Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie needs advice / recomendations
Quote | Reply
So, It's getting on two full years of hanging out here. I am not and never been athletic. Closest thing to sports I was a serious bowler. In school I would walk the 15 minute run, and they used a sun dial to time my 100yd dash.

Ok, So I use to ride a bike alot (the state kept asking for my license back). So last yr got a road bike and road 1K miles, by this Jan I was the heaviest I have been in my life (245) down now to 222. Starting running this spring, best time was about 12min miles for 3 miles. fell on the stairs and messed up my leg. Have not run since April. Leg healing will start to slowly run again.

Ok, Now for the question. I may have the oppurtutnity to pull some money togeather IF it will get me in shape and I run a HIM next year (think that is a realistic goal?) Note 3 kids under 8, and a 7 - 6 job.

So what would it take, I am thinking (not picking cheap , but picking good / reasonable):
1) Full Desoto wet suit -- $500
2) Titanflex (comfort) -- $3500
3) Fitting extra parts -- $500
4) Tri Suit -- $75
5) fitnes club mem 1yr -- $400
6) swim coach -- $ ??
7) tri/bike/run coach???
8) Life coach/ Nutrition (Lauren) -- ?
9) Training clothes /swimsuit / shoes -- $400
10) race fees / travel / lodging (from Mi thinking chips race) $ 600 (?)

Ok, am I missing anything, over doing it on the coaches. I am thinking I need people to put a training plan togeather then yell at me when I dont do it.

Looks like I'm in the $6K -7K range (how much are swim/bike/run/tri coaches any recomends in SE michigan).

The main goal, is to change my life into one of exercise and fitness, not sitting around eating. But I have realized I need a big push and lots of pushers.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Jul 2, 06 20:37
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie needs advice / recomendations [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My .02... put your wallet back in your pocket. You can spend 50K on gear and it won't help a bit if YOU don't WANT to make a change. A hired coach will help you tailor your training plan, but it will only help if you are doing what he says - plus it sounds like you already know what you need to do.

Here's my plan for you, free of charge:

Buy a few triathlon books - "Going long" should be one of them.

Join a gym and go there at least 5x a week, even if its only for 20 minutes.

Toss out all your crap-food. Start every meal with a salad and a large glass of water.

Find a local tri-club, masters swim group, or LBS bike group and work out with them.

Decide on a race, ride, or other event (HIM, if you want), then tell EVERYONE you're going to do it.

Start a log. Play with Excel - make up spreadsheets, graphs, etc. to track your progress and achievements.

Good luck... You can do it but it takes time, patience, and dedication. Sadly, there are no quick-fixes to years of overeating and underexercising; I sure wish there were.

--------------------------------------------
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." - Army General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, I started my road back to fitness last January at age 46 after taking like 20 years off. I wasn't quite as heavy as you but at 5'11" 200 lbs I was a little porky. There is no easy way into being fit again. I had to get control of my eating and slowly amp up the exercise. I'm down to 175 lbs, fit and happy. I made top 1/3 in my AG at Wildflower this year and did a MOP finish at Alcatraz. This year I also have scheduled a 1/2 marathon and century race. Next year I will move up to 70.3 race and do a marathon. Ironman in 2008.

You can do the same and I don't think it will cost you nearly as much as you think. I have 3 bikes and grand total they don't add up to $3,500. You can do better than that. I have never used a coach. Slowtwtch and articles in Triathlon Magazine are all I have ever needed. Buy a used wetsuit. I just let a 1 year old Orca Pflex go in the classified for $125.

Just do it! J.F.T - that's all you need right now. You can do it man I have no doubt. PM me I would love to help you.

Quote | Reply
Just ride the heck out of your road bike now. Bolt on some aero bars.

Set some intermediate goals and achieve them before upgrading/buying gear, getting a coach, etc..

Yes, you can do a H-IM next year, easily. Fast finish, probably not. Complete in respectable time? Totally doable.

Ditto on reading Going Long. It doesn't completely fit with what I think and how I always want to train, but it's really useful and CONSERVATIVE, which is exactly what you need.

Get your wife (and kids) on board. You work 11 hour days, for them, so they should be supportive of you taking some 'me' time and impriving your health and well-being as a side benefit. Give up any other 'me' things you might have like golf, etc. Easily doable.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave gets a FREE entry into Rockman Half Iron race for 2007...all you need to do Dave is arrive. PM me for details.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply