Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nike Zoom Fly
Quote | Reply
Picked up a pair the other day, had to see what all the hype was about. Well these are the real deal. The way these ride are amazing. It seems the faster you run the better they perform. They're are very cushioned, but not in a Hoka "squish" way. Hokas have always bothered my knees. The carbon infused nylon plate in the midsole works. I thought I would notice the 10mm drop as I've been in 4mm for the last 2 years, but there was no adjustment time. You will see these or the 4%, when they come out, on my feet for 1/2s and fulls for sure.

Just thought I would share.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Picked up a pair the other day, had to see what all the hype was about. Well these are the real deal. The way these ride are amazing. It seems the faster you run the better they perform. They're are very cushioned, but not in a Hoka "squish" way. Hokas have always bothered my knees. The carbon infused nylon plate in the midsole works. I thought I would notice the 10mm drop as I've been in 4mm for the last 2 years, but there was no adjustment time. You will see these or the 4%, when they come out, on my feet for 1/2s and fulls for sure.

Did you run any faster in the Zoom Fly? I've heard lots of good things about them!
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's "faster" but definitely felt more efficient and responsive than I thought it would be. Looked at HR data and speed wise hr was close to same. No speed work in them yet either. So we will see

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the mini-review.

It looks like the Zoom Fly and the 4% share the same last. Are you able to confirm that?

How is the forefoot in terms of width? compared to Hoka? (which model?) Altra?

Thanks!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 4% when they come out have different cushioning and I believe the plate is all carbon vs carbon/nylon of the Zoom.

The forefoot for me is a bit too wide in what I normally wear (10.5), as there is bunching. When I tighten the laces. Going to try out a 10 with a thin sock to see if that works better. Not as wide as Altra but comparable to Hoka, just slightly less.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

What Hoka model(s) are you comparing it to with regard to forefoot width? PM me if you're interested in selling the 10.5's. Much appreciated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a pair. thanks for the feedback

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anymore thoughts on these? I'm debating getting a pair....I fear change and my Brooks launch is always reliable
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still love them. Ran 15 in them the other day and legs felt really fresh. Was easier to keep my pace in the last 5mi. Still not sure on size. I feel like I'm in between. Going to get a pair of 10s as well. The heel collar is high and rubbed my Achilles causing a blister last week, but lube solved that. Might be due to size as the heel cup should be tight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First run in them today. They check all the boxes for me. Cushioning: check. Plate prevents feeling rocks and keeps the cushioned ride incredibly lively and fast: check. The collar is high, but I wore socks to prevent any chafing. I think I'll be coating that collar with aquaphore prerace when running with no socks, and gluing the insole down, as it would slide without socks. A lightly lower collar could be room for improvement. The heel cup is seriously on the level of a carbon cycling shoe heel cup in terms of how it holds the heel - this wasn't an issue running, but could be tricky in transition. They fit true to size for me, someone that has to go a half size up in Altra.

Unlike Altra, they have room for morten's toe and on a run tonight with tons of descent, I had not toe issues as I do with Altra half a size up - on that note, the Nike's fit true to size for me, someone with a very wide forefoot. Few NB, pre-2012 Brooks, and Altra have been the shoes I've been limited to. To think that Nike got the width right is pretty darn awesome and surprising, though it should be noted that beside the forefoot, the rest of the shoe is narrow, which is good for my feet. Also, the Altra Escalante were too little cushioned for me. The Zoom Fly shoes have a perfect amount of cushion.

Today's run was on forest road for 18 miles with fresh gravel poured. That gravel, often quarter to half the size of a fist, would have been felt through my Altra Escalante's and caused nerve damage/pain and swollen feet in pain post-run. Feet feel very good tonight after my run. The base felt too narrow at first for the height of the shoe. I'm prone to roll my ankles when running on gravel that big, but had zero issues tonight even in the late stages of my run - I actually felt incredibly fresh towards the end of the run and my legs felt much less strained than compared to other shoes such as Altra, NB, Brooks.

There is no wear on the heel, but the foam has visible signs of compression. With the long-lasting shank/plate, I'll be interested in the possibly quick compressing foam is the limiting factor in the Zoom Fly shoe's lifespan.

Run: https://www.strava.com/activities/1074344241 (with photo of the shoes)

Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 8, 17 20:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody get the 4%?. they have sold out worldwide?. Seen some crazy prices on ebay!
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuckie M wrote:
Anybody get the 4%?. they have sold out worldwide?. Seen some crazy prices on ebay!

I got them. Planning to race then at IMLP tomorrow, though they are more different than the Zoom Fly than I would like for racing them with little training.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I still love them. Ran 15 in them the other day and legs felt really fresh. Was easier to keep my pace in the last 5mi. Still not sure on size. I feel like I'm in between. Going to get a pair of 10s as well. The heel collar is high and rubbed my Achilles causing a blister last week, but lube solved that. Might be due to size as the heel cup should be tight.

Same here. I got rubbing on my right achilles. It may a blister, then callused over. I ran in Pureflows for a few days and now, no problem.

As the OP mentioned, they feel really weird >9 minute mile pace. Somewhere around 8, they feel right and push you along. It is an odd feeling (good odd, feels fast) This was mentioned independently by 3 other people I know who run in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

I've had my eye on these, thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haven't gotten a blister, but definitely a bit of achilles rub that subsides once I'm sweaty. Need to remember to put some antifriction on myself and the shoe in the future. Still loving the shoes. Still feeling wide though, and this coming from someone who can't wear Hoka due to needing a wide toebox, and typically running in Altra. Best feel of a shoe I've ever worn. They did collect a noticeable amount of sweat today on a long run; more than I think other shoes would collect, but not 100% sure on that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zooms are definitely a shoe meant for faster temp runs. Slow runs they feel hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are they so expensive on Ebay?. surely they will make more and sell over the next few weeks or months?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run slow in them and have not experienced that. Ive experienced that in racing flats and spikes, but not these.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you feel they compare to the Altra Escalante? Also, what is your size in these versus Altra?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. Don't know how I managed to miss that....up too early on a Sunday I suppose

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an interesting trend I noticed with the zooms vs ON
Last edited by: Tony5: Jul 23, 17 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Chuckie M wrote:

I got them. Planning to race then at IMLP tomorrow, though they are more different than the Zoom Fly than I would like for racing them with little training.

I liked racing in the vaporfly quite a lot. I was sad to have to piss down my leg into my fancy new $250 shoes during the race đŸ˜–

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what does this show?
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoom Fly [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Light enough for fast women's 10k on the road or too much shoe? (Wife is ~33min.)

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next