Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nicky Hayden cycling accident
Quote | Reply
Nicky Hayden was involved in an accident while training in Italy. Those that don't know who Nicky is, he is a past AMA Superbike, and MotoGP champion, currently racing the World Superbike series. Nicky has been heavily involved in cycling for training. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/moto-gp/nicky-hayden-update-motogp-champion-wsbk-rider-extremely-critical-brain-damaged-in-crash/news-story/d8d72fcfc351df8c4671fca1d0f13df4
Last edited by: clydecat: May 18, 17 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrible news. Get well soon Nicky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Came across this in my news feed yesterday, doesn't sound good at all, latest news is that he is extremely critical with severe brain damage, i doubt the outcome will be positive unfortunately.

Lots of high profile incidents lately, it's not getting any safer out on the roads and Europe seems is not some dreamland of excellent cycling safety.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: May 18, 17 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wording in the different reports don't sound good at all. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, the outcome is most likely no going to be good. I can remember watching him racing for Honda (600 and Superbike) and how much fun he seemed to be having. Then the move to MotoGP, and the championship in 2006. After one of his injuries, found out he and his brothers were doing a lot of cycling for conditioning. Always seemed like a great guy. Hopefully the outcome will be positive!
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Came across this in my news feed yesterday, doesn't sound good at all, latest news is that he is extremely critical with severe brain damage, i doubt the outcome will be positive unfortunately.

Lots of high profile incidents lately, it's not getting any safer out on the roads and Europe seems is not some dreamland of excellent cycling safety.

Europe is quite diverse and big, do you know it?

You can have Italy, Germany, Norway, Serbia, Albania,...
I can tell you that cycling in Albania is not friendly as it can be in Germany or Austria

Then, within those countries, you have more or less dangerous regions.

Inside Italy, where Nicky had the accident, you have northern Italy (Lombardia, Veneto) which are paradises for cycling compared for example to...Campania or Calabria in the south.

Nicky was hit in Emilia region, not really super friendly for cyclists.

Please, avoid to generalize
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sad! And article I read this morning indicated that he was brain dead. I am hoping that this is just a rumor and there is a chance of recovery.

Nicky has always been one of my favorite riders. I also watched him move from superbike to moto gp and the few times I had an opportunity to chat with him, he was always very friendly and excited to speak with his fans (even following a less than stellar race).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is sad news indeed, will him to my prayers.
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First Michael Shumacher, now Nicky Hayden. Two motorsports champions who each survived numerous harrowing, high speed racing wrecks, and ended up severely brain damaged after doing something rather ordinary (for Shumacher, it was skiing).

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:

Do you do the same thing when people say things about the U.S., which has an area an entire 5% smaller than Europe?
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicky's father, earl, made a statement to Roadracing World, and says lots of false info around on the web, but that he is not dead, but on life support. From the looks of the car that hit him, OMG some very serious impact! My wife said, this is what I worry about when you go out riding. Makes me think about it a little more. No desire to not ride outside, but just need to be more aware, and aware of the impact on family.

I agree with your view of Nicky, always smiling, and appreciative of the fans. I remember going to Sears Point, and the race was rained out (water running onto the track even though the rain had stopped hours before) and Nicky was one of about 5 or 6 riders that decided to have an autograph session. The rest of the pro riders were in their warm garage or transporter, but he led doing something for the fans that stuck it out. Sure hope the best for him!
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

Do you do the same thing when people say things about the U.S., which has an area an entire 5% smaller than Europe?

even though the area difference doesn't mean anything, even though a person in California has much more things in common with a person in Florida compared to an Albanian vs. a Swedish, no I don't generalize in US
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

I can tell you that cycling in Albania is not friendly as it can be in Germany or Austria

Inside Italy, where Nicky had the accident, you have northern Italy (Lombardia, Veneto) which are paradises for cycling compared for example to...Campania or Calabria in the south.

Yes, please avoid to generalize about Italy too.

Somebody there (by look of the damage to the car) was at least breaking one and maybe up to several laws.

Wrong place, wrong time to meet a delinquent driver,,,, could have been a chicken, a cyclist or a child.
Last edited by: windschatten: May 19, 17 22:00
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

Yes, please avoid to generalize about Italy too.

Somebody there (by look of the damage to the car) was at least breaking one and maybe up to several laws.

Wrong place, wrong time to meet a delinquent driver,,,, could have been a chicken, a cyclist or a child.

if you read my first reply, i distinguish very clearly within Italy (I am Italian). if you want i can give some more accuracy within the region where Nicky was hit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not Italian, but I have been to the region a few times for training camps and the Nove Colli and I find the locals very cautious and cyclist friendly ... the tourists in Rimini are the much bigger threat - there must be more cocaine in Rimini than the whole of Colombia (not that I have any idea who or what caused the accident).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
German triathlete Julia Viellehner was hit by a truck in Italy too. She is in a coma now. She was brought to the same hospital as Hayden.
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm originally from Rimini, where Hayden was hit, and to me people are not cyclist friendly at all. First the roads are narrow and in very bad conditions, and drivers can't stand cyclists, they honk at you all the time, when they pass you maybe they give you a few inches of space. Oh and then there's people cheering online when cyclists get killed...
By comparison, now I live in Orlando, FL, supposedly one of the worst states in the US, and 99% of the cars give you plenty of space when passing and drivers are way more patient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damm, that is terrible. Been a fan of the Kentucky Kid for 15 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
German triathlete Julia Viellehner was hit by a truck in Italy too. She is in a coma now. She was brought to the same hospital as Hayden.

I just read they've amputated both her legs to try to save her :(

Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugghh, so sad. Her life, and her family's lives are forever changed. Can only hope, pray, think positive thoughts, etc for her and the family. Seems to much of this recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Nicky Hayden was involved in an accident while training in Italy. Those that don't know who Nicky is, he is a past AMA Superbike, and MotoGP champion, currently racing the World Superbike series. Nicky has been heavily involved in cycling for training. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Didn't make it. Very sad.

http://www.espn.com/...ffered-bicycle-crash
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad indeed! Can't fathom what the family is dealing with. Thoughts and prayers for his parents, siblings and fiance.
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Damm, that is terrible. Been a fan of the Kentucky Kid for 15 years.

RIP Nicky. Very sad loss for family and both communities.
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIP Nicky, you were an inspiration on and off the track.

Thanks,
Frank

http://www.morf-tech.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's being reported that Vielleherner died today, as well. :(

Last edited by: gary p: May 22, 17 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: Nicky Hayden cycling accident [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
clydecat wrote:

Didn't make it. Very sad.

http://www.espn.com/...ffered-bicycle-crash

This is heartbreaking, for everyone, condolences for his loved ones.
Hayden won a world championship against all odds beat one of the all time greats Valentino Rossi, he is gone way too young.

res, non verba
Quote Reply

Prev Next