life, I can definitely recommend you don't trust what they say.

Blasphemy!!! Swimmers are always trustworthy, even if a bit drunk. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply