Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nifty Portable Repair Stand
Quote | Reply
https://www.granite-design.com/

Holds the bike up by the crank spindle. Looks like it's perfect for those that travel with their bikes frequently. I intend to get one later this month.
Quote Reply
Re: Nifty Portable Repair Stand [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am assuming this is for simple fixes right? Can you turn the crank with it on the stand? How sturdy is it? I feel for a stand that small/low to the ground and the price, I can just flip the bike upside down...

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Nifty Portable Repair Stand [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Says will be available at the end of May. So, I doubt anyone has one in their hands yet.

The pix show what looks like plenty of clearance for even platform pedals. With the adapter on the non-drive side, should be no problem to do drive-train adjustments.

The base legs look pretty long---This looks significantly more stable than *my* bike is when it is upside down resting on armpads and saddle.

My concern is with durability, as it looks like the joints are made of injection molded plastic, and the support arms are stamped sheet metal. But, its hard to tell from the pix. I'd rather see an all metal construction with solid rod supports for a few extra ounces of mass to know that it will last "forever". But, I understand there is an ROI, market value justification that must be made for that. If they can make a profit on $80 for the plastic-joint version....maybe they could make profit on a billet-joint version for less than $150? I think $150 is the upper limit on what I would pay for a stand like this assuming bullet proof quality.

EDIT: I tried to use their contact form to ask about the joint construction material, but I got an error. Might be my IT interfering with the form submission.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 5, 17 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Nifty Portable Repair Stand [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you my tri bike is far from stable when flipped upside down! I can't imagine I'm alone in that.
Quote Reply
Re: Nifty Portable Repair Stand [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it only lifts the rear of the bike. Idk maybe if youve got to remove the front wheel , the weight / balance will list towards the rear. I guess its pretty rare that youll need to remove both wheels at the same time at a race.
Quote Reply