Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim
Quote | Reply
I was looking for a good website on fitting Tubies (the vittoria one someone suggested would not load) and I came across the nibble site. On there quiz page they seem to suggest a disk is not the fastest type of wheel. This seems to be contradictory to everything else I have heard.

On a side note is there any performance difference between flat disks and lenticular disks?
Last edited by: boing: Feb 5, 05 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm...let's see here...Nimble doesn't sell a disc...oh...I see...Nimble doesn't sell a disc...why would they claim one was fastest?...Better check further into how they came up with that claim...

I have no doubt they "proved" their theory...I'd just be very wary of the conditions they determined that claim to be true...This would be a hell of a "breakthrough" if they have turned 30+ years of testing on its head like this...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My one-person testing proved to me that the rear Crosswind isn't as fast as my 32 spoked Mavic Open Pro...at least not when fitted to a Giant TCR-1 nor a GURU Cron-alu'. Go figure.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
discs are faster than anything else.

Lenticular versus flat seems to depend on angle of yaw. Seems inconclusive to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"discs are faster than anything else"

I agree with this.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet, based on my observations watching virtually every Ironman shown on OLN, 50% or fewer pro's ride a disk. You have to ask yourself which is the case:
1. Pro's know disks are significanlty faster (4 minutes per Ironman claimed) but don't care that they are giving up this "free" time.

2. Pro's haven't figured out this "secret" yet...they don't read enough slowtwitch experts.

If it were really as simple as "A is always better than B" then everyone would have A. Otherwise, pick from above. Don't forget to include various TdF pro's, including world time trial champions, in the group of pro's that haven't figured the secret out yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, checkout the TdF, Giro, Vuelta or the Time Trial world championships. All deep rimmed front and rear disks. Kona does not allow disks.

greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yet, based on my observations watching virtually every Ironman shown on OLN, 50% or fewer pro's ride a disk. You have to ask yourself which is the case:
1. Pro's know disks are significanlty faster (4 minutes per Ironman claimed) but don't care that they are giving up this "free" time.

2. Pro's haven't figured out this "secret" yet...they don't read enough slowtwitch experts.

If it were really as simple as "A is always better than B" then everyone would have A. Otherwise, pick from above. Don't forget to include various TdF pro's, including world time trial champions, in the group of pro's that haven't figured the secret out yet.

Having a pro license card does not give one a monopoly on good sense (last I checked, there was no IQ test in the application package). Guys riding without discs are giving up time or energy or both, plain and simple. Even if you're going to sit in a train of guys at the front of an IM, having a disc means you're cycling at less power than the guys around you. It's really a no-brainer.

Our sport (and cycling) are rife with "lore" that has no basis in fact, and you'll see people doing all sorts of odd things and still winning.

And -- it's no "secret" for cripesakes. It's just that some people don't believe it because they've been told it's not true. Or, they've been told that the weight penalty isn't worth it. On all but the steepest courses (say, point to point with an uphill net), it's better to give up a little weight in order to be more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 7 little dwarfs were overheard aswell with the claim that a tiny p...s is better than a big one. But since they don't have a big one, how would they know? Tiny is all they have. :-)
Herbert
QR/Litespeed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reference to your lenticular v flat question. As everyone else always says "I read somewhere, but can't remember where" that if you have rear chainstays the flat disc is the best, but if you run a bike without chainstays the lenticular is best. As for the chainstays, its best to get the disc as far away from the frame as you can, hence the flat is better. For bikes without chainstays.....ie.....Zipp 2001, Softride, Titanflex, etc....the lenticular is better. oh, oh ,oh......I think I read this in Zipps latest windtunnel tests?

I've had both, lenticular (HED and Campy Ghibli) and flat (Zipp and "kind of flat" HED 3D). The Campy was the fastest but I'm withholding judgement on the HED 3D since I've only had it a few months. Read in some places that this HED 3D is supposed to be very fast, we'll wait and see!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you are claiming #2 then...the pro's haven't figured this out based on them not having high enough IQ's or enough "sense" to realize the necessity of racing with a disk. I'd think with all the money it takes to run a pro cycling team, Telecom would be able to afford such a consultant at least part time. Ditto for Normann Stadler, Lisa Bentley, etc.

here is my theory: Disk wheels might be measureably more aero under the right conditions...but under real world conditions the difference doesn't mean anything. I could probably trim the excess chin strap from my helmet and have more aerodynamic difference than between a nimble and a disk. I've read data showing disks are worse, written by poeple who claim advanced degrees in aerodynamics, so I don't think it is black and white.

BTW, I own both a pair of nimbles and a disk. The only difference I can tell is the sound or crosswind handling. But if you all agree, I'll take 4 minutes off my future IMAZ time for riding the nimbles over the disk.
Quote Reply
Re: Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"discs are faster than anything else" .....I agree with this. "

And let me add that a $60. CH Aero cover is just as fast as any other disc. A disc is a disc is a disc. And discs really are the fastest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHOA, guys guys (and possibly girls and dwarves) you are missing the whole damn point here. Who cares if discs are actually faster their main purpose is to intimidate people you are preparing to pass! That roaring sound, it's like a monster coming to get you and once they hear it they are thinking "shit, he has a disk, my lowly crosswind doesn't stand a chance, I won't even try to stick with him."

But then I did have a pair of Crosswinds. The guys at Nimble were great to talk to and I do believe they are saying that a disc is not the fastest in "all" conditions not that thier crosswinds are that much faster. Hope so, as I sold my crosswinds and now ride a 909 set up which I like a lot better... Crosswinds were nice though and the bracking surface was a lot easier on padds than my Zipp wheels. Only complaint I had was a little rear hub slip at times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote, "On there quiz page they seem to suggest a disk is not the fastest type of wheel."

boing,

One can suggest or claim anything. There is no law or restriction regarding this. Its proving the claim or suggestion that is the tickler.

You have also probably heard, "Let the buyer beware." It may apply in this instance.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot od Pros have sponsors who may or may not have a disk in thier line up. If they don't have a disk, then the pro doesn't ride a disk.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And let me add that a $60. CH Aero cover is just as fast as any other disc.

That's what I have.
Quote Reply
Re: Nimble website - Disk's are not faster claim [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, then 'xplain this...

On Xtri it lists the bike setups in the pro rack for IM Florida. If ever there was a course where a disk is a no-brainer, that would have to be it. Presumably any pro ridding Zipps is free to chose between 404 or 909.

On the mens pro rack were 11 sets of Zipps, 2 of these were dual 404 setups. On the womens rack, there were 7 sets of Zipps, 4 of them 909, 3 of them 404.

While disks are the clear majority, it is certainly far from unanimous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Er, for the same reason that people still claim the earth is flat, and man never set foot on the moon? Lots of room for personal choice in the world.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Okay, then 'xplain this... "
I can explain by observing the professionals are distinguished from the masses because of their physical gifts not their ability to perform analyses based on advanced aerodynamic principles. A better survey would be of the faculty and students at GALCIT (graduate aeronautics labs at CalTech) and see what this subset of the population would choose. I have good reason to believe they would go for the disk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

On Xtri it lists the bike setups in the pro rack for IM Florida. If ever there was a course where a disk is a no-brainer, that would have to be it. Presumably any pro ridding Zipps is free to chose between 404 or 909.

On the mens pro rack were 11 sets of Zipps, 2 of these were dual 404 setups. On the womens rack, there were 7 sets of Zipps, 4 of them 909, 3 of them 404.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Summer games 04:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ics04/?id=photos#mtt

Nothing but disks!

I guess the folks not using disks don't know about Slowtwitch.

greg
Quote Reply