Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com
Quote | Reply
I know theres some people that run in the VaporFly that don't want to pay resale so heads up theres some pairs in stock at finishline.com . I just bought a few pairs.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Feb 1, 18 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only there was a higher throughput factory in China that could pump out the carbon plates fast enough.

As a Nike employee, it's no easier for me to get my grubby hands on these than it is for you, and I get $0 off.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried these, what are people's opinions?

Besides ebay they seem super hard to get hold of
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [davidwilcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidwilcock wrote:
Has anyone tried these, what are people's opinions?

Besides ebay they seem super hard to get hold of
Loads of posts here and reviews elsewhere. Take your pick.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
If only there was a higher throughput factory in China that could pump out the carbon plates fast enough.

As a Nike employee, it's no easier for me to get my grubby hands on these than it is for you, and I get $0 off.

If Nike can't meet the demand, it'll be an opportunity for others to develop an ultra light carbon plated shoe & cash in on filling that gap. I know HOKA had a racer in the works that there were photos of several years ago--but they put the kabosh on its release & now it seems the photos aren't around the internet any longer. Not sure what it was called. It was prior to the Tracer being released I remember that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:

No staff discount?? That's shit!
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very few shoes get less than 30%, but this one literally gets $0 off.

More importantly, I haven't actually managed to nab a pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could have bought it twice since I subscribed to the page in the euro website. It's not that hard unless you want a specific colourway and they didn't happen to release it.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
chicanery wrote:

If Nike can't meet the demand, it'll be an opportunity for others to develop an ultra light carbon plated shoe & cash in on filling that gap. I know HOKA had a racer in the works that there were photos of several years ago--but they put the kabosh on its release & now it seems the photos aren't around the internet any longer. Not sure what it was called. It was prior to the Tracer being released I remember that much.

Ok found that Hoka with the carbon plate like (pre Vaporfly 4%), it was called the Hoka Carbon Rocket, but didn’t get released from what I see)—got scrapped for some reason. It was due in 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OTOH they have loads of too-similar-to-tell-apart models in their line and keep releasing updates that I fail to see how they answer what the customers ask for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Rocky M wrote:
chicanery wrote:

Ok found that Hoka with the carbon plate like (pre Vaporfly 4%), it was called the Hoka Carbon Rocket, but didn’t get released from what I see)—got scrapped for some reason. It was due in 2016.

Oh yes, I remember that shoe. I just thought it evolved to become the Tracer but now I can see that it was a much different shoe.

I see that Adidas has a Vaporfly competitor called the Sub2. It won't work for me as Adidas is only making them up to size 11 1/2. I've been saying this for 5 years...Adidas, you need to combine the sprintframe from the Feather 2 with the boost midsole!
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boost and feather can't be in the same sentence together :)
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I find most interesting is the number of un-sponsored triathletes doing great things in the Vaporfly.

I expect it in the marathon, but it seems like long distance tri pros are picking them up as well.

Bozzone and Jesse Thomas both with notable performances this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
What I find most interesting is the number of un-sponsored triathletes doing great things in the Vaporfly.

I expect it in the marathon, but it seems like long distance tri pros are picking them up as well.

Does Nike sponsor any triathletes? Seems Terenzo and Jesse have been running in the VF since it came out, as does Holly Lawrence (she also @'s nike on IG which lead me to believe she's getting something from them).

I got a pair off Runningwarehouse and got 15% off. Ran marathons in Jan and Feb that both were 6 minutes faster than my PR and 10 minutes faster than last years Boston time. Obviously it's not all the shoe, but I really like it. I also haven't felt as torn up after the marathons.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if Nike is sponsoring any triathletes. That kind of info seems to be hard to come by.

What I am most interested in is how the Zoom X foam holds up to mileage. I know a lot of the sponsored runners are basically training full time in the 4%, but I have not heard what kind of mileage they can handle.

It is my hope that the Lunarlon foam in the Fly is going to be replaced with React in the near future, and that they will do something reasonable with the tread in the heel. The carbon infused plate in the sole really adds a lot of stiffness, but the React foam is a revelation in energy return. Adding the two of them together would make a superior light weight trainer in my book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only got around 100 miles in mine but they've held up well. I'm also a pretty large runner. Just put a touch of shoegoo on my usual trouble spot and haven't seen any significant wear. I think the complaints are coming from people that don't realize, while it is $250, it's a racing flat. You're not meant to get Pegasus miles out of them. I was really surprised to see the number of people I've seen in the 3:30-4 hour marathon range wearing them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
chicanery wrote:

Does Nike sponsor any triathletes? Seems Terenzo and Jesse have been running in the VF since it came out, as does Holly Lawrence (she also @'s nike on IG which lead me to believe she's getting something from them).

I got a pair off Runningwarehouse and got 15% off. Ran marathons in Jan and Feb that both were 6 minutes faster than my PR and 10 minutes faster than last years Boston time. Obviously it's not all the shoe, but I really like it. I also haven't felt as torn up after the marathons.

At least according to Jesse's strava - he's in the zoom fly - the cheaper one - the ST review actually liked this shoe more. Hard to tell the differences even on Nike's website. Anyways - for what it's worth.

Cam Brown was also in VaporFly 4% or Zoom Fly as well...

EDIT - looks like Jesse races in Vaporfly and trains in Zoom Fly...so apologies!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Mar 3, 18 23:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the shoes don’t really give any effect if you are running slower than 6:30 mile pace, so guessing a lot of that is placebo.
I just bought zoom flys, but haven’t had time to test yet. If they feel good I’ll probably pick up vaporflys for the summers racing.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know folks keep saying that.. But i believe it is from the original research nike did.

They tested from 5 min miles up to 7 and showed a consistent 4 percent at all speeds. So the takeaway on this forum was, it drops to zero after that speed.

https://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/nikes-vaporfly-4-shoes-really-did-boost-the-running-economy-of-everyone-tested-says

That may or may not be the case... I don't believe there has been equivalent testing in the less that 7 minute miles, but given that much of the gain is from energy return of the foam, in not sure that it would decrease.

I also know the testing shows the effects going up to at least 6:53 min/mile not 6:30
Last edited by: dcohen24: Mar 4, 18 4:10
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah at least in Kona and Wanaka he was wearing the VF. There’s pretty noticeable differences visually between the ZF and VF. Looks like Cam was wearing the VF. For such a difficult shoe to get, those non sponsored athletes don’t seem to have a hard time getting them.

My last marathon was just above 6:30 pace and I still think the shoe helped. Placebo? Maybe, but was worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
What I am most interested in is how the Zoom X foam holds up to mileage. I know a lot of the sponsored runners are basically training full time in the 4%, but I have not heard what kind of mileage they can handle.
Review consensus seems to be at <400Km.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike VaporFly in stock Finish Line.com [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it is also driven by weight.

I heard Jordan Hasay say she was often wearing them for 20 miles a day. But she is sponsored AND sub 100lbs. A guy probably just drops off a duffel full of shoes every few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:

I heard Jordan Hasay say she was often wearing them for 20 miles a day. But she is sponsored AND sub 100lbs. A guy probably just drops off a duffel full of shoes every few weeks.
Mo Farrah changes his Pegasus every few weeks so I can't even imagine how that would work out with the VaporFly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:

So that is where all the stock went...they keep it to themselves. It's okay, the Adidas Sub 2 shoe goes on sale March 15.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Mar 4, 18 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the only evidence we have, wearing those shoes may result in getting sick and dropping out of your next marathon :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next