Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie on Argon 18 w/ Shimano shifter question
Quote | Reply
Happy to be joining the Tri community after years of marathoning! My complete Argon 18 E-80 build is at the bottom; I am the newest of newbies but mechanically inclined and wanted to build this myself. All good. Everything is set except for this ridiculously basic, embarrassing issue:

Here's what I am working with:
  • Bar end shifter set: Dura-Ace SL-BS79
  • Front derailleur: Shimano FD-5700 105 (2x10)
  • Rear derailleur: Shimano RD-5701-SS

The problem is I cannot seem to get the left shifter to engage the front derailleur properly. It's a tension issue, yes? But if I tighten the tension to where it will engage it, the cable and housing are so tight from the bars back that a turn of the wheel/bars is not possible. Can't have that. And now I am going a bit crazy because I am wondering if I have the actual shifters flipped: The left one, the one in question, clicks five times when shifting. The right, which controls the rear derailleur, has just one click in base position but will indeed shift the chain nicely up and down the cassette, apparently through friction. So it seems right, but now questioning it all.

So, first off -- am I set up right? And if so, then I am puzzled as to how I can ever get the tension correct.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. The full bike build follows:

• Model: Argon 18 E-80
  • Frame: Thermo-Tech 3005; 1,640g
  • Fork: Aero-profile carbon integrated; 625g
  • Headset: FSA IS-2 with 15 mm top cover, (1-1/4” & 1-1/8” /45° cartridge bearings), FSA TH-875-1 star expander
  • Headset spacer: Single, carbon, FSA 1-1/8” x 5 mm with logo
  • Bar stem: EIS S5 3D forged CNC-machined 6061-T6 aluminum, 31.8mm interface with +- 6-degree rise (145g)
  • Base bar: EIS S5 6061-T6 alloy, 31.8mm clamp; 160mm reach; 400mm width
  • Tri bars: Tec9 Triathlon Aero TT Bars
  • Bar tape: SRAM super cork tape
  • Crankset: Shimano 105 FC-5700
  • Bottom bracket: Shimano Ultegra SM-BB6700
  • Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN 7901 10-Speed Chain - 116L
  • Cassette sprocket: Shimano Ultegra CS-6700
  • Seat post: ASP-4000 reversible carbon aero; 280g
  • Seat: Prologo Kappa Evo T2.0
  • Bar end shifter set: Dura-Ace SL-BS79
  • Front derailleur: Shimano FD-5700 105 (2x10)
  • Rear derailleur: Shimano RD-5701-SS
  • Cable housing: SIS Gear OT-SP41 (4mm X 10 m, Black)
  • Front brake: Tektro R725-FB
  • Rear brake: Tektro T822-1
  • Brake lever: Tektro extension level R/L, forged alloy
  • Brake cables: Shimano Brake Cable and Housing Set (Universal)
  • Mavic Cosmic Elite Road Bike Wheel Set

Last edited by: NegaTivSplt: Nov 30, 13 19:46
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie on Argon 18 w/ Shimano shifter question [NegaTivSplt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firstly, yes it sounds like you have the left & right shifters flipped - front should be on the left and rear on the right. If you release the cables, the front shifter should have one long sweep, the rear should have 9 clicks for a 10 speed cassette. So get the shifters on the correct side.

Second, when installing the rear cable, make sure the shifter is pushed all the way forward (smallest cog setting) and the cassette is on the smallest cog before you tension the cable and clamp it at the derailleur. If the shifter is in the middle of the range when you tension the cable you will only get some of your gears before the shifter reaches the last shift.

Thirdly, the issue with the cables being too tight and restricting the handlebar turn is because the outer casing is too short. You need to leave enough length in the casing so that you can turn the bars. If you cut it so that the casing runs the shortest possible route from the bars to the frame, then you won't be able to turn. The way to set the length is turn the bars while working out how long to cut the casing & cables. Once you've done that and turned your bars straight, you will notice that the cables are slightly longer that a straight run from the bars to frame, that's the slack you need to be able to turn the bars. It might be too late, sounds like you need new casing that's longer as you've already cut the casing & cables too short.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie on Argon 18 w/ Shimano shifter question [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the response. I have indeed now swapped the shifters (the sides were aligned correctly, just the shifters themselves were swapped.)

Rear derailleur and shifter working perfectly. Still have trouble with that front. It simply will not grab that derailleur and move it -- although I can at least get it to happen now when I turn the wheel sideways and shift.

I just had a thought that might be the issue -- I had used one continuous piece of housing, from the bars, internally into the frame and then out the underside. I am going to remove that - may be the issue. This would seem to not allow for proper movement of the cable.

Thank you again - you solved the first part for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie on Argon 18 w/ Shimano shifter question [NegaTivSplt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with your specific frame, but usually the front cable has a stop where it enters the frame in the down tube - the outer casing stops at the frame and the cable continues through the frame and out the bottom bracket. I have never heard of a front cable running the casing all the way through the frame to the bottom bracket, so that may be your problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie on Argon 18 w/ Shimano shifter question [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

The housing should stop at the cable guide under the bottom bracket. Then, the cable will go up and attach to the derailleur.

Thank you

Quote Reply
Re: Newbie on Argon 18 w/ Shimano shifter question [Argon18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful! Thank you! That solved it!
Last edited by: NegaTivSplt: Dec 8, 13 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it, excellent!

Have a good day!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie on Argon 18 w/ Shimano shifter question [Argon18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you ST search function! Installed new Zipp bars and extensions - and re-cabled without issue.
Quote Reply